Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business

Starting an import business

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum newcomer

Default Starting an import business

Hi,

I am working on establishing a business importing premium brand Italian coffee to Australia. I am an EU citizen, currently living in Italy and I have been in touch with the maker of the coffee which is supportive of my plans. The problem is that I cannot find a suitable visa for immigration into Australia. I have a degree in public administration which is not on the "skilled occupation" list and I cannot afford the 800 000 AUD required for the Business Innovation visa. I was thinking of entering on the 3month business visitor visa, but this is not enough for setting up a business and it is also not clear whether I can even legally open a business on such visa. I am looking for at least 1year stay in Australia.

So, my questions are:

a) Do you have any advice for me? Am I missing any possible routes into Australia?

b) Would this plan work if I find a business partner in Australia? Where is the best place to look for these?

Thanks and best wishes,

Nace

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile
Default Re: Starting an import business

I would find a local business partner. And I have a friend who would be open to a conversation about this. Nothing more if you don't want, and nothing to do with me, but I do know he is very open to import business ideas.

Drop me a PM if you want me to put you in touch with him.

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum regular

Hi Nace,

Welcome to the Flying Solo forums. I'm not sure of the right visa for your purposes, but perhaps this website could point you in the right direction.

If you do get up and running in Australia, I look forward to seeing you around on the forums! Be sure to brush up on our forum guidelines before you start posting, and you might find the .Gov section on our website helpful for getting started. Especially the "Assistance for importers" page.

Good luck!

Jodie

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-08-12
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Cooke Consulting
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Hey Nace,

You may want to consider (on top of everything else) ensuring that the product you want to import into Australia complies with the Australian Food Standards Authority & that there would not be any importation / quarantine issues.

Cheers

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business