1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Do you consider building a website or use social media?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by ruonline, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ruonline

ruonline Member

Hi,

I've been a business owner for quite some time now and most of the time people who own businesses have this dilemma of how they could market their business outside their location.

I know that social media is one of the best things you can go to but do you consider building a website (perhaps availing a service from web development companies) to expand the existence of your business throughout Australia?

What are your thoughts?
  2. Jeremy McClelland

Jeremy McClelland Member

I see a website as being the core of your business marketing and one that you can control, social media will come and go over time but having a core website helps centralise, by all means utilise the social media platfoms that are currently popular but use them to drive traffic to your website.

Additonally, in my experience with some customers that have been Facebook only, having a website legitimises them. While 90% of their traffic may start with facebook having a website can harbour a sense of trust in the business they are dealing with, even a simple landing page with about information and contact details helps with online trust.

Of course no one solution is the silver bullet and will depend on the nature of your business and your target audience. But in most omni channel situations I normally adivse to keep your content in your owned and controlled website and publish from their to your social media channels.
  3. Outsource Safety

Outsource Safety Member

Having a website will aid in the credibility of your business for sure. It'll help expand your clients - depending on what business you own/operate...
  4. BusinessTrade

BusinessTrade Active Member

It makes sense for business owners to have both a website and some form of social media presence.

Getting a brochure website built is quite inexpensive these days and creating a social media account is free so there isn't any real reason why business owners shouldn't have both.
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  5. Sheena7

Sheena7 Member

Agree with above. However, I am going to give an insight into my way of shopping online.
    The best way I discover businesses are through amazon/ ebay/ social media.
    If there’s a vendor specific website, sure I’ll check it out but I always only buy from ebay, amazon, etc unless the item is not on sale there. There is a very simple reason for that: I am just more confident paying on these platforms. With small websites, I do not know how much they have invested in the security of their platforms, their returns policy, shipping times. A lot of this just boils down to me being familiar with these giants policies.
    Dave - FS Concierge likes this.
  6. Rowan@quaotic

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Most websites go through platforms that have good security and they don't see your payment info so you don't have to worry about your payment security.

But, that issue is why I always offer Paypal on my websites, and I only buy using Paypal on other people websites. I know how easy it is to open a website and disappear.
    Paypal has easy buyer and seller protections so if a buyer doesn't get their item they can get their money back. Of course, there is always the option of bank chargebacks but Paypal is just easier as a buyer.
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  7. Corey

Corey Active Member

I see it as not an and or proposition but the use of both to promote a business, that is, a website & social media.

Cheers
    Corey
  8. Johny

Johny Renowned Member

Social Media