1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Aggie + Lola: New start up, would love your thoughts

Discussion in 'Starting your journey' started by aggie1, Mar 20, 2017.

1. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi,

We have just launched our business Aggie+ Lola which designs and produces boutique hens night, baby shower and bridal shower accessories.

We are a small team of sisters and design and make our products ourselves. We've been open a month now and are mostly using Instagram to market our brand and products.

We have seen some small sales in the first week where we did a free shipping launch, however it seems to have settled down since then. We have been targeting bridal forums on Facebook as well, and this has seen more traffic move towards our website however has not seen many sales result.

I was hoping to get any reviews on our website, product and Instagram as I'm not sure if our products are priced too high and this is the reason the traffic isn't converting into sales or if there are any suggestions that anyone can make.

Our website is www.aggieandlola.com.au and our Instagram feed is @aggieandlola

Any suggestions and feedback are very welcome :)

Simone
  2. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Simone,

Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining Flying Solo and posting today.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that, aside from the About page (which I have to navigate to - most people will not), is that the home page is not built around what your brand represents, what it is and who it's for.

I know of these 2 x retailers that do really well - have a look at their sites and Insta Accounts for some ideas.

Both give you a sense of what you get, how it will make you look or feel, and who it's for - baked into every page.

Teeth Whitening

Healthy Recipes

Good luck

Cheers
  3. BrandArchitect

BrandArchitect Member

Hi Simone,

I'm probably one end of your target audience and visually it looks great and conceptually is a good idea. You certainly have a great foundation to build on. The website probably needs a little more thinking around information architecture and messaging. I agree with Paul as in the homepage needs to tell the visitor what you are about - a positioning statement or key messages or use your hero rotating image to advertise it, by way of a few examples. You then need to look at how you are driving visitors to the site and what pages - is the message telling a consistent story from one to the other. There also doesn't appear to be very clear calls to action. What do you consider as a conversion - a sale, a query where details are submitted. Ensure that they can action that easily (not just the cart at the bottom of the page). Prices seem fair. I would just shout out is your product range equating to what you position as? Happy to chat in more detail around any of these points. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Cheers
  4. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your review and feedback. You raise a good point I had missed in our website design. It's certainly a lot more evident after looking at those examples.

I'll take it on board and make some changes. Fingers crossed !

Thanks again!

Simone
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  5. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Kristy

Thanks for your time and review as well :) I'd consider a conversion as a sale. At the moment we get a few enquiries via the Facebook forums however only a few have translated into sales.

With regards to the product range equating to our position, do you mean is it positioned as targeting hens night/ baby showers / bridal showers equally or have we focused too much on the hens night ?

Thanks again !

Simone
  6. BrandArchitect

BrandArchitect Member

You might want to think about the decision making process for your products. What length of time is reasonable between enquiry to purchase. Also perhaps think about a remarketing campaign on FB and website visitors to keep your brand top of mind whilst they are in "research" phase. Also don't feel afraid to follow up any enquiries personally and get feedback.

In relation to the products/positioning you mention "Our products include beautiful handmade silk flower crowns, contemporary tulle veils, unique headbands and more." but I can only see crowns, veil and headbands lists (not more) :)
  7. JacquiPryor

JacquiPryor Renowned Member

Hi Simone,

A teeny bit of feedback from a non-marketing perspective... Please put some further information about your business in an easy to find place. When buying online you want your customers to feel safe in purchasing from you - for example in the web footer and/or contact page include business name, ABN, email, phone number - if you don't wish to display an address then simply Perth, WA or similar.

At the moment, I can't really see any information that tells me you're a 'real' business in the sense that if something was to go awry with my order, I'd like to be able to contact you easily rather than simply complete a web-form. (Something I look for as an online shopper so hope it helps :))
  8. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

When I get to your home page I see your business name and some pretty pictures.

So are you selling photography, flowers, or something else.

your home page needs to shout at me what you are offering, don't leave me guessing as I will leave
  9. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Kristy,

Thanks again for the feedback. It's definitely a learning process but so helpful to get external feedback. I'll take it on board and make some tweaks to the site.

Thanks very much
  10. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Jacqui,

Very valuable advice and what I would also look for in a site but have completely forgotten about here! That makes a lot of sense- Thankyou.
    JacquiPryor likes this.
  11. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Bb1,

Yes thanks for the feedback. This has been noted and has been a bit of a large oversight in our website design evidently. Thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Simone
  12. Corey

Corey Active Member

Hiya Simone,

Congrats on getting started.

