Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business

Buisness name ideas for fashion store?

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 02-02-11
Forum newcomer

Default Buisness name ideas for fashion store?

How is everyone with names? i am hopeless and its doing my head in.
I will be selling ladies fashion sizes from 6-24, Im trying to find something simple like stores that are already out there city chic, crossroads, jeans west jays jays etc.. Any ideas? I was trying to think of words that meant for everyone or something along those line.. eek so hard.

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-02-11
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to AdvancedPetSitting
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Google+ Profile
Default Re: Buisness name ideas for fashion store?

Try this website - it's a name generator:

http://www.businessnamegenerator.com

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-02-11
Forum newcomer

This might not seem helpful but I was once told by a graphic designer that good names can be found by pairing a colour and a verb or noun. It is a way of creating meaningless but interesting company names that once used enough, people will just associate it with your brand, and not 'see' the weird phrase used.

Like: Red Monkey, Eagle Blue, Neon Sky, Walking Sage ... Yes random but that was his theory!

www.letsmakeawebsite.com.au
  #4 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-02-11
Forum newcomer

View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainsley View Post
This might not seem helpful but I was once told by a graphic designer that good names can be found by pairing a colour and a verb or noun. It is a way of creating meaningless but interesting company names that once used enough, people will just associate it with your brand, and not 'see' the weird phrase used.

Like: Red Monkey, Eagle Blue, Neon Sky, Walking Sage ... Yes random but that was his theory!
Oh Bless you Ainsley! I've been beating my head against a mind map for weeks! I'm going to give this a go tonight

Jen

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 04-02-11
Forum newcomer

Haha! Great!... All the best with it. Let me know if either of you decide on something and register it.

www.letsmakeawebsite.com.au
  #6 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-02-11
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2gt2011 View Post
How is everyone with names? i am hopeless and its doing my head in.
I will be selling ladies fashion sizes from 6-24, Im trying to find something simple like stores that are already out there city chic, crossroads, jeans west jays jays etc.. Any ideas? I was trying to think of words that meant for everyone or something along those line.. eek so hard.
Hi,

have a look at http://www.googleeasysearch.com
and you can see what people are looking for in google.
This might help you pick a name that people are looking for on the net.

Once, you worked out a name, you want to Trademark that name as quickly as possible. I've have several friends goto court because someone traded under their trading name. This expensive and time consuming litigation could have been prevented with a Trademark.

In Australia, to register a trade mark, goto
http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/index.shtml

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-02-11
Forum newcomer

Who is your target market? Is it for everyone young and old? Is the positioning up-market or price competitive?

For example, ezibuy.com.au has fashion for all ages, but the name screams "affordable". Whereas net-a-porter.com sounds quite "upmarket". Maybe think about what image you want your brand name to portray and then go from there?

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 08-02-11
Forum newcomer

Default Re: Business name ideas for fashion store?

This is a method that I have used myself and it often comes up with a great name.

Write down several names and then to go a thesaurus and look at the synonyms and antonyms.

These days you don't even have to own a thesaurus, just go to http://thesaurus.com/.

I hope this helps you.

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-02-11
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hello,

If you are going to have an online presence - I would suggest having a look at Google's Keyword Tool, type in a list of the key words that will best describe your product and see what words people are searching for on Google. From there try and incorporate a strong keyword into your brand name.

I would then suggest choosing your top 5 and do a little market research - such as conduct an online survey (www.surveymonkey.com), ask your friends and family, or by joining a forum about ladies' fashion and ask them what they think of your names.

I also agree with RinSydney - you really need to know where you want to position yourself and your brand, and ideally who your core target market is.

Good luck.

Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic View Post
Hi,

have a look at http://www.googleeasysearch.com
and you can see what people are looking for in google.
This might help you pick a name that people are looking for on the net.

Once, you worked out a name, you want to Trademark that name as quickly as possible. I've have several friends goto court because someone traded under their trading name. This expensive and time consuming litigation could have been prevented with a Trademark.

In Australia, to register a trade mark, goto
http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/index.shtml

Fantastic tip... At that website (IP Australia) - you can also access the trademarks database, which will allow you to do some basic searches when you have a short list of names to ensure they are not already registered. Not only is it a good idea to register your name to ensure you don't end up in court over other people using your trading name - you also don't want to end up there because you have started using a name that someone else owns!

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business