Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business

How easy is it to change your 'business name' on your ABN?

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-02-11
Forum regular

Default How easy is it to change your 'business name' on your ABN?

I'm about to start my own online business, and I am currently making wholesale enquiries and coming up with a business name.

I would like to go ahead and organise my ABN, but should I decide on my business name first, as I know an ABN requires a business name/trading name?

Is it easy enough to change my business name later, and is there a cost involved? Should I perhaps just register it under my personal name & then change it later if I need to? (I will later actually properly register a business name once I am ready to go ahead with things)

I'd really like to get my ABN now as it will make my wholesale enquiries much easier, and I can also start ordering a few things. I am just considering registering my business name, and my business name as a trademark also, but I think the ABN needs to be my first step so I'm not sure what to put down.

As you can probably tell, I'm very new to all of this

Thanks very much

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-02-11
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: How easy is it to change your 'business name' on your ABN?

Hi Niks

I registered a business name as a sole trader and got my first ABN. Two years later I registered two more business names (also with myself as sole trader) and my two new names were automatically given the same ABN.

A quick call to the ATO should confirm it for you - better to be sure !

Cheers
Wendy

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-02-11
Forum regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couple It View Post
Hi Niks

I registered a business name as a sole trader and got my first ABN. Two years later I registered two more business names (also with myself as sole trader) and my two new names were automatically given the same ABN.

A quick call to the ATO should confirm it for you - better to be sure !

Cheers
Wendy

Thanks, I'm guessing it will be fairly easy (and perhaps even free), but I just want to make sure. I just really want to get this ABN as soon as I can.

I actually tried calling the ATO and got the message that they were too busy to take any calls - I wasn't even placed in a queue

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-02-11
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Niks,

I usually put this type of thing into the hands of my accountant. He just taps away at the keyboard into the ATO site and gets things running smooth.

If you have an accountant, maybe consider having them to do the work for you. My accountant never charged me for doing this. Well, not that I know of.

Cheers.

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-04-11
Forum newcomer

Hello Nicks,

I wish I had noticed you post earlier; in case you are still wondering:

1. You can register an ABN without a business name: http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessT...mber(ABN).aspx

2. You can also register a Business Name without an ABN: http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessT...inessname.aspx

Note that asole trader does not have to register a “name” as long as you use your name and do NOT add any other word on the same line; eg:
Nicks
Technology
is OK, but

Nicks Technology
is NOT OK.

3. If you get your ABN first, you will need to update your details on the ABN register - different in different state/territory: http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessT...territory.aspx

4. Registering your business name as a trademark is another step: http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/tradem...at_names.shtml

The ABN registration is the only free step, for the others the fee will be given on the website.

Did you know that there is a really good deal for a "FREE" website at the moment; check the link below:
http://google-au.blogspot.com/2011/0...in-perth.html; I got mine done in less than 15 minutes (just need to spend another 3-4 hours to add the final touch).

Good luck, Niks! and don’t forget social media – twitter for businesses seems appropriate.

Cheers,

Daničle

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-04-11
Forum newcomer

If you want to register ABN sooner you can do it without a business name or if you want to change your business name later you can do it as well.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business