Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business

How to find business partners

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-06-11
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile
Default How to find business partners

Hi all

I'm looking to get a web based business off the ground and really need to get in someone that is technically minded or better yet, a developer experienced in wordpress in. Any ideas of what the best way is to try and uncover potential partners as I dont really have the funds at the moment to hire someone from elance or similar.

Cheers
Perry

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 22-06-11
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Bizzy
View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: How to find business partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintings for Sale View Post
Hi all
Any ideas of what the best way is to try and uncover potential partners as I dont really have the funds at the moment to hire someone from elance or similar.
Hi Perry,

I don't quite understand what kind of partners you are seeking. Would they be potential artists, buyers, developers to update content or website owners you could advertise on?

Your website looks pretty good to me by the way.

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-06-11
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile

Thanks for the feedback and reply.

It was for a new startup I'm considering, not the existing business in the signature, I guess i was looking for a developer/programmer to help me realise the vision and who would be interested in taken up equity in the new business instead of being paid up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy View Post
Hi Perry,

I don't quite understand what kind of partners you are seeking. Would they be potential artists, buyers, developers to update content or website owners you could advertise on?

Your website looks pretty good to me by the way.

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 30-06-11
Forum newcomer

View Member's Linkedin Profile

There are many factor to consider when choosing a business partner. Below I've copy/pasted an article I wrote a few years ago ...

Choosing a Business Partner
by David Berghouse.

I'm not going to go into the obvious criteria for the selection of partners such assuring they have the appropriate skills, experience and money - these should need no comment. The problem is that these criteria are often as far as most peoples' consideration goes. The questions of temperament, personality, values are generally not considered. This does not only concern their suitability to deal with customers in, say, a retail situation, but has much wider ramifications. It has a bearing on the chances of success or failure of the whole business regardless of the field in which you are operating.

Some of the essential questions to be answered include:
  • How their temperament/personality interacts with yours.
  • Are your working styles compatible?
  • How partners expectations will be realised.
  • Is there trust between the proposed partners?
  • How they respond, as against react, to adversity when the 'chips are down'.
  • In an adverse situation do they act constructively to solve the problem or react to defend their ego.
  • Their personal security/maturity - can they accept constructive criticism without getting defensive.
  • Again, do they act constructively to solve the problem or react to defend their ego.
  • Their emotional satisfaction in life. People that are frustrated in and with life tend to have short fuses (they operate close to the threshold of coping) and quite often can be fickle in their own commitment to their goals.
  • And not insignificantly, is there fun built into the partnership?

If the answers to these points are negative, do not go into business with that person. However on the other hand be realistic: you won't find the perfect partner, so some allowance for other peoples imperfections are needed.

And, be honest: you're not the perfect partner yourself, either.

In difficult business circumstances you need people who can be constructive and contribute to the solutions of the problem. You do not need some insecure ego-tripper who drains your emotional energy dealing with their hassles, so leaving you without the energy to work on solutions to the problem at hand.

Remember that the decisions that you make regarding the structure of the business are very difficult to alter at a later date once the business is operating.

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 30-06-11
Forum newcomer

View Member's Linkedin Profile

I would love to know a good way to find potential business partners too...

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 01-07-11
Forum enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to websitedesigner
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I've tried sending out emails and calling other web developers in the past to partner up and inevitably it has never worked. I'm not really sure what to suggest, although there are quite a few web guys on here, most people know wordpress so you could always post a summary of what you are thinking in the tech forum and see if anyone is interested. You'd have to tell them enough to generate interest but I guess not give too much away without requiring them to sign an NDA.

As a web designer myself I have spoken to a lot of people who have these startup ideas but dont have the technical skills and I think 100% or very close to 100% of them really didn't have enough to succeed. A lot of them think they've got a unique idea but it's something that's being done, others have no understanding of the costs - they just say I want a site like real-estate.com (got that email this morning) eBay, they don't know the millions that have gone into those businesses.

Most of these successful startups that people use as examples are either computer geeks themselves or they have attracted external funding. With no money whatever your idea is will be almost impossible to get off the ground, it's just the way it is, even word of mouth costs money these days.

Anyway not to turn you off the idea but I'd suggest posting some more details and getting some advice from a designer on whether there is anything in it before you look for partners as such. Feel free to emailme if you want my opinion, good luck.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business