1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

2016. I'll Show Your Mine If You Show Me Yours

Discussion in 'Get productive' started by Paul - FS Concierge, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

2016 has been a year to remember for me.

My cleaning business has more than doubled through the year so pretty soon we won't be able to call ourselves the little company that can as turnover inches towards $1M in annual sales

A theme that the Flying Solo staff have been interested in in 2016 is gratitude.

I think connections will be what I am most grateful for in 2016.

One new connection I made helped me out of a giant hole and when I thanked him, he replied, "That's what we are here for Paul. Don't worry, I've got your back".

I could have cried.

#Grattitude

I am looking for a change in direction in 2017.

You might not see MD Commercial Cleaning in my signature for too much longer.

But who knows and there is still all of December to complete that million dollar mission.

What was 2016 like for you?
    d3mad, bana, bradzo and 3 others like this.
  2. JohnTranter

JohnTranter Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've done very well! Good for you :)

Business wise, 2016 has been pretty mediocre.
    • Income is slowly increasing
    • I hired my first staff member, then laid him off 4 months later.
    • My biggest client has grown to the point where they're going to hire an internal dev, so that's steady income that will disappear.
    My personal life is awesome, but this business year has left me wondering if I should change direction.
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  3. Mischelle

Mischelle Renowned Member

What a lovely post :)

Business Wise:

Business was steady, with small growth which I am happy about as it allowed me to make the steps to change.

The market for my products is changing and I need to ensure I am ahead of the market in 2017.

I am changing direction completely, my current business applications and products take a lot of hand on work, so I have spent the last 2 years developing new systems that are more client managed.

I have a few clients waiting for me to finish, I adore their patience. and I am starting them next week.

So 2017 is all about getting the message out there for my new products and I can focus more on sales and marketing.

AND taking a holiday, the new systems allow me to be more hands off so I will make time. Hubby and I are desperate for a holiday.

:):):):)
  4. LucasArthur

LucasArthur Renowned Member

Nice post Paul, awesome to hear you kicking those goals and exceeding them ;) but most of all the best part of this post is 'gratitude' and the simple thankful things that we sometimes overlook.. Some may call it respect, others humanity and as in your case gratitude in appreciation of....

As for my 2016... tumultuous would be the ideal word...

Business:
    challenges
    This year has proven to be my biggest learning curve to date, which included uprooting and disrupting (read that as putting an end to) a negative partnership - more so having a model that was fundamentally correct, and yet the having an influence from another partner that insisted on altering this model to the detriment of the business which capped the growth potential that the model required...

wins
    Have begun working in areas I truly enjoy, which is helping others in business as well as recommencing a hobby of mine selling online - which i adore and love dealing in - more so the people that it attracts as well, they tend to be respectful and appreciative which is difficult to find in the online world sometimes with lack of loyalty in certain fields.

One of the biggest areas i am having a ball in is working with a few select ecommerce businesses and helping them in their fulfilment obligations - more so the tailoring the solution and becoming, i feel, a valuable member of their team to assist in the end to end solutions - very gratifying.

From this, its also the queries i am receiving. Conversion is a different story, for multiple reasons, although having just relocated and built a new website i am now starting to see the odd international query and gaining a new client each month (this is fine for me as i have limits of how many i can and am willing to help at this stage). And each client is awesome, very thankful for this, in that they have their goals and incorporate me into that and for this i also share my #gratitude.

Personal Life:
    As rough as the business one, although there is light at the end of the tunnel - or is that a train heading straight towards me ;)

Great post, as always.

Jason
  5. Cody

Cody Active Member

6. Paul - FS Concierge

@Cody I have been looking after MD as an asset and something I put first because I need to keep the promises I have made to my customers.

But I drive my wife mad when I share yet another idea I have for a new business.

Up until now, my commitment to MD has kind of held me back but the only real way of knowing if a business idea has merit is to find out if people will pay for what is on offer.

So I have come to a point where I have ideas and options and I want to put at least one of my ides to the test.

I want to back myself and I want more of what I had in my employment gig - the opportunity to genuinely help people.
    SuzsSpace likes this.
  7. talart

talart Member

2016 has been the year of results and culmination of plans and dreams

After 4 years my accommodation business has reached optimum levels.
    Income was excellent

Then an offer was made that had me at full house for mid December to March 2017. With settled pre-bookings until May also.

Serendipity seems to have kicked in. This allowed me to concentrate on Mobile app development ideas since August. First app published in September. The third app was published this week and the downloads and income is excellent right from the start. Flaming tiring though with approx 750 hours plus put in at least since August.

Downside, played 20 less rounds of competition golf compared to last year.
    Upside was ready to step up with a new direction for a while and it happened, the golf will follow.

Personal life has been great fun as well. mixed with standard everyday life and a lot more travelling and entertainment.
    2017 will be a hoot, upping the tempo of work and even wearing a suit and shoes more often.
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  8. Cody

Cody Active Member

That's really cool. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing the transition.
  9. Paul - FS Concierge

@talart That is a very inspiring story. The accommodation industry is a hard slog and you have come out the other side:)

Do you blog about the experience of going down the App development rabbit hole because I would love to read about it?

