As a Business Class member we invite you to let the community know more about you and your business. Selected entries are published in our Spotlight section, appear on our homepage and are promoted in our Friday newsletter, Facebook and Twitter.
To apply, cut and paste the ‘interview’ questions below into an email and send through your answers to [email protected]. Please ensure you attach a hi res landscape* photo of your or your team (no logos please).
* ‘Landscape’ meaning wider across than down. The ideal dimension is 740×500 pixels and no smaller than 450×304 pixels.
The essential questions:
What is your name?
What is your business name?
In a sentence or two, tell us: What do you do? Who for? And how does it benefit them?
Where can we find out more? (FS directory page/Website/Twitter/Facebook/Google+)
And, if you let us know what two or three keywords people might use to find your business in a search engine and we’ll include a backlink to your website.
The curly questions:
Please answer between six and 12 of these questions, and be sure to give more-than-one-word answers. This is your chance to show your personality to potential clients, so take advantage of it! (Read more tips for making your Spotlight profile stand out below.)
You’ve got a free half hour during your work day. What do you do?
Who, or what, is your biggest inspiration?
When did you know you wanted to start your own business?
What’s the biggest thing you’ve learnt this year?
What’s the best bit of feedback you’ve ever had?
What’s your proudest moment?
What’s your number one way to wind down?
What’s your favourite film and album?
What’s the smartest bit of marketing you’ve ever done?
What’s the one resource you’d never be without?
What’s the most obscure business request you’ve ever had?
What or who has the most grounding influence on you?
What’s the biggest challenge you face at work?
What’s the best thing about being a soloist? And the worst thing?
What’s the best piece of business advice you’ve ever been given?
Where and when do you have your best ideas?
What would be your advice to aspiring soloists?
What website do you visit every day?
What talent do you most wish you possessed?
What would your mum say is your greatest strength? And weakness?
What’s one thing about you few people know?
What is the one regret you do not want to have in this lifetime?
What inspires you most about your work?
What do you wear to work?
What do you love most about running your own business?
Tips to shine in the spotlight
- Give honest answers that reveal a bit more about you, your sense of humour, your knowledge and passions.
- Avoid one-word answers: a few sentences long is ideal. If you’re struggling to think of more to say, give an explanation for your answer by answering ‘Why?’ (Why does that person inspire you? Why would you like that talent?)
- Give an anecdote in a couple of responses, as this helps bring out your personable side that clients and prospects can warm to.
- Avoid talking solely about your business, choose questions that you can respond to with a mix of personal and business-related answers.
- Avoid promoting your products too much throughout the interview. There’s a spot for that down the bottom, titled ‘And now comes the plug!’ and we’ll complete that using your responses to the essential questions.
- Upload a good-quality photo. This might be a professional shot or a more casual one. Whichever it must be good quality and ideally landscape. ‘Landscape’ meaning wider across than down. The ideal dimension is 740×500 pixels and no smaller than 450×304 pixels.
We always read over Spotlight profiles to check for any typos before publishing. Also if we think your profile could be enhanced, we’ll be in touch.
Questions? Comments? Let us know.
But wait, there’s more…
As a special bonus for booklovers, simply respond to this question “What book has had the most influence on the way you run your business?” and you could appear in a separate article like this.