Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Talking technology

How to convert teleconference recordings into downloadable mp3 and ipod files

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
Old 17-02-09
Forum regular

View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: How to convert teleconference recordings into downloadable mp3 and ipod files

Clint,
I might also add, and don't get upset, this is for you to accept or not, either way I don't care ... but your comparison chart is either inaccurate or out of date.

Just as an example, we put in the figures to your excel spreadsheet of how we run our teleconferences. And, no matter how much I hate Telstra, your comparison that they would charge more than $1,300 is just rubbish. They charge us $90. And your fee of $231 is out of the ball park.

For the $90 we have anywhere between 50 and 100 people tuned in, get the recording and it can be downloaded as well.

Sorry old chap.
Rgds,
Ric

B: www.ricwillmot.com
E: info@executivewisdom.com
T: +61 7 3395-1050
Old 17-02-09
Forum newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to Clint.Davis
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: How to convert teleconference recordings into downloadable mp3 and ipod files

Quote:
I might also add, and don't get upset, this is for you to accept or not, either way I don't care ... but your comparison chart is either inaccurate or out of date.
Thanks for the info, I have double checked through telstra's on-line website (They also have a downloadable document.) and it is correct.

The prices they advertise are:
Digital Record - $50
Domestic Toll-Free - $0.605
International Tollfree - $2.530
Metered Access - $0.385

Total cost for 100 particpants: $1,155 + $50 for the recording.
What normally happens is services get discounted the higher the frequency of conferences and number participants etc.

So your on a good plan.

Now... to answer your actual question:
Quote:
How do I take these recordings and convert them to a format for easy download from our website?
both .wav and .mp3 are standard formats, and will play on most devices.

.wav might be a large file size, and that would need to be converted

http://philippe.laval.free.fr/DropMP...umentation.php
Drop MP3 - Based on LAME encoder supporting batch MP3 encoding. (open source)
(I don't have a mac so i cant test how this product works)

.wma is also a standard format for windows media player.
any windows os will be able to play this format, and any mac with windows media player installed will also be able to play this format.
- to get this on an ipod you might be able to import it through itunes and convert it.

the software above 'might' be able to convert wma files... give it a try. (dose not say on their website.)

Clint.

Director
Greymouse Teleconference
Teleconference Services & Hosted Teleconferencing

Last edited by Clint.Davis; 17-02-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 17-02-09
Forum regular

Thanks for that Clint.
We've worked out (thanks to Ola) how to do it VERY simply on my MacBook Pro.
But I appreciate your response.

Just to clarify (I didn't explain myself very well at all), the people who call in to the teleconference do so at their own cost, not ours, as I don't charge for the teleconference. It's a free service.

$90 with Telstra includes 100 callers, recording and download.

Thanks,
Ric

Last edited by Ric Willmot; 17-02-09 at 04:21 PM.
Old 18-02-09
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Willmot View Post
Thanks for that Clint.
We've worked out (thanks to Ola) how to do it VERY simply on my MacBook Pro.
In case any other Mac user wants to do the same, here's what I sent Ric in a PM:
Quote:
For .mp3, you don't need to do anything - that's the preferred format for downloads, fully compatible with iPods & every other portable music player.

For .wav, you'll already have iTunes on your Mac - drag&drop the .wav file onto iTunes, then go to "Advanced" menu and choose "Convert to MP3". If you wish to experiment with MP3 settings - for instance, if you wish to get better sound quality or smaller files - can't have both unfortunately... - you'll find the settings in "iTunes" menu, "Preferences...", "General" tab and "Import Settings".

For .wma, your best bet would probably be Switch - http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
(EDIT: As far as I understand - don't have any WMA files so can't check - iTunes for Windows can convert WMA but iTunes for OSX can't)

Old 18-02-09
Forum regular

As a note for many of us as professional and personal service providers; this PM I received from Ola reduced my stress in an instant!

His simple Luddite-friendly language allowed me to slightly understand what was required and put me at ease that maybe I can do it, if I read properly his direction.

For any 13 year old, they would be shaking their head saying Ric is a "Loser". (I think that is the vernacular by tech-savvy teens and pre-teens for old dorks like me who still reminisce about the wonders of the HP programmable calculator.)

But there are many of "me" around who become disinterested in customer service people who expect the client to know as much as they do. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. And, I have no understanding of how the manifold system in my 1965 Mustang works, much less the electronics-system of my 2001 Aston Martin DB7.

But I do have other talents and knowledge.

I am frequently quoted by clients, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication".

When your client's eyes glaze over; pause and consider if maybe you need to adapt the language you are speaking. People like me hold in the highest regard smart people who can speak to their audience.

A lesson for us all. Thanks Ola. Tavaton has a new advocate.

Rgds,
Ric

Last edited by Ric Willmot; 18-02-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 18-02-09
Forum enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Randall
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Willmot View Post
much less the electronics-system of my 2001 Aston Martin DB7.
Rgds,
Ric
I wonder if its similar to my 2004 Barina

Was driving down the road yesterday and past a black Lamborghini Galardo, I knew it was a Galardo because thats what the number plate said. Off topic I know but what a car....

Adelaide Computer Support
IT Companies In Adelaide

P: (08) 8377 7601
F: (08) 8377 7602
M: 0403 983 552
E: sales@creydall.com
Old 18-02-09
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

What's the old saying '.... of all, master of none'. You are right to ask for some guidance Ric in simple terms and I think that Ola has provided this to you.

I have the same problem with technical speak about computer hardware, html, electronics, or other gadgets at times. My husband is absolute tops. I'll get really frustrated about one of these items and he'll stop me in my tracks and explain it to me in layman's terms, or if he knows its really beyond me fix it for me. All the anxiety and stress goes out of my finger tips in an instant. I suspect this is what Ola has done for you Ric.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Talking technology