I am sure our Editor @Kelly Exeter FS Editor would love you to submit a story about your experience!

As a practising soloist, I shed just a little tear for you - a very small one, when I read the words "suit and shoes" - ha, ha.
  10. Paul - FS Concierge

@LucasArthur Choo, choo?

Just kidding!

But to extend the train metaphor, sounds like your new business is moving along like a freight train - it rolls out slowly in the beginning but moves inexorably to its destination.

Good luck in 2017!
  11. Paul - FS Concierge

@Mischelle Please, please stick around the Forums in 2017 so you can continue to be my inspiration!

And have the best holiday of your life.
    bradzo likes this.
  12. gingerbeardhs

gingerbeardhs Member

2016 has been a massive year for me.

It has been a full 12 months since I have made the real "big leap" from having an idea and dreams to having a steady work-flow.

I have found the kind of work I don't like to do.

I have found the kind of work I don't mind doing.

I have found the kind of work I love to do.

I have found some really great clients and business connections.

I have also managed to pass 2 semesters studying full-time albeit first and second year courses. Next year I'll be reducing the study to 3 courses a semester to hopefully maintain a good balance.

I know what kind of direction I want to take in 2017 (more of the work I love to do & great clients, and at least one overseas holiday) and I will hopefully be able to navigate that way.
  13. Paul - FS Concierge

Hi @JohnTranter Your post moved me - I have thought of it often since you posted.

Sometimes a crossroads or inflection point can move us to positive change in a way we would never think of in times where we are cruising along.

If you are there now, I hope that 2017 will be your year.

Thanks for posting!
    bradzo and JohnTranter like this.
  14. Mischelle

Mischelle Renowned Member

Awwww, thanks Paul, I will still be around, I love learning from everyone and giving back when I can. It's amazing the knowledge that's available on this forum, I love this place. :)
    bradzo and gingerbeardhs like this.
  15. Delphic

Delphic Member

2016 has been a roller coaster ride of epic proportions. After setting up as a consultancy in 2015, changing the business model to provide services to businesses directly took off a little too well.

I'll never complain about getting clients on-board but I had planned a much slower growth rate and as such many of my weekends have been spent working on the business because of this rapid growth rather than with my partner. This greatly upset the work / life balance the business was supposed to help me achieve. And the 2 offers to buy the business only added more fuel to the fire. Thankfully we survived this and we are going to enjoy a Christmas break.

For the sacrifice, it has been heartening at least that my clients have appreciated my work with my conversion rate 3 times higher than the industry average, and all with no formal marketing plan.

My biggest achievement however is actually getting my first board appointment for a not for profit foundation. Charity work and volunteering is something I am passionate about, and through meeting people at one of the hundreds of networking meetings I've been to this year I was lucky to meet some truly inspirational people, and the opportunity to get involved.

So my 2017 is going to be focused on improving processes and documenting them with a view to hiring some staff in the new financial year hopefully.

I'm also going to spend more time on me and my relationship, for this is the reason I do what I do and neglecting this aspect of life is only asking for trouble, I finally see it.

#longpost #longyear
    bradzo likes this.
  16. Paul - FS Concierge

#awesomepostpeter
  17. Paul - FS Concierge

Congratulations gingerbeardhs,

I love your work and always look forward to your contributions on the forum.

Looks like you have gone through the process of finding what you want out of business much sooner than most and that will save you years of torture!

Massive congrats on the study - must be a relief that you have a long break from it now!
  18. BrisVegasGhost

BrisVegasGhost Member

2017 has had its up ands downs, trials and quite a few errors.
    I am finally getting my business launched in the new year.

I only recently activated some social media accounts and having good feedback with some of the videos we launched. My basic you tube vid just cracked 52k views and has provided a few sales.

65 % of the 21 ton of equipment arriving tomorrow has been sold via pre sales and old fashion door knocking and approaching businesses.

Its been stressful at times and had the fear put into me a few times and nearly quit and threw in the towel a few times. But now I am here and battle ready for "17"
    Oh...and we had a little girl in June. That's where the real value is!
    Cheers
    Paul - FS Concierge and bradzo like this.
  19. Paul - FS Concierge

Battle ready and battle hardened!

Great job coming through the other side mate:)

Can you share the YT vid here?

52K views is insanely good!!

Have a great 2017.
    BrisVegasGhost likes this.
  20. Hatching_It

Hatching_It Active Member

Wow - quite the juxtaposition of years already in this thread! Hopefully those that had forgettable years can take some inspiration and ideas from those kicking goals.

Me?

Professionally:

Achieved a career goal at eWAY moving in to the position I'd been dreaming existed for the last 9 years.

Soloing:

Built the business big enough to pay for my wedding, then as we got closer to the wedding closed it down. Got the bug to run a little eCom business again so just this week ordered a shipment of stock to build a new business during the holidays.

Also moving in to a new business idea with a close friend.

Personally:

Married my best friend and looking to start a little family next year - couldn't be happier.

There were a few bumps and quite a significant health implication thrown at us through the year but you know what they say... We'll be stronger in 2017!

Keep the reflections up, loving reading them!

Maclean
    bradzo and Robert Gerrish like this.