1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Entrepreneurs are they made? or born?

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by BMasterminds, Apr 2, 2009.

1. BMasterminds

BMasterminds Member

I find the debate between peoples believes around entrepreneurialism facinating. It seems not everyone agrees! So let me put a question too you...

Are entrepreneurs made? or are they born?
    2 people like this.
  2. mike@engagemarketing

[email protected] Member

I think entrepreneurs are developed - by parents! I am currently in the Bachelor of Business (Major in Entrepreneurship) course at RMIT University in Melbourne and from our discussions between students, lecturers and guest lecturers, there has always been a degree of nurturing of the entrepreneurial mindset from parents as they grew up.

I know that was certainly the case for me. Getting the time to launch all the ventures in my head is the hard-part though!
  3. ray_223

ray_223 Active Member

Hi Angelique,

I'd be surprised if anyone on here would respond with "they are born".

There are to many "rags to riches" stories to believe otherwise.

It really comes down to passion and "doing whatever it takes to succeed". Have passion, never give up and keep learning.
  4. BMasterminds

BMasterminds Member

There are many I have come across that believe they are born. I have had many lively discussions in my groups about this. I personally believe to be entreprenurial is a mindset and if we don't currently have it we can change it.
  5. BB

BB Member

Great topic!

Hhmmm.... if they were born - then surely there would be more around. Or perhaps its a 'learned' behaviour? (from whom?)

Let's face it - do we even know what Richard Bransons' parents did? Were they entrpreneurs? Then of course - what did Justin Heralds' parents excel in?

So maybe it has nothing at all to do with our parents - maybe it is a mindset!

B.B.
  6. linkartist

linkartist Member

I think that there are intrinsic personality traits that make for better entrepeneurs... but I think that anyone can learn it.

But like anything, there are degrees of natural ability/capacity/talent... but they mean squat unless you develop them.
  7. Lisa Murray - Biz Coach

Lisa Murray - Biz Coach Member

I had a few lively debates around this when I was doing my MBA (entrepreneurship/leadership major)...

The research indicates they can be both - some people have innate talent and others through life circumstances set themselves on that path. What is also interesting to consider is whether entrepreneurial traits such as risk-taking, creativity, etc are learned or present at birth.

I come from 3 generations of entrepreneurs on both sides of my family and had my first little business when I was 8 - so in my case you could definitely argue born... however I wouldn't have had that business without the support and guidance of my parents! So the 'learned' part is in there too.

It took me quite a while to set up on my own because I wanted to learn other skills first... so part of my entrepreneurial knowledge is learned! In watching other highly successful entrepreneurs that I know, there is usually something innate in the ones who go on to build large successful businesses - personality characteristics such as curiosity, willingness to learn, commitment etc go a long way too!

cheers
    Lisa
  8. LeelaCosgrove

LeelaCosgrove Member

I disagree it's parents.

My parents are both employees and are horrified by my entrepreneurship. They'd be very happy if I would just settle down and get a normal job.

So, I'm sure having parents who encourage it TOTALLY helps, but it's not the only factor.

I believe you can BECOME entrepreneurial, but I believe I was born entrepreneurial. I've run businesses since I could talk ... literally, from the time I was 5. I never doubted that my eventual path was business. People would ask me when I was a kid what I was going to do when I grew up and I said I was going to own my own business. There was no reason for this ... my dad worked in a factory, my mum stayed home with four kids. We lived in a housing commission area, so it wasn't like I was exposed to a lot of business people ... or, any for that matter. It was just always there. Who knows - maybe it came from TV or from someone saying something random to me that I can't remember?

I do believe, though, that children are born with their own personalities ... that nature is as much a factor as nurture (and I've found most mums back me up on this!) ... and I think being outgoing and enterprising is just who I am ... it's just my nature.

Meanwhile, I know other people who are INCREDIBLY entrepreneurial who had no interest in it in their childhoods, teens - and for some, even in their twenties and thirties!

So I think the only real answer is that there are many paths and each person follows their own journey ... some come out of the womb ready to trade and others find their way through a more meandering path.
  9. Rachel Reeves

Rachel Reeves Member

This is a really interesting thread.

High School, when the teachers got us thinking of career paths was the first time I had a passing thought that I would really enjoy and might eventually own a business. I have to say at that point I really didn't think it would become a reality, but here I am now living that reality! For me it was a mix - partially my entrepreneurial nature, partially circumstantial and also partly to do with encouragement from those around me. I said something to my spouse only a year back like 'We had always spoken of my owning a business but because of the initial overheads I never thought that I actually would'.

I think that there are certain traits that a person is born with that might put them closer to a potential as an entrepreneur, or might not.
  10. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

I certainly agree that just about anybody can learn and eventually possess the traits needed to be an entrepreneur, but I definitely think that there's just that little bit extra that makes a good one.

I think that little bit extra is what you're born with, and for my money, also what makes you a good one.

Edit: AWESOME thread too.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  11. Burgo

Burgo Renowned Member

Micael E. Gerber, E-Myth MASTERY talks about creating an entrepreneur.

He believes there are three stages
    1. The technician
    2. The Manager
    3. The entrepreneur.

He takes the view that the Entreprenure in you is created and developed to take your business from being great to world class.
    Its about passion conbined with VISION.

Now this is something that takes a little to get your head around because the dictionary says that Entrepreneur is one who organises and manages any enterprise.

When you start to think about what Gerber is saying ( and I havent read all the book yet) is that instead of working IN the business that Technicians and managers do, Entreprenuers work ON the business. Being able to see the BIG picture and have a direction of where the business WILL BE IN 5, 10, 15 20 YEARS TIME

However this alone will not get the business there it is the PASSION that eventually get it there.

OK thats my opinion , does that make the mud a little clearer, or should I put more water with it.
    1 person likes this.
  12. Eco Manifesto

Eco Manifesto Member

Born with the personality - which gives you the traits to learn what you need to become one.

Oh - and luck!

Cheers
    Chrissy
  13. Burgo

Burgo Renowned Member

Sorry Im going to disagree with you Chrissy, LUCK has nothing to do with it
  14. peppie

peppie Active Member

Burgo, just don't start flinging that mud about!!!

Your comment about the stages of development of an entrepreneur is interesting. I started as a tradesman, progressed to technician and before going it alone was also a factory manager for a time.

I also had no entrepreneurial blood in my immediate family (really only a couple of uncles) and no model to learn from, except that of watching how businesses ran that I worked for. And sometimes too what not to do!

For a long time I have asserted that to become an overnight success usually takes at least 30 years. In my case probably closer to 40 plus!!!!!
  15. Eco Manifesto

Eco Manifesto Member

Email communication and my dry sense of humour sometimes doesn't work

I should've put in one of these after luck - ;-)

Cheers
    Chrissy
  16. Burgo

Burgo Renowned Member

Paul you know what Im like , really cant help myself.
    Maybe a change of climate will make a difference.

But I agree it dosent happen overnight.
    I must be a slow learner because its taken me 50 years to find out what I already knew.

Chrissy, I enjoy people who have dry sence of humour
  17. allcreative

allcreative Member

Is it nature or nurture that defines a person?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  18. MJ.Bart

MJ.Bart Member

This thread & question is so intriguing. It is so great to read so many different perceptions on the topic. Which leads me to what I think of being an entrepreneur.

I am yet to really start a business (I have merely registered a business name, got my ABN and created a web hosting account) yet I have for a long time now felt the entrepreneurial spirit within me.

My father has run his own business for many years since I was a child yet he had hopes of me going to university to study graphic design as it was a passion of mine. He never suggested or hinted I should go into business. I do not think it has much to do with parents. I think it begins with you and any encouragement you get from parents simply helps you along.

I also do not think it really comes down to circumstance. I have lived in a family that (as far as I know) has never been wealthy nor poor. I think circumstance can be a motivator to act but I think the desire to be entrepreneurial comes more naturally. That's not to say you are born with the entrepreneurial spirit either.

As we grow and learn more about ourselves we come to a realisation that we can do things for ourselves. We discover that we can create our own reality through fulfilling our visions of the life we choose to lead.

I believe that pursuing your dreams and doing what you must to make them come true is what makes you an entrepreneur. Being a business person does not necessarily make you an entrepreneur. Some business people are entrepreneurial, others are not. Some entrepreneurs are business people and others are not.

It comes down to what you want and what you do to make it happen. If you genuinely see yourself as an entrepreneur then you probably are one. Some may be born with it in them, other's may learn it, while some may be somewhere in between. At least that's what I think :)
  19. B Cooper

B Cooper Active Member

Hey guys,

I believe that it's simply the decision to achieve more than the average person, to give it your all, to believe that you can achieve, and you will.

Entrepreneurs cannot be 'born', only influenced. Read the book 'Talent is Overrated'.

Brentis
  20. marketingweb

marketingweb Active Member

I just wanted to add that there is a difference between being entrepreneurial, and just "in business".

In a forum like this it's easy for everyone to assume that because they run their own small business they are therefore an entrepreneur, but I don't believe this is the case.

For myself, I see that I have some entrepreneurial traits, but I don't yet classify myself in this category. The reason is I don't yet have the "willing to risk it all" type mentality to aim at the big time. I also have a tendency to work "in" what I do rather than "on", which as Burgo stated is also important.

I think that even if you aren't naturally full on entrepreneurial, you need to consciously make certain decisions and work towards acting in ways that will grow your business.

If on the other hand you just "do what you have always done", work hard but not smart, refuse to advertise, innovate or excel and happy to settle for enough work to get by, refuse to spend money to make money, try to do everything yourself, and never "think big" you aren't an entrepreneur in the true sense of the word.