Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing

Is gluten testing result necessary? (Help)

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 30-08-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Is gluten testing result necessary? (Help)

Hi all,

I'm Tan, just launched a home-baking cake business specializing in gluten-free and/or dairy -free cakes and less sweet (Japanese taste) cakes, based in Hurstville, NSW this month, August 2012. I really need advise from entrepreneurs who run gluten-free cakes business in Australia.

A little introduction about my business:

" I cater coeliac friends who are craving for super yummy dietary cakes, such as gluten-free and/or dairy-free, and for those who love desserts but can't have too sweet/too much sugar, less sweet cakes (Japanese taste) cakes.
Cakes are wonderful as they taste as delicious as normal cakes and they are hand-made, so if you are looking for something different and "super special" then this is perfect for you!
Proud to serve the needs of people who go for dietary foods.
Best wishes,

Tan "

I'm planning to advertise my cakes on a coeliac community magazine, but as new advertiser a gluten testing result is required. I found out from the quotation that I got from service provider, 1 sample will cost over $100 plus the admin fee around $30 per invoice. That amount isn't small amount for a small and newly launched business, is it necessary to get a gluten testing result for a business which making and selling gluten-free cakes?
I have a very limited budget at the moment and probably need to buy some more equipment, tools, cake tins/moulds, etc..etc..so every penny need to be wise-spent.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Tan

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 31-08-12
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile
Default Re: Is gluten testing result necessary? (Help)

Hi Tan,

Congratulations no all your progress with your business plan so far.

Have a look at the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website, and somewhere in the depths of it you will find information about labelling of allergens.

However, even if testing is not legally required, the magazine may still require it as a condition of advertising with them.

Good luck with it all,
Jayne

T4n likes this.
I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
The Following User Says Thank You to FS Concierge For This Useful Post:
T4n (31-08-12)
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 31-08-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile

Hi Tan

And if I may digress firstly for just a bit, hello Jayne. Yes it's been a very long while since I have been around for a number of reasons and I will drop in and out a bit even now, but I am still here.

Tan. You will certainly be aware of at least some of the issues of food reactions if you are into any sort of ...... free foods. I react to gluten badly and my children to different sorts of things.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mag. apart from the fact they obviously want to protect the quality of product advertised. This might be something you could consider when the budget is better. In the meantime I would be thinking more of the various types of food reactions for a start and not just for coeliacs. For instance, anyone with gluten intolerance may also react to so called gluten free products made in the same production plant as products with wheat in them. So you then need to make it clear whether there may or may not be contamination.

It might be worthwhile for you look at the various networks of food co operatives such as http://alfalfahouse.org/ at Enmore. And also investigate failsafe2@yahoogroups.com and the whole failsafe food scene. You may or may not be aware of Sue Dengate's work in the failsafe food area at http://fedup.com.au/ and her books.

In short, I wouldn't be put off by the mag, but be looking for other outlets and contact alternatives.

Recovering and preserving the recorded history of the last century to be seen and heard in the next.

Aureola Productions
www.aureola.com.au
The Following User Says Thank You to peppie For This Useful Post:
T4n (31-08-12)
  #4 (Link to this post)  
Old 31-08-12
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Hi Paul,

Lovely to see you

Welcome back, and thanks for sharing those helpful links with Tan

Jayne

I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 31-08-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Thanks, Jayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS Concierge View Post
Hi Tan,

Congratulations no all your progress with your business plan so far.

Have a look at the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website, and somewhere in the depths of it you will find information about labelling of allergens.

However, even if testing is not legally required, the magazine may still require it as a condition of advertising with them.

Good luck with it all,
Jayne

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 31-08-12
Forum newcomer

Thanks, Paul
Will do a bit of research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppie View Post
Hi Tan

And if I may digress firstly for just a bit, hello Jayne. Yes it's been a very long while since I have been around for a number of reasons and I will drop in and out a bit even now, but I am still here.

Tan. You will certainly be aware of at least some of the issues of food reactions if you are into any sort of ...... free foods. I react to gluten badly and my children to different sorts of things.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mag. apart from the fact they obviously want to protect the quality of product advertised. This might be something you could consider when the budget is better. In the meantime I would be thinking more of the various types of food reactions for a start and not just for coeliacs. For instance, anyone with gluten intolerance may also react to so called gluten free products made in the same production plant as products with wheat in them. So you then need to make it clear whether there may or may not be contamination.

It might be worthwhile for you look at the various networks of food co operatives such as http://alfalfahouse.org/ at Enmore. And also investigate failsafe2@yahoogroups.com and the whole failsafe food scene. You may or may not be aware of Sue Dengate's work in the failsafe food area at http://fedup.com.au/ and her books.

In short, I wouldn't be put off by the mag, but be looking for other outlets and contact alternatives.

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 01-09-12
Administrator

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile View Member's pinterest Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppie View Post
Yes it's been a very long while since I have been around for a number of reasons and I will drop in and out a bit even now, but I am still here.
Hi peppie!! Great to see you back Missed your avatar popping up around the place.
Cheers
Peter

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-11-12
Forum newcomer

Hi Tan

From a marketing perspective, your products cater for a specific "concerned market", where besides them being delicious, hand made etc. they cater to people that have genuine health concerns.

Therefore in my view, having your products tested professionally and independently by a reputable recognized service provider, can be one of the best marketing tools available to you.

If you add that information in your labels, website, magazines etc. you will have a clear advantage over products that have not invested in such key information about your products.

I understand that as a start up this may be a prohibitive cost, but if it was me, I would prioritize to have this prominent in any marketing material, relating to the products.

Good Luck
Gus

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing