Overcoming fear of running your own business
It's normal to experience fear of running your own business before starting up. Even those with a strong desire to do their own thing feel this fear, and need to overcome it to move forwards.
It is undoubtedly a common emotion but unless you deal with it, it will hold you back indefinitely.
Have you dreamt of running your own business but found fear getting in the way of your success?
Chances are it has, because most of us are terrified of failing! We’ve been taught since birth that winning is good and failing is bad.
Well, what makes this true? Consider that the only true failure is not playing the game. By not playing, you continually avoid failure, but you neither lose nor win.
Fear is normal. Fear is a sign that you are growing and developing. Developing as a person involves getting outside your comfort zone. Moving outside your comfort zone usually creates some sense of fear. Fear is not the problem …the problem is how we respond to our fear.
Fear feeds on the unknown. If starting your own business creates fear for you, you can combat this by doing your homework. The more you know the less there is to fear!
"Fear is a sign that you are growing and developing."
Specifically, you could:
- Start learning about how to run a business: take a course, read some business books, talk to other successful business owners.
- Do your market research – you might have a great idea but have you researched its viability?
- Develop a business and marketing plan. Get help with this if you are not confident in creating them.
- Ask yourself questions like: what are the things you are worried about? What strategies can you create to prevent these outcomes?
- All business carries a level of risk. Get real about the risks your business idea has and start making plans to minimise them.
Want more articles like this? Check out the business startup section.
While I encourage you to learn as much as you can to ensure your business idea has the ability to succeed, the one thing you must do to succeed is.
After all, it doesn’t matter how much you know or how much you learn – if you are not “doing” it, it won’t make any difference at all.
Action is the single thing that will bring about results in your life. You can have a great idea, but ideas without action are worthless. You can have the best and most well thought-out plan in the world, but if you do not implement it, the plan is not worth the paper it is written on.
Taking action is the only thing that will get you closer to your goals.Action creates the momentum that is necessary to make things happen.
In my next article, I will examine some of the common fears associated with new businesses and show you tips for handling fear.