1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Online marketing of your business is finished.

Discussion in 'New here? Share your story' started by trymyluck, Oct 18, 2012.

1. trymyluck

trymyluck Member

Hi guys, I find it interesting reading all the great articles on here, mostly indicating how our businesses will benefit so much from facebook sites, websites,newsletters, social media stuff and the like to grow our little ideas.
    I feel I will never be able to compete with these internet savvy people, its just not my strong point. I have a solid understanding of it all, but never will I be a leader in this sort of stuff ... but im wondering ..Do I really need too?
    I know many people eg ..successfull builders, tradies, and the like that just go about their business, getting the job done without having much idea about social media and the latest trends in marketing. They make millions of $$$$ dollars a year, year in year out !!!
    For example... on this site people may ask to assistance on how they will go about getting their money after the 30 day account is overdue and the legalities etc ... whilst Fred the 'bricky " simply knocks on the bloody door and asks for it !!
    Are we missing a market that is potentially easier and has just as many $$$ as the online community. People still like going into shops and buying things off the shelf.... I for one, dont think this will stop.
    Im just interested in what people think, After all, most of the followers here I feel are more along the lines of "internet savvy " people rather than the your typical tradie type business persons on this site.
    One of the reasons I like this site so much it that it balances me and teaches me new things and ideas that I wouldnt get from my "usual" friends. ...any thoughts ?
  2. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Renowned Member

Hi trymyluck,

I agree with you. Online although its huge and getting bigger by the day is enveloped in a lot of generalisations. One of those generalisations is the effectiveness of social media. SM definitely has its place on the net.

If 7/11 or McD's were to post on their SM pages everything half price this Friday it would spread like wild fire, beyond the followers of those pages. It could even make the 6 oclock news.

Unfortunately without some serious dedication, genius marketing skills, and a lot of patience, even a dash of luck, I think the majority of us are wasting our time trying to make the break through SM. Time better spent elsewhere. Consider who really uses SM and the age demographics of our population and where its headed.

Steve
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ondetto

Ondetto Active Member

Sounds like I'm in the wrong game ;-)

Tradies have one big advantage over us web folk: They can't be replaced by someone interstate or overseas, so competition is limited to other local tradies and there is less price pressure. Most of their work will come through local word of mouth, and that's how they can get away without worrying too much about the Internet...

Although I would say that most tradies would benefit from a website so people can find out a bit more about them before booking their services.
    4 people like this.
  4. NathanB

NathanB Well-Known Member

I don't quite agree with this :)

Web folk have a huge advantage over tradies, being that they can source their clients from almost anywhere in the world and are not limited to the local market. Neither view is right or wrong, just different perspectives.

You're right about the word of mouth though, in my experience with tradies (over 50% of Mega Deals and Coupons Magazine clients are tradies), they mostly rely on WOM.
    2 people like this.
  5. Ondetto

Ondetto Active Member

That's true too, Nathan - I should have worded it a little better. Web folk have more global opportunities but also more competition, and tradies are more limited to local opportunities but have less competition. There are pros and cons with everything!
  6. tonyk

tonyk Renowned Member

Agreed. There are pros and cons with everything. It is just a matter of trying to position yourself correctly so you can get maximum value.
  7. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Renowned Member

Tradies have a another operational advantage over web folk.
    When theyre not bussy they spend the time fixing their own place.
    I suppose web folk can spend the time doing analytics and seo and sm but the tradies house is increasing in value while hes fixing.

Steve
  8. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

Sooo that title "Online marketing of your business is finished" was a little misleading?
  9. kathiemt

kathiemt Renowned Member

I think it really very much depends on what line of business you're in. And if you know your industry well and understand what you need to do then often the decisions are easier to make.

I agree there are far too many distractions out there - mostly online and it's down to each one of us to determine what are our vitals, what's most important and what we should be doing.

Some businesses don't feel they need an online presence, they're coping fine without. That doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit with a web presence - they would, but they're not in that head space and don't spend time online. If they did, they'd know how important it could be for them.
  10. Aura Wellness Clinic

Aura Wellness Clinic Member

Our online presence is really all about increasing our Google rank - Isn't it?
    The more presence the higher the rank?

I know I go to google when I am looking for something, even tradies.
    1 person likes this.
  11. kathiemt

kathiemt Renowned Member

Yes, Google is the first place I go to for anything too. If they're not online they don't get my business. It's more about convenience. I'm at my computer anyway...
    1 person likes this.
  12. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Renowned Member

I used the internet to find a tradie the other day.

