Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business

Can a business succeed in a HIGH COMPETITION area?

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
Old 07-02-12
Forum newcomer

Default Re: Can a business succeed in a HIGH COMPETITION area?

P.S Can't believe how great this forum is....

sam_leader likes this.
Old 07-02-12
Forum newcomer

Surely that must give you more determination to stand out!

Just think about what you want your salon to be and make it happen. If you achieve it, the customers will flock

patrickcasey likes this.
patrickcasey (08-02-12)
Old 08-02-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Patrick - I am with everyone else - yes, you can succeed even with high competition. The trick of course is making sure that your audience knows your point of difference. I can tell reading this thread you are passionate about what you do and wish to provide only the best service to your customers, but as you mentioned how do you get them in the door to realise that's true about you and your salon?

What about:

* Customer loyalty program of some form? I know a number of salons have them - research your competitors and make your 'customer loyalty' scheme better and more appealing.

* Customer satisfaction guarantee? You obviously believe in the quality and standard of your services so maybe a "if you are not happy with our service your next hair appointment is half price" (or something) - guarantees seem to offer assurance in the first instance, but by making the guarantee something about their next appointment you get them back through the door rather than off to one of your competitors.

* Some sort of 'opening' offer, for example - first week only all hair cuts only $X (something that's such good value it would be silly to pass it up), or first 50 customers get a free product of some form. Market it by flyers/social media/word of mouth etc and always with the focus of your quality and standard; that the ridiculously low cost is really to provide your clients the opportunity to test you out because you know once they have they will come back.

I think in your line of business the benefit you do have is once you have a client they are not likely to go elsewhere so getting them through the door with the right offer/loyalty program/guarantee etc could see them remaining clients for a very long time.

Just my 2c All the best with it.

patrickcasey likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JacquiPryor For This Useful Post:
patrickcasey (08-02-12)
Old 08-02-12
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquiPryor View Post
Hi Patrick - I am with everyone else - yes, you can succeed even with high competition. The trick of course is making sure that your audience knows your point of difference. I can tell reading this thread you are passionate about what you do and wish to provide only the best service to your customers, but as you mentioned how do you get them in the door to realise that's true about you and your salon?

What about:

* Customer loyalty program of some form? I know a number of salons have them - research your competitors and make your 'customer loyalty' scheme better and more appealing.

* Customer satisfaction guarantee? You obviously believe in the quality and standard of your services so maybe a "if you are not happy with our service your next hair appointment is half price" (or something) - guarantees seem to offer assurance in the first instance, but by making the guarantee something about their next appointment you get them back through the door rather than off to one of your competitors.

* Some sort of 'opening' offer, for example - first week only all hair cuts only $X (something that's such good value it would be silly to pass it up), or first 50 customers get a free product of some form. Market it by flyers/social media/word of mouth etc and always with the focus of your quality and standard; that the ridiculously low cost is really to provide your clients the opportunity to test you out because you know once they have they will come back.

I think in your line of business the benefit you do have is once you have a client they are not likely to go elsewhere so getting them through the door with the right offer/loyalty program/guarantee etc could see them remaining clients for a very long time.

Just my 2c All the best with it.

These are all fantastic, ill definitely incorporate them into my plan! Thank you so much!

JacquiPryor likes this.
Old 08-02-12
Forum regular

Hi Patrick

Late to the party, but just wanted to let you know that I, too, work in a highly competitive field (copywriting) and the good news is there seems to be enough work to go around - among the good ones anyway.

You sound very passionate about what you do, and that's a big start. And I think your POD of being "a city salon in the suburbs" is a great idea. Not of we suburbanites are "soccer moms" and we like to look and feel great too.

Opening sales are a great idea to attract, and hopefully keep, new clientele, and I'm sure your happy current cients will follow you (is it still the case the hairdressers can't move within a 5 k radius?).

With all that said - my local shopping centre had four salons not that long ago and two have recently closed - one a franchise and the other a husband and wife team. The only two left are a "Just Cuts" and a small barber that has recently branched into women's haircuts. The one I went to was the franchise and, as I understand it, the lease expired and the shopping centre wanted to double the rent, so they closed up. I'm going to try the small barber (my kids go there), but if that's no good, I am willing to travel to find a good stylist.

Good luck!

patrickcasey likes this.

Last edited by BlackCoffeeComms; 08-02-12 at 04:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackCoffeeComms For This Useful Post:
patrickcasey (11-02-12)
Old 08-02-12
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to NickHumphries
View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcasey View Post
Thanks Guys.

Does anyone have any good ideas that would make an extra point of difference?. I believe that my biggest point of difference is in quality of work, and a different "larger" understanding of what customer service is and how to be professional (something i find missing around here normally) - these are great points of differences, but it wont get clients through the door.

Lets face it, doesnt every new business say that they will obtain qualities such as "good customer service" and "the best _____ experience".

If anyone has any other ideas that could really help me stand out of the crowd i would love to hear from you.

I am so passionate about what i do and its great to hear from people who are genuinely interested.

Thanks again
We fix $6 haircuts: http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=62304572001

patrickcasey likes this.

Explainer Videos for Startups
The Following User Says Thank You to NickHumphries For This Useful Post:
patrickcasey (11-02-12)
Old 08-02-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Twitter Profile

There ar plenty of hair salons in my area but I've gone to just the one in the area I live in because they provide a friendly service and always know what I want. Provide a top-notch service and soon word will spread and you will thrive.

patrickcasey likes this.
patrickcasey (11-02-12)
Old 09-02-12
Forum regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcasey View Post
Can a GOOD business really flourish when there are MANY businesses within walking distance of each other?
"a good business".. probably not.

A "remarkable/extraordinary/awesome business", absolutely yes!

Get your hands on Seth Godin's book "Purple Cow" for some great inspiration on being "remarkable" and how to stand out in a crowded market.

Good luck with it!

Angela

ps. My most memorable visit to a hair salon included as part of their standard service: choice of cappuccino/real coffee/hot chocolate, good quality biscuits, super comfy chairs and an extra long, deep scalp massage with every wash... the hair cut cost a bomb but it was worth every cent for the luxury.

patrickcasey likes this.
patrickcasey (11-02-12)
Old 09-02-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Patrick

Jacqui's points are great, that's what my hairdresser offers too. Plus a special deal for my birthday and an extra treatment when I rebook within a certain timeframe. And they have a 'recommend a friend and get a refund' program. Or raffles for everyone who on their visit books the next treatment.

I don't care so much about the quality of coffee or biscuits, they are good most of the time.
What I want from my hairdressser is that they are listening to my ideas and tell me if I'm wrong or if there is something that would suit me better.

I expect from a good hairdresser that their salon is clean, no hairs on the chair or table and a change of scissors should they fall on the floor (you have no idea how often this doesn't happen). No draught when you sit there waiting with wet hair.

And what I really would like (and so far I couldn't talk them into it) is if they would take a digital photo after a great haircut and store it in a database so that they always can go back to it for reference.

Anesthan and patrickcasey like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astrid For This Useful Post:
patrickcasey (11-02-12)
Old 09-02-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I love Astrid's idea of the digital photo for reference.
How good would that be and what a point of difference.

patrickcasey likes this.
patrickcasey (11-02-12)

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business