Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Search engines etc

SEO experts please!

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 16-07-10
Forum regular

Default SEO experts please!

Hey guys

My real estate website, LIVEin, ranks pretty well considering I haven't engaged in any SEO.

I want to change this, and was hoping some of the resident SEO experts could email me at

tamerik@youngnomads.com.au

Before you email, please check the site www.livein.net.au and let me know what you would propose to do, cost for doing the work, and the benefits you envisage.

I have Google Adwords which works great, so no need to suggest this

Thanks guys (and girls!)

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 18-07-10
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: SEO experts please!

Firstly absolutely gorgeous site!

But you should get rid of the splash page. The rest of the site is excellent, but the splash page is a great way to have a high bounce rate.

Plus, it's Flash. And you've got no metadata, so search engines see almost nothing when they go to your home page.

Check it out here: http://www.webconfs.com/search-engin...-simulator.php

If you absolutely must have your Flash splash page, then you can't neglect the metadata for that page, otherwise you get an organic search result like this:

Zero description, so users have absolutely no idea what you do.... and no reason to click on you when surrounded by much more relevant links.

Next, you say that LiveIn ranks pretty well, but I'm curious for what search terms?

I'm only scratching the surface, but as far as I can see you're ranking highly for the keyword 'Erik Tyler', but I haven't found any other terms that you're doing really well on.

The reason for that seems to be this URL:

http://livein.net.au/property-sales/...us/erik-tyler/

Which on the face of it, isn't a problem, except that the page is a bio for Adrian Southern.

You've got an AdWords campaign going, but my (admittedly minimal search) turned up just two paid ads for two keywords ('canberra rental' + 'rental canberra').

The trouble with those keywords is you're not only in competition with other property groups, but with any rental group at all - my research showed that of the top ten competitors for those keywords, four of them are car companies.

It looks like those two keywords cost you around $2.25 per click and the competition for them is large, including searches performed by users with needs irrelevant to your site.

Here's a freebie: 'houses for rent in canberra' has over 18,000 local searches per month and a CPC of just $0.09. There's more where they came from.

Now as I haven't managed to find a live version of your ad, I'm not sure if the ad just takes you to that splash page.

If it does, you might as well just throw away your ad spend - you've got two options: property sales and property management. Which of those is relevant to a searcher looking for a property to rent?

Neither.

The average punter needs it simple and clear. Rent or Buy. 'Property Management' says something else entirely.

I had to go into the listings to figure out if I could actually rent from you because your terminology is geared towards getting property owners to list with you, not having renters search your site for a place to live.

This is really important when it comes to your adwords campaigns. Google looks for relevancy: it provides what it thinks are relevant results for search queries. If you have a high bounce rate then Google assumes your site is not relevant to that particular query - your CPC rate can be adjusted upwards to favour sites that provide more relevant results.

One the other hand, if you get it right your CPC can be reduced by producing more relevant results.

The ideal scenario with adwords is to have different ads for different keyword groupings and for those ads to go to very specific landing pages relevant to the advertising.

Further, by providing more relevant results for what users have been searching for you increase your own conversion rates.

Is this something you track? Do you have conversion tracking setup for your various 'thank you' pages or on anything else you want users to take action on?

I know I got diverted away from SEO talk, but I feel that there really isn't a lot more I can say on the matter for the moment: the splash page will kill a lot of your organic search stone dead.

Alongside the URL problems and terminology issues, there's work that could be done, but I don't think you'd easily see the benefit you're looking for - i.e. high placement in organic search for real estate queries in Canberra.

There's a lot of competition going on. Not to say you can't do it, but I think you could do it quicker and more effectively with a better AdWords campaign.

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 19-07-10
Forum newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to jaycar
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile View Member's pinterest Profile

Hi Erik

I have sent your email address to someone I use at www.theexpertseocompany.com to see if he can help you with your web site. They are based in Melbourne.

I hope that's ok with you.

Cheers

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-07-10
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to altima
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Eric,

I like great analysis that Kelsey done, a good job.

I'll add just couple comments (while I am not really big SEO expert, worked with them a lot):
- seems that you web site is developed on Wordpress, it has very good SEO tools and plug-ins, so technically there should be not a big problem to do an optimization;
- almost nothing done with SEO currently, so I guess that even small efforts will return visible result in close future;
- do not kill your good graphic design with cheap and dirty SEO

Good luck!

Alex

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-07-10
Forum regular

Thanks Eric!

My data was by no means complete, and of course I wasn't going to go really deep for a Forum Freebie™ - I just called it like I saw it.

That said, I had to double check everything - I had trouble believing that such a meticulously presented site with what seems like some great clients would be so poorly represented in SEM.

It's entirely possible they're using 3rd party domains or subdomains in their SEM, in which case I would've missed it entirely.

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-07-10
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to Kelsey. Great overview of what needs to be done. Thumbs up.

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-07-10
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Good job indeed though personally I have almost always found that where Google indicates keywords can be had cheaply it does not last - sometimes not even for an hour!

Over the years I've chased many a promising looking low cpc keyword because it looks cheap in the keyword tools, got it at QS 7 or above with a decent ad and landing page only to see it blow out to $2 or more as soon as Google felt like it!

Fun and games

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-07-10
Forum regular

@DavidM - Thanks!

@Aidan - you're completely right, of course. SEM is not a 'set and forget' activity!

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-07-10
Forum devotee

Send a message via Skype™ to Jake@EmroyPrint

Whoarr!

I have nothing really to add, but I just wanted to say what a fantastic post by Kelsey.

Jake

Forum regular

Thanks Jake!

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Search engines etc