1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Are you taking a break over the festive season??

Discussion in 'Wellbeing & balance' started by Peter - FS Administrator, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Peter - FS Administrator

Peter - FS Administrator Administrator Staff Member

How's the week before Xmas shaping up!!

Things always quieten down for Flying Solo for a few weeks over the silly season, so we always look forward to a bit of down time. But I know for some soloists it's crunch time and a very busy time of year, and it can be hard to get away for a clean break.

Are you taking a break over the festive season??
  2. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

We are a 365 day a year business but by definition, so too are some of our customers.

It would be nice to have a "complete break" like many do but not in my industry!
  3. Peter - FS Administrator

Thanks Paul. Yes, it certainly can be hard to get away without keeping things ticking over.

For the many soloists who are service providers the “no work = no pay” trap is also a challenge that can make getting away hard at any time of year!
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  4. Mischelle

Mischelle Renowned Member

My staff are all off for the Christmas and New Year break expect myself, the IT guys and one of my senior staff.

I use this quiet time to get a LOT of work done, especially all my planning for the next year, I get my marketing action plan together and put all the objectives for the next year in my plan.

I am not exactly tied to the desk, sometimes I sit with a nice cool beverage and big sheets of paper and mind map the crazy out of me (I mean that seriously - my brain is going crazy with ideas and I have to get them out) LOL :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone on FS, it's been a great year and I am truly looking forward to 2018.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)
    Dave - FS Concierge likes this.
  5. Peter - FS Administrator

Thanks Mischelle,

It sounds like this time of year is when your mind gets most busy! Mind maps and beverages doesn't sound like a bad way to spend an afternoon over the break :)

Thank YOU once again for all your great insights, support and ideas that you have sprinkled like glitter over the forums this year too. Merry Christmas to you too, and all, and here's to a big year ahead.

Cheers! Peter
  6. John Romaine

John Romaine Renowned Member

When you're self employed every day is Sunday and Monday.

Im off, but Im also not.
  7. Peter - FS Administrator

Ha! Yes, that's the upside and downside of working for yourself (especially online). But, when you enjoy what you do it's certainly more up than down.
    Have a good day, whatever day it is!
    Peter
  8. Rowan@quaotic

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I don't get to have time off at this time of year, even Christmas day starts off at 5am for irrigating my crops, but I do have months in winter with barely anything to do so I can have as many weeks off as I like to go on holidays, catch up with friends around Aus and vegetate. I am so bored by the start of spring that I am happy to get back into work with barely a day off till the next winter.
  9. Peter - FS Administrator

Hi Rowan,
    Sounds like we’re right in the busiest time of year for you!!
    While it sounds like hard work and I know that seasonal businesses have their own challenges, I don’t mind the sound of a period in the middle to recharge the batteries
    Hopefully some nice rain might help you sleep in once in a while!
    Peter
  10. heylouise

heylouise Member

I'm taking a break from my part time job for the next couple of weeks. So I can use this time to focus on my own business.
  11. Peter - FS Administrator

Welcome back :) (for those who got a break!)
    We're back in full swing this week and ready for another year.
    Chopping up the Christmas tree and squeezing it into the bin is always a sign that it's time to get back to work!
    Here's to a big year ahead for all!
    Peter
  12. Soccerooplugger

Soccerooplugger Member

Hi everyone. Good thread. I had a few days away over Christmas, but was glad to be back home. I like my home. I work to pay it off, so I want to stay in my home as much as possible. I would rather have "staycations".

I have so much to do around the house.

In saying that, the rest of the family (wife and 2 girls) want holidays. We have booked to go to the Sunshine Coast in April.

Will be nice, but I'd rather stay at home and do some jobs around the house.
  13. Peter - FS Administrator

Thanks soccerooplugger. I too love 'holidays' consisting entirely of pottering around the house.

A few people have mentioned the importance of having a holiday 'booked in' so you can look forward to it at motivation. Sunshine Coast is a good summer extension! Must consider our next voyage...