Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing

Products on television show

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 10-08-12
Forum regular

Default Products on television show

Hi all

Some of my suitcases will be shown on a channel 10 show soon.

Has anybody got any exsperience on the impact something like this has on your sales and orders?
we have had another products featured in print media and had huge sales but I'm not sure about televisions

Thanks

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 10-08-12
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile
Default Re: Products on television show

Hi Safe Skies,

That's fantastic news! Good on you

We will put a shout out on Facebook and Twitter for you, and hopefully someone will have some experience to share with you.

Fingers crossed it goes gangbusters!
Jayne

I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 11-08-12
Forum regular

Thanks Jane..

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 11-08-12
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gavin_S
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Safe Skies,
One of my clients had their products featured on The Block - it was fantastic exposure for them. The producers of the show were fantastic with letting us know what we could and couldn't do when it came to promoting the brand.
It's worth asking a few questions to find out what they will allow.
Good luck!

Gavin

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

One thing to beware of, is the ability of your website to handle a large increase in traffic in a short period of time. Many shared hosting servers fall over as a result of exposure like you are describing.

There are many ways to prepare your website - cloud hosting, VPS, distributed content (CDN), etc. Talk to your web host and ask them what you can expect.

Cheers,
John

spinninghill likes this.
  #6 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to spinninghill
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Safe Skies. Firstly well done - exciting times. I hope it goes well.

A question for you and others. How do you go about getting your story heard, be it by Print, TV or whatever?

Is it media releases, word of mouth (A good product or Service), who you know, or a bit of everythig?

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hello

Sounds fantastic, well done!

How did that come about? Was it a proactive push by you or a story of interest picked up by channel 10?

It is a high probability you will get traffic from it and I would think would be important to track the flow of clients to measure the effect. Perhaps looking at Google webmasters for traffic flow on the site re: keywords or traffic generally on the site name. Also when the volume of calls increases (btw can you handle that side of things also?) perhaps asking clients how they heard about you to measure the marketing funnel to see if it was from the tv exposure.

Keep the video also and post that on social media outlets. Do you have a YouTube channel, cross promotion through YT would be awsome too. I guess use the exposure to your maximum to let everyone know.

It is one thing to have a product or marketing reel on tv but another to ensure people know about it as it happens and in the future as a promo reel.

It is interesting what news of this does in our psyche I think, people are interested in "fame" and exposure. For example, hearing the news that you have posted has made me look into your business and product because I want to know what the hype is about and why people are interested. I want to be a part of that trend and this is a great thing for your business!

Well done indeed!

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 13-08-12
Forum regular

I just want to echo what onsitetechs said about traffic, and add a few extra points.

We had a client that was featured on ACA and experienced 12000 visitors in three hours. 12000 visitors x ~2 pages x 1MB of bandwidth = 24GB/3 hours.

Most hosting plans give you 20GB of bandwidth for the month, so you might want to check that out.

Assuming you have enough bandwidth allocated, as mentioned before, you might want to think about a CDN. They are very easy to implement using amazon S3 or something similar. Talk to someone about optimising your site for bandwidth.

If you are going to be featured in a week (as opposed to tonight) I would also make sure your website is found on Google for terms that are similar/related to you (or at least your brand). You don't want competitors picking up your customers.

Lastly, just make sure there is enough on your site for users to "do". For instance an order form or links to where they can buy your products.

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 14-08-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Linkedin Profile

If you're on shared hosting then it's possible the extra push of traffic could crash the server if you get too many people coming in at once; so hopefully you are on something decent and have good throughput. Talk to your host as someone else suggested.

Also, if you are accepting payments via Paypal, probably best to let them know beforehand you may see a big spike in sales as Paypal are infamous for freezing accounts when things happen out of the norm.

Couple It (14-08-12)
Old 14-08-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by createdevelop View Post
I just want to echo what onsitetechs said about traffic, and add a few extra points.

We had a client that was featured on ACA and experienced 12000 visitors in three hours. 12000 visitors x ~2 pages x 1MB of bandwidth = 24GB/3 hours.

Most hosting plans give you 20GB of bandwidth for the month, so you might want to check that out.

Assuming you have enough bandwidth allocated, as mentioned before, you might want to think about a CDN. They are very easy to implement using amazon S3 or something similar. Talk to someone about optimising your site for bandwidth.

If you are going to be featured in a week (as opposed to tonight) I would also make sure your website is found on Google for terms that are similar/related to you (or at least your brand). You don't want competitors picking up your customers.

Lastly, just make sure there is enough on your site for users to "do". For instance an order form or links to where they can buy your products.
I totally agree with createdevelop's and spinninghill's suggestions in regards to utilising CDN Hosting. You can offload your static content such as images, CSS and Javascript for example. You also have extra redundancy in place because the content is cached on different nodes geographically spread across the world so that visitors are served content from the closest server.

Shared Hosting does have its limits and due to traffic spikes, you might run into RAM and CPU limitations imposed by the web host.

Cheers,

Shaun

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing