1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

How naive are you?

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by King, Nov 21, 2011.

1. King

King Renowned Member

I sometimes wonder how some businesses survive as long as they do. People who have no clue it seems.

I was at a local Chamber of Commerce government funded seminar recently on the subject of marketing.

One would hope that being in business people would have at least covered some of the basics of marketing and advertising - say read a book or a few articles online.... The speaker blah blah blah for 45 minutes with the result of "big headline' in print and 'use radio' oh and all sorts of name dropping 'when I had lunch with John Singleton....' The sad part was people were LAPPING it up - thank god it was free. It would have been a total rip-off if we had paid anything...

Then today in an email - get a QR code generated and printed onto a vinyl sticker for $15.....plenty of profit there and this was at half price!!

Then listing your business on Google places for only $149 (normally $399) - or I could do it myself in 10 minutes for free.....

No doubt these businesses are doing great based on how naive small business owners are.

We even see examples here on Flying Solo - people paying hundreds per month for what they thought was SEO and in fact was SEM and they had no idea what was going on....no reports, nothing. But they were satisfied (till they learned the truth) simply because they were 'doing something.....
  2. dextereugenio

dextereugenio Active Member

i have to agree, but essentially, business begets business, and its in every industry (more so, tech)

i could potentially fix a leaky tap in my bathroom if i read up on it, or i could pay someone to do it in 10 mins and save myself a weeks worth of hassle (yeah, dont get me started on diy).

its like that story i read once (i think it was in a brian tracy book)

cliff notes:
    * billion dollar nuclear powerplant down on power
    * losing hundreds of thousands a day in lost power generation
    * they hire an expert who after 3 days says "this gauge needs replacing"
    * expert replaces gauge, and problem solved
    * bill comes in from expert, $10,000
    * powerplant confused and shocked, asks for breakdown
    * expert replies "replacement gauge $10" "knowing which gauge to replace $9990"
    2 people like this.
  3. Keeta Nova

Keeta Nova Active Member

Great topic!

I definitely don't get sucked in myself, mainly because I either do all my work myself, or I have colleagues who I trust and respect, and I go to them.

Ultimately, if I want something done, I want to know everything about it. I like to have control and understanding for everything that relates to my business.

The journalist in me asks a lot of questions.

The empathetic side of me, is sad for the other suckers.

And the sadistic side, laughs at them, cause unfortunately they are everywhere.
    1 person likes this.
  4. AgentMail

AgentMail Renowned Member

Just think of how much we could collectively save businesses by pooling our knowledge together in a site called businessdemystified.com.au (or some other similar site) (no haven't purchased it or checked it's availability :)

Where the simplest of advice was provided... such as how to setup your own Google Places, how to run an adwords campaign, how to save on postage costs, the list could go on and on.

But I guess, as Keeta's sadastic side mentioned, there are unfortunately people out there who will do things without the proper amount of research, and for those people, I think they will continue to spend hundreds and thousands on things they really don't need.
  5. MyGreatIdea

MyGreatIdea Renowned Member

Which also refers to the (very annoying) posts right here "I'm going to start a business but I don't know how much it will cost or what I need to do, but my friend said cafes were good".

Research, research, research !!!

Wendy :)
    4 people like this.
  6. DanielM

DanielM Active Member

Great points King.

Unfortunately I see to regularly, business owners dishing out large sums of cash to unskilled, overnight seo 'experts' which con them into misleading traps.
  7. King

King Renowned Member

And other advices
  8. King

King Renowned Member

It is hard to know if they are brain neutral from being an employee slave up until deciding to go into business, but yes, some on the sorts of questions asked is exasperating!!
  9. JohnSheppard

JohnSheppard Active Member

People have to start somewhere...

There are 10,000+ things to learn in today's age of business....you've got a big problem if you think you know it all...

A huge majority would not go into business if they weren't naive...

Raise your hand if you never made a mistake, raise your other hand if you never asked a stupid question?

Humility (or paranoia) is probably the thing that will alert you to the next mistake to come along and bite you in the ass....don't pretend it won't happen...
    5 people like this.
  10. MyGreatIdea

MyGreatIdea Renowned Member

I'm not disputing that at all John. I've made plenty of mistakes :eek:

And although I started (and probably still am) naive, I've also taken responsibility for learning, researching, gathering information, and making informed decisions. At lot of the time that includes asking advice, but only after I've done the hard work myself first. I don't expect others to lead me by the hand.

Wendy :)
    bridiej and (deleted member) like this.
  11. King

King Renowned Member

One hundred percent correct.

It is all about responsibility, ignorance is no excuse.
    1 person likes this.
  12. ray_223

ray_223 Active Member

I agree with John, it just proves you don't need to get everything perfect to run a successful business.

I'm not saying

"don't stop improving "

but

"do more starting when you may think you're not ready!"
  13. JohnSheppard

I agree that the willingness to take on responsibility is right up there with the most important attributes of a successful business person. Those who don't will go broke rather quickly...

I don't think that's a good reason to dwell on people who fail to do that...just think it's more important to get in touch with the humble side of things...

I used to work retail, and one thing that was reasonably common amongst the staff was bitching and commiserating amongst themselves about rude customers (as there is inevitable several per day). It's a self mutilating kind of practice because it doesn't get you anywhere...it's almost like they enjoyed it...like watching a soapy... anyway...I mention that, because this is the same thing...one thing I am slowly learning in life is that those who make it to the top don't get there by dwelling on all the idiocy that regular people dwell on. They're just like well...that's a waste of energy...I want achieve such and such a goal and doing so means no time for rubbish...yes it's lonely as hell, but that's the price of the drive to create I guess..
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  14. King

King Renowned Member

There was no implication for perfection - just awareness beyond being totally ignorant so that you can make at least an informed judgment and to take responsibility to gain that knowledge yourself. Sadly on a daily example there are examples of total ignorance.
  15. King

King Renowned Member

Hence your participation in this thread ;) But John, you must get frustrated with posters here on this forum who ask questions like "What do I need to start an online business?" I just think 'get off your butt and do some reading!!!'
    1 person likes this.
  16. JohnSheppard

Yes it is frustrating if you let it be...but why let it be? There is an endless source of things to get frustrated about in life if you let them...

My own personal habit is only to read/respond to things I might learn from or am opinionated about (so that I might adjust my opinion). The rest I just skip over. I am not here to pick up business or help anyone :) That way I don't have to be professional in my dealings...I can be free to say what I really think and I suppose that makes things easier for me...
    2 people like this.
  17. ray_223

ray_223 Active Member

Hi King,

I do agree with you.
    My point is, for this "group" of business owners who are paying high fees now on SEO and getting little or no return - how many will learn from their experience, obtain better services and get positive outcomes?

I obviously don't know the answer!

My opinion is that mostly you do the job wrong first and learn from it and eventually get it right.

So, good on those people for trying - but make sure you learn from what you are doing.
  18. Steve_Minshall

Steve_Minshall Well-Known Member

From what I have seen you usually tell them to "get off your butt and do some reading" in your warm and cuddly style ;)

Why does other people's naivety make you so cross?
  19. King

King Renowned Member

I'm a caramelo bear on the inside ;)

It is the fact they don't get off their butts and do some basic stuff themselves.

I get angry tho, at people who take advantage of them. So maybe that is more the theme of the thread in a perverse, reverse kinda way!
    1 person likes this.
  20. TrishF

TrishF Active Member

Hey guys I've got clients who each pay me thousands per month. All of my clients do not have a clue about what I do or how I do it - and nor should they, they are too busy doing running their own businesses.

Whats the point of knowing how to do everything. I certainly don't & I don't want to. But I know when i need something done there are plenty of people who will do it for me & they are only a phone call away.

As for silly people who keep paying for no results that's their own fault.

Trish Fehon