Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Selling Online

Marketing Ideas for website

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
Old 22-01-13
Forum devotee

Send a message via Skype™ to Shaukat Adam (Khalid)
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

The info here is worth it's weight in gold.

Unfortunately because it's "free", the intrinsic value won't be appreciated as much.

Marketing is all about entering the conversation taking place in the minds of your target market and your website will reflect if you are doing a good job or not.

John's post should be a sticky imo because too many "marketers" get lost with the media (seo in this case) and are unaware of what the target market wants.

The result is no leads at best and worst case scenario, a ton of low quality leads.

Johnw, consider repackaging it into an article and hopefully the smart folks at FS will publish it. This is one of those "needle in a haystack" posts that's worth more than a 100 posts. Combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Hi John,
For an SEOed website, most people don't visit the Home page to see what it is about, IMHO.

With few exceptions, they should land on the page that best answered their information search question or the relevant internal page linked from some external hard link. From there they may go to an "About" page, "Contact" page, "Portfolio" page, an alternative product page or to a page with more detailed info, but why would they need to go to Home?

An SEOed site should anticipate visitors info needs and be able to provide it and subsequent info needs in about 3 page link clicks. People are too busy to waste their time looking at info that is important to the site owner. Give them relevant answers fast, obviously and with an incentive to act NOW!

For a business with a range of products or services, I find the Home page is best thought of as a store directory board with the company name, its business category and its USP featured large. People don't hang around Home pages, they mostly use them to see where they can find the detailed info they need on the site. If it's not obvious, their BACK BUTTON certainly is and you have 0.2 of a second to arrest the automatic back button grab!

There are a bunch of variables that impact this. The 2 biggies are:
  • The effectiveness of the site's SEO
  • Size of the site
Effective SEO looks at people's search methods. These may include:
  • Business category searches
  • Product/service category searches
  • Problem searches
  • Solution searches
  • Location search words
  • A small number will use company/brand name searches.
I suggest it is impossible to define a business where there are not thousands of information search variables based on the above methods.

No single page can target all these search methods. A home page may target a business name, a business category and location. It cannot possible rank well for all the variables.

Crude Rule of Thumb: If you have a 50 page website and as much as 20% of visitors landing on the site's Home page, I would be looking for what is wrong with its SEO or where there are SEO opportunities being missed.
Regs,
JohnW

Forum devotee

Default Re: Marketing Ideas for website

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post
Thanks for responding.

I'd like to see that data, if at all possible.
Hi John,
I can't name the site but I happen to take out this Analytics data for a 296 page website yesterday...
  • Unique visits to Home page = 6% of all visits last month
  • Home page as site landing page = 5% of all visits last month
  • Ave pages per visit = 3.1
  • # Unique keywords used to click through to site = 2,939 last month
  • # Unique keywords used to click through to site = 32,429 last 2 years
  • Growth of traffic for the last 3 months year on year = 12%
Last year was the most turbulent one for Google Aust changes since it was launched. SEO does not have to mean instability in SE referrals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post
Have you ever played around with Crazy Egg or Clicktale.
I've not used Crazy Egg or Clicktale. Do you think this Google Analytics upgrade is likely to replace them?

17 Jan 13: Google Analytics to track individual links in webpages
Regs,
JohnW

Forum devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid Adam View Post
The info here is worth it's weight in gold...

This is one of those "needle in a haystack" posts that's worth more than a 100 posts. Combined.
Hi Khalid,
Thanks for your kind comments.

With all the Internet changes and new technology exploding around us, I find the basic principles of marketing that I was taught X decades ago still holds true today.

Technology changes rapidly but human nature and psychology is very slow. PT Barnum and Marshall McLure would love the Internet.
Regs,
JohnW

Forum newcomer

Just coming to this thread a little late – sorry if I cover something twice.

Can’t agree more on the “Tactics vs Strategy” comments. I have lived in the product production and online selling environment for the last 20 years and know that most people start by looking for those tips or tricks that will make prospects magically come to your site and just buy your product.

It just doesn’t work that way. A strategy is key.

Selling vs Marketing. They are related but different. Marketing will get someone to your site and Selling will get your product purchased. Assuming you fix the marketing part – lots of good advice in this thread – then the job of selling starts. Don’t get hung up on SEO’ing a Home page – think more about Landing Pages for different purposes that can be optimised in terms of their message to a particular segment of your market. Once they arrive on one of these pages – ask yourself – “what is the one thing I want them to do next”. Then remove anything that gets in the way of that one purpose.

Offer REAL VALUE to your prospect once they arrive. My golden rule is that Money will always follow Value. If you are not converting then you are not offering enough value, or you are not yet communicating that value to the prospect. There are lots of ways to do that.

Last thought is to be the real deal. No one woke up this morning wanting what you have – or what I have to offer for that matter. They woke up with fears, dreams, and aspirations. If your product is the real deal, if you are the real deal and it can deliver on a really BIG promise that you can communicate – people will buy it. This goes back to knowing your WHY before you attempt the WHAT/HOW of your business.

Hope that helps.

Aidan, JohnW and Shout Consulting like this.
Old 24-01-13
Forum newcomer

Hi all,

Again, a big thank you to all the contributors to this post, i really appreciate it.

I have had a good think about the input on this thread and decided that i need some professional help!

I am now looking to overhaul the site, the content, the message, design and the copy of the site. I would love some of you very helpful, knowledgeable and experiences folk to PM me with either a quote for the works needed or a referral to someone you know can help.

Thanks again
Dave

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Selling Online