Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Search engines etc

Daily calls from "SEO companies"

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum newcomer

Default Daily calls from "SEO companies"

I am getting sick and tired of receiving daily calls from "SEO companies" wanting to get me on the first page of google 24/7 on adwords/ google! Does everyone experience this too? I wonder if anyone actually takes up these services from blatant cold calling?

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum enthusiast

Default Re: Daily calls from "SEO companies"

People do. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. You can get almost anyone to do anything if you're good enough. Everyone followed Hitler didn't they?

IMO, when choosing anything web related (or anything very complicated), best finding your provider by word of mouth. I think the people going for providers that operate in bulk (like those with big sales machines doing cold calling) would be advised to stay clear.

If it could be commoditised and done in bulk effectively, there would be a software package that could do it for you.

Myself, I don't get them as I don't have a listed number. Where are they from?

You could try;
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Belinda, I have been so upset by constant calls to change my phone service that I spoke to a very nice lady at Telstra recently who has arranged to monitor all calls. Telstra has also blocked all overseas calls as that's where most of mine were originating, although they are monitoring 'attempts'. I can use a pin if I need to unblock it for any reason. So far, it's fine like it is and I also have to keep a log to compare with their own records so as to identify private people that are ok as opposed to nuisance callers. Telstra said that it distresses many people hence they are trying to do something about it, and we are not alone.

Apparently, if the calls are constant and they do have a 'silent number' they are breaking all anti-spam laws and will be notified. All cold calls and call centre calls have to show the number so you can call back and check on them.

If the calls are constant and they have an actual number, they will also be notified. It doesn't matter which carrier as Telstra has arrangements with all the other carriers.

It's the first time in ages that I have felt that Telstra has been helpful and are really trying to see the customer point-of-view.

It's a real probem for sole traders and very small businesses. These cold callers don't take 'no thank you' for an answer and are blatantly going against the anti-call spam laws. For many of us where our phone is also our private number, this is causing major problems and is the biggest cause of complaints to the Telcos. Invading our family personal time is a big issue.

So, in the first instance, call your phone provider, and see if they also can monitor for a while.

I really don't want to have to give up on phone calls altogether, and neither I imagine do you?

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I get fed up of cold calls too, we even pay for a silent home number and STILL get people phoning up at annoying times of the day trying to sell us stuff.....

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda82 View Post
I am getting sick and tired of receiving daily calls from "SEO companies" wanting to get me on the first page of google 24/7 on adwords/ google! Does everyone experience this too? I wonder if anyone actually takes up these services from blatant cold calling?
Re the origional question, run very fast from anyone who promises to get you to number 1 in Google in 24/48 hours etc.

The particular calls you are talking about I have also received many times before, and i've listed and talked to them a couple times to learn what they were up to, even though I had no intention of going for it.

Technically they aren't anything to do with SEO (as they aren't optimising your website in any way), really all they are doing is using google adwords which is the paid search listings in a specific fashion.

What they allegedly have is a system to monitor bids so they are only paying just as much as they have to and no more for any given keyword, which gives you better value for money allegedly. If this is even technically possible I don't know. Their big selling point is that you only pay a fixed fee, which they are obviously using a set percentage of for adwords on your behalf, and the rest as profit.

For one site they rang me about (not marketingweb, another business), when queried they were surprisingly reluctant to give me a quote price. I was finally quoted around $4000 a month!!!!! which wasn't for the whole of Australia - just for NSW! This is also where they get you - you see results and presume you are at the top of the paid listings (which they "guarantee"), but it's generally only for one state, which Google Adwords lets you segment by. This was for a very competitive search term, but still a scary big figure.

This is one of the main reasons I primarily advocate SEO rather than paid search listings - as if you went for this, once you turn it off, you are nowhere to be found, whereas SEO generally has at least some longevity. I do actually use Adwords myself, but only for limited short term campaigns while SEO is being worked on or in ultra competitive industries, but not as a ongoing replacement for SEO.

Matt

Kenmore Driving School - Client site.
  #6 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Melinda B
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
It's a real probem for sole traders and very small businesses. These cold callers don't take 'no thank you' for an answer and are blatantly going against the anti-call spam laws. For many of us where our phone is also our private number, this is causing major problems and is the biggest cause of complaints to the Telcos. Invading our family personal time is a big issue.
I have been told - and I haven't verified if this is true - that if you're a business and have your number published on your website then the Do Not Call register can't be used. Because you've made the number public and it's for a business rather than private they are allowed to call you.

I agree, this is a huge problem for those of us who have our business phone as our family phone as well.

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum regular

In my opinion word of mouth helps make a decision in regard to SEO.

Via word of mouth I hooked up with a UK guy now living here who is a SEO gun....in my eyes.

Of course with this stuff $'s talk....and he kepts telling me this!

Seriously though I am very lucky to have found him as he is quick to get into projects and does not run over and his results are starting to show....his per hour rate is pretty good to!

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-09-10
Forum enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig_Longmuir
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

never had the cold calling from SEO companies but used to get a lot from very pushy toner sellers!

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 07-09-10
Forum regular

View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I get plenty of seo companies, (or scammers) filling out my contact form promising 1st page in google, I ban their indian IP address once I receive the email.

Old 08-09-10
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Thankfully one of the perks of only having a mobile number is that I don't appear on cold-call list very often. However, having said that, I do still from time to time get the SEO "we can put you Page 1 of Google blah blah" calls.

They almost always come through the phone as "Private Number" which makes me suspicious before I even answer. As soon as they start their spiel and I know its not a genuine service enquiry I simply hang up.

My Grandmother once said: "the phone is there for my convenience, not for any Tom Dick or Harry with the capacity to dial a number"

Hehe, funny old stick my Grandma

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Search engines etc