Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Talking technology

Anyone using Pinterest?

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuart B
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Anyone using Pinterest?

I've started having a bit of a play around with it and it's fun. But is anyone using it as part of their social strategy?

I'm reading a lot of articles raving about how good it is for businesses.

B2B50 likes this.
  #2 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: Anyone using Pinterest?

I played around with it for ten minutes and realised that (for me at least) it would a big time waster...enjoyable, but a time waster lol

Wendy

dealflip.com.au likes this.
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to websitedesigner
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I signed up, I think I'm in love.

Aidan likes this.
  #4 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's pinterest Profile

I set up an account about a month back and decided to make a board for my Facebook Fan of the Week. Now it may just be coincidence, but since then my active fans have doubled and I've had more likes, comments and shares than ever before.

It will be interesting to see if that trend stays steady, drops off, or continues to increase.

Given that about 20% of my paid work comes through Facebook, I'll also be interested to see if that increase of fan activity translates to an increase in job queries.

Aidan, websitedesigner and bridiej like this.
  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I had a page, but the terms and conditions worried me too much so I deleted it. There are articles in the ether discussing the whole thing, this is one of them:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/pinte...tworking-site/

Apparently you're not meant to pin your stuff but if you pin other people's stuff you run the risk of being sued. If you're sued then you have to engage a lawyer for Pinterest and pay their costs. Doesn't matter whether you win or lose you still pay Pinterest's costs.

It sounds like a legal minefield.

The Copy Chick and BrettM33 like this.
  #6 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's pinterest Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzsSpace View Post
I had a page, but the terms and conditions worried me too much so I deleted it. There are articles in the ether discussing the whole thing, this is one of them:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/pinte...tworking-site/

Apparently you're not meant to pin your stuff but if you pin other people's stuff you run the risk of being sued. If you're sued then you have to engage a lawyer for Pinterest and pay their costs. Doesn't matter whether you win or lose you still pay Pinterest's costs.

It sounds like a legal minefield.
Yeah.. this is a worry. It's why I'm sticking to "Fan of the Week" - if anyone has an issue with me pinning their company logo, at least they'll know about it and can let me know.

I've not really added anything more to my other boards since the whole copyright thing was raised... while I would have thought most people would appreciate the free publicity, I can understand how photographers and the like would get upset.

Really though, surely in this day and age you have to accept that if you put it on the internet it's liable to be fair game. It may not be fair, but it's the unfortunate reality.

Rather than trying to sue the pants off of everyone, they need to be thinking up better ways of ensuring the original content creator gets recognition and financial compensation if need be.

Aidan and SuzsSpace like this.
  #7 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

I have an account with pinterest. But I don't know yet how it will help me when it comes to social media strategy.

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum devotee

Send a message via Skype™ to Shaukat Adam (Khalid)
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

All i can say is dont chase shiny objects. there is a difference between leads and sales.

there are people who are still making a lot of money via direct mail and telemarketing. the only difference is that they have a multi step sales programme.

same goes for online media. focus on one or 2 platforms and then learn how to connect, engage and convert leads. dig deep. dont spread urself thin.

just dont get distracted. even though the majority dont know how to monetise facebook and linkedin, there are those who do like copychick.

remember, it's not the media that makes you money. It's your message that is catered to your niche market via the right media that turns prospects into profitable clients.

Last edited by Khalid Adam; 21-03-12 at 04:24 PM.
  #9 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-03-12
Forum enthusiast

+1 this >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid Adam View Post
remember, it's not the media that makes you money. It's your message that is catered to your niche market via the right media that turns prospects into profitable clients.

Khalid Adam likes this.
Old 21-03-12
Forum enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to websitedesigner
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Yes but not everything is about making money. I don't think I make a cent using social media but I'll keep using it.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Talking technology