Just one thing I noticed, your title -
    <title>Home / AGGIE + LOLA</title> needs to be more informative & descriptive.

PS We were all newbies once.

Cheers
    Corey
  13. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

I see you have changed it. Can I be a little critical.

The colour is just to light, and the font you need to think.

Also my concern is that as it is a slider, it doesn't jump out at me, Yell it at me, and focus me on it.
  14. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Corey,

Thank you :)...I'm having a bit of trouble changing my settings/adding any description at the moment as BigCartel does not seem to have a significant amount of options without knowing how to code.

I'll be looking to getting it sorted soon.

Thanks for your support

Cheers,

Simone
  15. reshyam

reshyam Member

Hi Guys,
    We has just launch our business Aggie+ Lola which designs and produces boutique hens night, child shower and bridal shower accessories.
    We have a small team of sisters and design and make our products ourselves. We've been open a month now and are mostly using Instagram to market our brand and products.
    We have seen some big sales in the first week where we did a free shipping launch, however it seems to have settled down since then. We targeting bridal forums on Facebook as well. This is seen more traffic move towards our website however has not seen many sales result.

Top 5 Interactive Social MediaMarketingTools
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  16. Corey

Corey Active Member

Hi,

Do you network with Event & Party Organisers, Bridal shops, Formal Wear hire, brochure in the local shopping centres, etc?

Cheers
    Corey
  17. George Hello Freedom

George Hello Freedom Member

Hi Simone,

LOVE your product - they're just gorgeous!

Can I make a suggestion strategy-wise?

It would be really beneficial if you choose just one type of customer to focus on to start with. Pick either women preparing for a (classy) hen's night/bridal shower or women preparing for a baby shower. They are two quite different customer groups and trying to market to both dilutes your marketing funds and your message.

If you are focused, you will find you can market your brand far more efficiently (as you'll only be focusing your funds on the one 'persona') and more effectively (as your messaging, photos, copy and imagery will be directed to appeal to that 'persona'). For example, if you choose women preparing for hen's nights, you can be very targeted with your advertising - say for example choosing to advertise on Facebook targeting women of a certain age, who earn a certain amount, living in certain suburbs and who have recently gotten engaged. Your marketing and website copy could be specific to the hen's night / bridal shower occasion, you could blog or share articles about creating the perfect hen's night / bridal shower, and your photos could be taken in situ. Instagram would be a brilliant channel for your customers to share their pics too - as your product is gorgeous to look at!

This doesn't mean that people don't buy your products for baby showers (or other occasions like festivals, horse racing etc.) it just means that you hone in on one customer type for your marketing and communications.

Hope this is helpful food for thought!

George (short for Georgina!) :)
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  18. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Corey

We haven't yet but will be on our next plan of attack :)

I do find this networking the part that we haven't yet attacked, probably because I want to present a polished business-which I find hard when we are still so small. Fake it til you make it?

19. aggie1

aggie1 Member

Hi Georgina

Thanks for your lovely feedback!

I have been getting mixed messages with what to do strategy wise. Some people have been advising it would be better to have a range of customer groups to demonstrate the variety and attract more potential customers but I can completely see where you are coming from especially as we are just starting and have limited time to market to multiple groups.

I think wih having the focus on one group, it will likely give us more direction with our strategy instead of throwing racing, baby showers and hens all together :)

Thanks again for the idea. I'm really glad I joined this group!

Cheers

Simone

H
  20. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

[QUOTE="George Hello Freedom, post: 246419, member: 94584]

It would be really beneficial if you choose just one type of customer to focus on to start with. Pick either women preparing for a (classy) hen's night/bridal shower or women preparing for a baby shower. They are two quite different customer groups and trying to market to both dilutes your marketing funds and your message.
    [/QUOTE]

I disagree.
    I see a nice little match between these to markets. Doesn't a hens night, possibly lead to a baby shower (not always), yes it may be years down the track, but it could be not far down the track as well.

If they purchase the hens night stuff, you could set up some inventive follow-up marketing (subtle).

The idea of marketing is to grab a client and find your next product to sell to them. I would be looking what the next product you could add, to keep that customer even longer. I have found in business if you give clients good service for one thing they will keep coming back for more. The hardest part is getting new clients, once you have them keep them. Don't reduce your offerings, add the next logical step.

You have them, keep them