The job is done and paid for.

Worked for him!
    2 people like this.
  13. The Copy Chick

The Copy Chick Renowned Member

I believe having SOME kind of online presence is a must for any business in this day and age. However, that's not to say it needs to be social media, or that it should replace more traditional marketing methods, such a flyers, direct marketing letters, TV/radio ads, etc.... if they've been working well for a business.

Ideally online and offline marketing methods should work in conjunction with each other to strengthen the overall message and reach.

YES!! I've tried to find certain tradies online and struggled. And many of those that were online only had a directory listing (no website) which didn't tell me anything at all about what they did or didn't offer.

I'm not interested in having to call (which costs me money), leave a message most of the time or have their receptionist tell me they "don't know.. so-and-so will need to call you back", and then wait for them to tell me whether or not they can even help. I'd rather get online, check out their site and THEN call if it looks like they can help me.

I can't rely on a flyer landing in my letterbox at the time I'm considering a tradie service.

For what a tradie might spend on Yellow Pages advertising, they could probably afford a nice little site - with analytics telling them exactly where and how their clients are finding them AND someone to manage social media if they felt that might be of benefit to their business.

I know a case where a business was spending $20,000 a year for YP advertising and couldn't confirm if that investment had even resulted in a single conversion.

$20k can buy a LOT of online presence. Even if you spent $5-$8k on a wiz-bang website with professionally written copy, that still leaves a hell of a lot in the kitty for other marketing efforts, both online or off.
  14. Greg_M

Greg_M Renowned Member

As a "tradie" (40 years in construction this year) who knows a lot of them and makes a living sorting out their digital mess, I'd say a few things have changed rapidly.

Most are now tightening their belts at least 2 notches, if not more, many larger contractors are going to the wall, "the boom is over", be grateful if you have a job or a business that's doing OK.

That said, tradesmen and many service people generally have been in a pretty good paddock for a long time, if they're under 50 they've probably only seen the good times in business and been in such demand that complacency had set in regarding service and quality ... don't want me on my terms ... that's OK, someone else will.

I'm watching many young subbies panic ATM as they come to grips with not being able to pass on any costs, or get work. Many are up to their necks in debt and overhead. Easy to manage when you can charge out $60 to $100 per hour (you'll get laughed at now on those rates).

Upside is, the better ones are looking at entering the 21st century with their marketing. A web presence is the new Yellow Pages of old (Not the online version please).

I have proved this to a couple of businesses I work for. Their websites have replaced all other advertising over time, including directories.

Any small service business that does not get some form of searchable presence will probably slide away over time, unless they have the advantage of high passing traffic or a very entrenched market niche.

The issue in my opinion is how do you prove to businesses like these, that there is a ROI and provide them with a service at reasonable cost, a bespoke website is out of the question for many.
    2 people like this.
  15. tonyk

tonyk Renowned Member

I am the same. If they aren't on the internet then I am not going to utilise their services.
  16. Warren Cottis

Warren Cottis Well-Known Member

The Internet was here to stay years ago..

Now there's Ipads and Iphones... Androids etc for instant communication

It's all about connectivity when the S^#T Hits the Fan like this morning when the hot water system was bubbling out of its body.

Who do you call?... the person who is the most in your face with the most reliable impression... end of story
  17. tonyk

tonyk Renowned Member

It still staggers me that there are businesses out there that aren't on the internet.
  18. The Copy Chick

The Copy Chick Renowned Member

It staggers me some of the reasons they're not!
    1 person likes this.
  19. spinninghill

spinninghill Active Member

Couldn't agree more. And even then though, even say a Tradie (who wants to advertise - assuming they need to) is mad if they don't have a basic website.

A website very much compliments a word of mouth referral from a friend or client. E.G Check out Dave's kitchens for your new kitchen. You can see his work and prices at www.Daveskitchens.com.made-up
  20. kathiemt

kathiemt Renowned Member

Yes, we had a problem with a hot water system a few weeks ago. It was leaking badly. We discovered early morning. Did a Google search and found a company that looked professional from their website and said they were on call 24/7. So we took them at their word and rang at 6am. They answered the phone within 3 rings (another important factor in my books). They knew the make and model and informed us their supplier doesn't open till 7am but they would be there later that morning to replace and reconnect. And they did. We'll keep them as our plumbers in future.
    2 people like this.