Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing

Social Media can be exhausting!

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 11-08-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile
Default Social Media can be exhausting!

All day today I have face painted for the regional under 9 footy carnival, and helped the kids make slime. I am bushed but the social media has to be done. It's exhausting making sure you are mentioned and have covered all bases! Do other people feel the same sometimes?

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 11-08-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Myspace Profile View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Do you use something like Hootsuite to schedule future posts? I know you often have to respond to what's going on, but not a bad way to take a guilt-free break every now and then.

angela123 likes this.
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile
Default Re: Social Media can be exhausting!

It sure can...which is why so many of the business small business Facebook pages I see, start off with a hiss and a roar, and three months later have died in the process. I'm ashamed to admit mine included!

One of the main reasons why this seems to happen is that many users to do not have a measurable goals and a strategy that is consistent with those goals, just post and hope!

I agree with tootable - it's much easier to use a schedule of posting - Hootsuite is good and so is Bufferap, the paid version of which. allows you to schedule posts into the future. You can easily do a whole 1-2 weeks worth in 1 hour.

Then you just need to find useful content - try sharing others content and taking that in via RSS feeds into Google reader - and post the good stuff from there to Buffer.

Still need to make time to reply, comment etc though.

Cheers

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 13-08-12
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzah View Post
I am bushed but the social media has to be done. It's exhausting making sure you are mentioned and have covered all bases! Do other people feel the same sometimes?
It absolutely can be! However, I think the rewards are worth it. As Vossy mentioned, it's common to see small businesses start out with a bang, and then barely muster a whisper in the proceeding months. It's important to be consistent and perseverant.

Email: hello@thekindcleaner.com.au
  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 13-08-12
Forum fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewKeath
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
I agree with tootable - it's much easier to use a schedule of posting - Hootsuite is good and so is Bufferap, the paid version of which. allows you to schedule posts into the future. You can easily do a whole 1-2 weeks worth in 1 hour.
The problem with this is that your posts are more likely not to be seen (on FB anyway) and are less relevant.

Social media should be fun not a choir. Skipping a day is not going to kill your business.

Do it the next day when you are feeling fresh.

Say you have a Facebook, Twitter, and Google +. Jump on a check if there are any thing you should reply to. 10m max.

Craft a Facebook post, use the same one for Google + 5 m

Tweet when you want. 5m

Max 20m.

You don't need to post everyday if you don't want to, but it is important to check to see if you have any posts to respond to.

Start having some fun with it and it will come a part of your marketing you enjoy!

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 13-08-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile

...and with all marketing, make sure you are getting a reward for you effort.

People clicking a like button here and there can make you feel nice, but if it's not turning into $, you could be wasting your time.

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 13-08-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Twitter Profile

You don't need to post daily on social networking platforms in order to be effective. It is about quality, not quantity.

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 13-08-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Many businesses outsource their social media marketing and management. There are quite a few marketing firms out there (mine included) which take care of all the Facebook page updates, commenting, dealing with customer enquiries and managing photos and applications. What I've found is the majority of our clients don't have the time to worry about updating their Facebook pages, rather than forgetting, or not being bothered to do so.

I suggest putting aside the first or last ten minutes of each day to checking out your pages, replying to any comments, and posting a status update or two. Promotions can also be great in turning those fans into customers, so give incentive to those who interact with your page!

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 14-08-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's pinterest Profile

Yes, it's quite exhausting. It has taken me about 4 months to come up with a Social Media Campaign (Twitter & Facebook) plus another 2 days to schedule tweets for the next 3 months but I got the ball rolling and it's easier now finding content.

So far, I only have a few likes & followers but it will grow. I've given myself 3 months to see if this will generate any sales and if not, I stop wasting my time and find something else.

It can be very time consuming, even the checking of posts and tweets but you have to do it for quite some time to see whether it's worth it or not.

Good luck!

Regards,
Mel

Old 15-08-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerfood View Post
Y
So far, I only have a few likes & followers but it will grow. I've given myself 3 months to see if this will generate any sales and if not, I stop wasting my time and find something else.
l
Hi Mel - have you invested in discovering ways of increasing your followers/likes?
For example in relation to twitter - you can use Klout to find out other people who are influential in your space and then find out who is following them and do the same. There are good opportunities in Twitter lists, twitter #tags and even follow Friday.

There is twellow as well and twitter searches - all might help...as it won't work unless you make an effort to build your audience.

Have fun!

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing