1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

facebook page username

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by lilmis, Sep 17, 2020.

1. lilmis

lilmis Member

Hello

Setting up my business facebook page, yet to launch business. It says my business name 'Furbaby Comforts' is unavailable as a username. If I dont use my business name will it make it harder to be found on facebook? Thanks
  2. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

The short answer is yes.

Have you considered adding to it?

Something like Furbaby Comforts AU

This can have it's own complications so do your research in that areas too.

Cheers
    Paul
  3. vanessa@legal123

[email protected] Member

Hi-yes I agree with Paul, you should do your research before deciding on your business name and setting up your business. You don't want to have to change your brand after you gain traction and you should register it with ASIC. Here are some ways and links to assist you to look up your chosen business name in an article we wrote some time ago (look under the section headed "Online Business Name": https://legal123.com.au/how-to-guide/how-to-set-up-an-online-business/

Hope that is helpful.
  4. Bruce Josephs

Bruce Josephs Member

I would always suggest that you check that you want is available
    1. as a business name on ASIC
    2. as a domain (Website) name .com.au and if you anticipate growing outside of Australia, a .com as well.
    3. as a Facebook name
    4. as a twitter handle
    5. as a 1300 phone number if possible

Whilst it is imperative that the business name and domain name/s are available, you can use similar names on facebook and twitter and the phone number can be difficult anyway. That being said, it is always preferable to have consistency from the start.

I have a few website names that are different to the facebook names and Twitter names.

I have one entity that uses www.sydney-tours.com.au as the website, sydneyprivatetours as the facebook handle and @sydneytoursTI. As most traffic originates from the website, the fact that the facebook and Twitter accounts are different names make little difference.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Josephs

Regards
    Bruce Josephs
  5. BusinessTrade

BusinessTrade Active Member

It most likely is already taken considering that billions use Facebook. Unfortunately, you will just need to adjust the name to make it work as others have suggested.
  6. JacquiPryor

JacquiPryor Renowned Member

In addition, a check that the name is available for trade mark registration; or more importantly than that, make sure the proposed name won't infringe a registered trade mark. As Vanessa pointed to in her article names can be intellectual property (trade marks particularly). You must (legally) register a business name with ASIC if operating under a name other than your own, but that does not necessarily mean the business name is safe to use. That's where trade marks come into play. If the business with the Facebook name is in Australia, with a trade mark, in the same industry then this could be an issue; adding "AU" or similar wouldn't necessarily avoid the issue.

I don't think the Facebook name being slightly different is an issue from a marketing perspective, but could be an issue if the existing user has 'rights' to that name in Australia...
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.