Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing

Best way to market service base business

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 05-10-09
Forum regular

Send a message via MSN to imblogger
View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Best way to market service base business

Hi,
what is the best way to market new service business like cleaning company

news papers
magazine
online ?

I m looking to market in Sydney

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 05-10-09
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: Best way to market service base business

Hi
Are you targetting commercial or residential? If you are targetting residential then try and pick areas which have large houses and a wealthy demographic. Flyers and local newspaper would probably work best in these areas - although I think a lot of cleaners get work through referrals. If you are targetting commercial then maybe actually going into companies and handing your information over to the receptionist might be an idea - you could put together a professional information pack with your rates and some testimonials from other happy customers.

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 05-10-09
Forum regular

Send a message via MSN to imblogger
View Member's Linkedin Profile

Thank you for answer well your first idea is reasonable giving ad in newspaper or magazine but going in offices is very hard
I m offering both commercial or residential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideas Book View Post
Hi
Are you targetting commercial or residential? If you are targetting residential then try and pick areas which have large houses and a wealthy demographic. Flyers and local newspaper would probably work best in these areas - although I think a lot of cleaners get work through referrals. If you are targetting commercial then maybe actually going into companies and handing your information over to the receptionist might be an idea - you could put together a professional information pack with your rates and some testimonials from other happy customers.

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 07-10-09
Forum regular

For residential, do a letterbox drop and offer one house clean FREE.

And tell them the reason is you want to get into business and you believe your service is so much better than anyone else's that once they try you out they'll keep you.

People would take you up because all the risk is on you, not them.

Do a good job and you'll have a regular customer for life. And you can probably charge a little more too.

This works gang busters for lawnmowing/gardening businesses. No reason it wont work for you.

Do YOU get my weekly articles on copywriting and direct response marketing? You should. Get on my notification list now-> www.salescomefirst.com
  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 08-10-09
Forum newcomer

Hi.

Word of mouth is fantastic, but slow to start when you have a new business. Alliances are are great way to build up word of mouth referals.

Try to think of a few businesses in your target market that would get a benefit out of referring their customers to your business. For example, try approaching a bathroom renovation company and offering them a discounted rate for their customers, you might even find they include your service in the price for the renovation.

I bet a customer would be gob-smacked when you turn up to clean the carpets after a renovation has been completed!

Another couple of examples; painting companies, removalists, even carpet companies. I bet they have a heap of enquireis from people wanting advice on cleaning carpets. You might be surprised what they will send you.

These alliances are a win-win.

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 08-10-09
Forum newcomer

Don't forget your standard marketing stuff - I'm not an expert but plenty are here if you need more information. A memorable business name, easy way for people to contact you (magnet with phone number, or business card with website), and a consistent professional attitude and service with a point of difference.

YOUR ARCHITECT
www.yourarchitect.com.au
  #7 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-08-12
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imblogger View Post
Hi,
what is the best way to market new service business like cleaning company

news papers
magazine
online ?

I m looking to market in Sydney
An advert in your local area papers might be OK, but check what competitors are doing first so that you can establish a point of difference. Letterbox drops can be hit-and-miss but they are cheap to do and you only need to get 2-3 jobs to make it worthwhile (plus it's good exercise!)

I would pick an industrial estate and do walk-ins (so long as they don't have a sign up asking for salespeople to not come in without an appointment). A personal introduction and business card or flyer handed over can do wonders sometimes. For online, list in the free directories, Gumtree and even the services section on eBay if appropriate.

Depending on how much you spend and what the cost might be, contact local radio and see if they have any specials or deals on for small biz. Might be cheaper than you think to get something started there! (or maybe not!)

You could maybe do some sponsorship for local sporting clubs, especially if you are a member or affiliated in some way. Ask for either a cleaning contract or sign up around the club in return for cash/equipment/volunteer time.

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-08-12
Forum newcomer

lots of good advice there, another i would target is the Real Estate Agencies in your area.
Talk to the rental or leasing people and make yourself available at a moments notice for them, after all you are in the service industry and if you can back that up with great work I'm sure you will do well.

also it seems you are hesitant about cold calling on businesses, a few knock backs can only make you more determined.
Don't leave disappointed, rather leave your details and wish them a happy day.

Leaves a good impression when they next need someone

Divert To Mobile likes this.
  #9 (Link to this post)  
Old 04-08-12
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Hi chixfashionz and skywalker,

Thanks for your contributions to this thread. I think imblogger has probably moved forward on this now though as the original question was asked a few years ago. Unfortunately this thread got re-opened by a spammer

They've been banished now though.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Jayne

I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
The Following User Says Thank You to FS Concierge For This Useful Post:
bridiej (07-08-12)

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing