Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Working smarter

GnuCash - Accounting Software

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-02-10
Forum newcomer

Default GnuCash - Accounting Software

Hi all. I have been playing around with many small business/accounting software's and have found gnucash to be one of the easier but more advanced to use. It's userface is not as "user-friendly" as others i've seen, but it certainly has all the tools you need to run a small business.

The basic tasks such as creating a new customer, creating a new invoice, and keeping track of cashflow can be quite easy once you have the program setup for your own needs!

This app runs on these OS: Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, *BSD and Solaris.
It is also Open-Source.. so all the programmers out there can customize the program to suit their needs! Also, Linux provides this program with their OS.. so linux people, you may not even need to download the app.

Therefore I suggest people starting a small business on a tight budget check this program out before moving on to anyhing else that may be a bit costly. This program might fulfil your business accounting needs!

There is a good review here

GnuCash Home/Download Page

Please share your experiences with this software, as I would love to hear.

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 21-02-10
Forum regular

View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: GnuCash - Accounting Software

I too have been taking a look at this app.. i think it's worth going through the tutorial supplied to help you get a feel for how to use it.

Not used it in great detail, nor have i used the commercial alternatives, but it seems to be quite good

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 01-03-10
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile

I have also been using GnuCash to record our business transactions. As you say, once you get it setup, it works fine.
The only comment I would make is that I did our first BAS last week and found collecting the information in the right format a pain - I have to investigate further before the next one comes around. I reckon that I should be able to set up a custom report that spits out the right information, but haven't done that yet.

Kathy

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 01-03-10
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectNotes-Kathy View Post
I have also been using GnuCash to record our business transactions. As you say, once you get it setup, it works fine.
The only comment I would make is that I did our first BAS last week and found collecting the information in the right format a pain - I have to investigate further before the next one comes around. I reckon that I should be able to set up a custom report that spits out the right information, but haven't done that yet.

Kathy
Hi,

Just interested in this, as I too am evaluating an accounting package. Are the GnuCash files easily read by external programs? If so, you could easily rip out the data needed for BAS, without much effort.

With my business, I'm looking for a package that is extensible to the point where I can raise an invoice automatically, and allow a client to pay for that invoice, having all these transactions integrate seamlessly with the web and accounting package.

Cheers

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 06-03-10
Forum newcomer

I would highly recommend speaking to your Accountant before purchasing and using non mainstream accounting software. If your Accountant is not familiar with the software, it may end up costing you more in the long run if they have to spend extra time checking and extracting data.

This is something I have seen on more than one occasion.

The other downside to non mainstream software is finding a bookkeeper who can help you if you do need support later on down the track.....

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-03-10
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile

GnuCash allows import and export in QuickBooks format, so that is not an issue.

Kathy

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 13-09-10
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

GnuCash is aimed more for home finance record keeping and less for business needs, especially Australian businesses.

One important thing you need to bare in mind is SBR support.

If you didn't already hear about it, the Australian government has launched a new service/initiative called standard business reporting.

In essence is it intended to consolidate all business reporting for the various agencies to a common place using common tools (SBR using XBRL

The good thing for business owners is that we are now able to do things like submit our BAS, TFN and many other forms straight from the accounting software to the ATO. Using the SBR 4 steps process it will make it easier to get it right.

Check out the government SBR website for more details about this initiative and the supporting products available

http://www.sbr.gov.au/en/About_SBR/P...on_Office.aspx

Or see an implementation for SBR here http://www.nominal.com.au

And yes I know we all have to use MYOB but like Virgin says... "don't follow suit"

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 16-09-10
Forum newcomer

We own and operate several orphanages in the rural areas of China and for years we have done our accounting in two different systems. One in Quick Books Pro and one in MS Money.

The reason for two is we have to do reporting to the US Gov in US Dollars since our foundation is based in Texas, USA. We also have to do reporting to the Chinese government and since MS Money will both accept Chinese character input as well as Chinese currency (CNY or RMB.. as you wish) we chose Money for our Chinese accounting.

About a year ago I started switching our entire computing systems to Mac. We finally came to the point where we had on PC left and the only thing that was saving it's life was MS Money.

We finally started looking for a Mac accounting system that would replace money but that had to be able to accept CNY/RMB, take input in both English and Chinese and also be able to import our more than ten years of account data from MS Money.

GNUCash seemed to be the answer. Fulfilled all our requirements and quite frankly, for the last week doing tests with the software, I really like it.

Today I decided to start teaching our Chinese staff how to do input and low and behold...it won't take the Chinese characters.

I have read and read and from every thing I have read and read, it seems as if there is no problem with Chinese input but I can't get it to work.

I can input Chinese into Word, Text documents, Excel, just about everything... but not GNUCash.

I need help... can someone out there steer me in the right direction?

Thank You so much, in advance.

OS = Snow Leopard (All systems)
4 to 8 G Ram
500 GB HD (smallest size)
iMac Desk tops from 2008 to 2010
Mac Book Pro - 13" and 15"

GNUCash - Version 2.29

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 19-09-10
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Hi oowf,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and apologies that your first post on our boards got held up in our moderation queue before being published.

I'm not familiar with GnuCash, but in the past have had numerous problems trying to get computer programs and websites to function with Chinese, Thai and other languages that don't use the western alphabet. The same thing seems less likely to occur in reverse - so you may be better off finding a Chinese program that can deal with English.

Good luck,
Jayne

I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
Old 21-09-10
Forum regular

View Member's Linkedin Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oowf View Post
*snip*
I use neither Mac nor GNUCash, but I came across this post: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com...td1835718.html

It is a different problem to yours, but perhaps having Chinese as the first preference in the language settings prior to installing will help to resolve your problem?

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Working smarter