Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business

Starting an online children clothing business.

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 29-05-13
Forum newcomer

Default Starting an online children clothing business.

Hello,
I'm new on here. I'm currently a stay at home mum and now really keen on starting an online clothing business .
I've found small wholesalers in the U.S which i am looking at buying from and reselling. I'm looking at starting small through social media websites with friends to see how it goes then move on from there.

I've been researching for the past couple of weeks on all the Australian business websites, etc. but just not sure where to start with it all.

Do I need an ABN?, a registered business name? Is there anything i need to know about importing and reselling wholesale clothing?
Do I need an ABN to start, if I'm only selling to friends on social media...?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks, Cherie

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 29-05-13
Forum regular

Default Re: Starting an online children clothing business.

Hi Cherie,

We have a few clients that have turned what you are looking at into a successful business - with a bit of patience and the right marketing you should do well.

Although you are only starting out small, I would suggest that you treat the venture as if you were running a business. As such you would need to look at the following:

ABNs - I would definitely recommend obtaining one - you should be able to do this from the ABR website (abr.gov.au);

Registered Business Name - You don't need to have one, but if you have an idea in mind it is beneficial to register in so that someone doesn't beat you to it (now it is a national register you will be able to claim that business name nationwide) - when the business takes off you you will have the name ready to go; and

Insurance - Although you are only selling to friends on social media, you should take out a policy for Public/Products Liability as you are running a business (as you are importing you are deemed to be the manufacturer so if there are any issues you will be deemed responsible). Its always a good idea to take out a policy as you only may intend to sell to friends, but what happens when friends of your friends want to buy something? You also have piece of mind that if somes does get injured due to your product (say there is a pin left in the clothing) then you have a parachute to protect you.

There are plenty of people here with lots of advice - they will be sure to steer you in the right direction.

Good luck with it and let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to alliedib For This Useful Post:
Cherie10 (30-05-13)
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 29-05-13
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Hi Cherie,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and good luck for your new venture

You've got quite a few questions there, and Mark has kicked things off by pointing you in the right direction to start. I'm sure there'll be advice from others heading your way shortly too.

All the best,
Jayne

Cherie10 likes this.
I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
The Following User Says Thank You to FS Concierge For This Useful Post:
Cherie10 (30-05-13)
  #4 (Link to this post)  
Old 29-05-13
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Cherie,

I just wanted to clarify Allied's comment:

Quote:
Registered Business Name - You don't need to have one, but if you have an idea in mind it is beneficial to register in so that someone doesn't beat you to it (now it is a national register you will be able to claim that business name nationwide) - when the business takes off you you will have the name ready to go; and
If you are trading a business by any name other than your own personal name it is a legal requirement to register that name as a business name. Even if you're starting of small you may be seen as trading a business and would therefore need to register the business name.

As Allied says - the business name is now nationwide, allowing you to trade nationally under that name. Keep in mind that a business name does not protect the name - you would need to register a trademark to be truly recognised as the owner of the name. At the very least, and ASIC will remind you of this when you go to register the business name, you should ensure that your proposed name is not infringing the rights of an existing trademark.

alliedib and Cherie10 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JacquiPryor For This Useful Post:
Cherie10 (30-05-13)
  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 30-05-13
Forum newcomer

Hello to all of you,

Thankyou very much for your advice. Once I think of the best name for the business I will get an ABN register it and look at Trademark. I find a name, but turns out it is taken...I will keep thinking.

I will also look at getting Insurance, makes a lot of sense to have it.

Thanks again, look forward to getting more advice as this has put me on the right track to keep me going.

JacquiPryor and Ondetto like this.
  #6 (Link to this post)  
Old 01-06-13
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to martin.firth
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Cherie,

I've actually worked with a company doing exactly what you are hoping to do. I would definitely recommend you get in touch with me, as I can provide assistance at all stages of your business.

See my site for contact details,

Martin - The Web Guy

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 02-06-13
Forum newcomer

Hello again,

I have just been looking into the tax side of the business and would like to know if I need to register for PAYG. For instance when I'm importing from Overseas companies who don't supply an ABN on the invoice, does this count towards applying for PAYG as that is what my understanding of it is when reading to apply for one?

Is there anything else I should register for tax purposes?

Thanks Again.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Starting a business