1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Shopify v Big Commerce

Discussion in 'Selling online' started by gadget72, Mar 3, 2019.

1. gadget72

gadget72 Member

Good afternoon, I am new to this forum and have been reading some great advice/threads.

My wife and I have ordered stock for our online business and are ready to start setting it all up. It's all new to us and been googling articles/comparisons between Shopify and Bigcommerce. I would appreciate peoples thoughts on here, be great to hear from your personal experience, good and bad.

Some basic questions I have are :
    Does Shopify and Bigcommerce automatically link to Amazon & Ebay?
    Which one is best to shop on for the mobile phone user/shopper?

Thank you
  2. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo @gadget72 . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting today.

This thread and this thread both reference Shopify (and eCorner) for reference.

Cheers
  3. chewlim

chewlim Member

What type of products you're selling? Plus, will you have many SKUs?
  4. gadget72

gadget72 Member

Many thanks Paul
  5. gadget72

gadget72 Member

It’s going to be Women’s accessories.. approx got 200 items to start off with to test the market. Then all goes well increase the numbers of those items and add more variety also, new products.
  6. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

If you put ''Shopify Big Commerce'' in the forum search you will find a few where a comparison is made, rather then post's just having a whinge about NETO and suggesting other products
  7. John Debrincat

John Debrincat Well-Known Member

Not trying to answer for Paul but maybe it is because Shopify and Bigcommerce have never been members of Flying Solo, never been members of the forum, never contributed and seem like they couldn't give a toss about Australian small businesses. Come to think about it that is probably a major difference in reality.

John
  8. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

John, I understand that, but he has directed the OP to a couple of whinge threads about NETO, where as the question is in regard to Shopify and Big Commerce, I guess I was trying to help the person out in regards to their question, rather then send them of to a whinge post, help them finding some posts which are already present on the forum, and directly relevant to their query..

Don't get me wrong I have suggested Ecorner to a few people, but the question wasn't about NETO or Ecorner.

I didnt know that you had to be a member of Flying Solo for people to answer in regards to your product. I am guessing 90% of the posts should be deleted in that case.
  9. John Debrincat

Yeah I know Bert just getting touchy in my old age.

My point about contributing is that larger organisations would rather spend their money on marketing than understand what people actually want. If I had half a billion US dollars to spend on marketing maybe I'd think the same way. Probably not.

John
  10. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Just for the OP though throw Ecorner into your considerations from what I have seen around here they are very helpful.
  11. chewlim

chewlim Member

There is plenty of comparison article on the internet. Here is one of them: https://www.stylefactoryproductions.com/blog/bigcommerce-vs-shopify

My personal opinion is to go with Shopify for the following reasons:
    - Shopify is very user-friendly.
    - Very quick and easy to set up.
    - Plenty of support materials.
    - Very easy to find help or hire a Shopify experts/developers.
    - A lot of fashion based themes. Most of them are mobile friendly.

The biggest downside of Shopify is the transaction fee.
  12. gadget72

gadget72 Member

Many thanks chewlim and all that responded. Yes it seems like the fees push people to big commerce, the mobile factor could swing it though. One last question for you mate if I may. Once the shop is set up in either shopify or big commerce, do they link the shop for you to Facebook, amazon, google shopping etc.. ie. we won’t have to do anything I think during lunch today I’ll reach out to both for his answer also, see what response I get.. cheers
  13. El Arish Tropical Exotics

El Arish Tropical Exotics Active Member

It sounds like you haven't really done a lot of research into eccomerce and are investigation the two whose name comes up the most. My advice is to look at what sort of shopping cart you'll need for fashion, what sort of shipping you'll be doing (flat rate vs postage calculator) how you will be fulfilling your orders (bulk pick or third party inventory) and other specific issues that you'll need tailored to your business, etc and look at all options available. Every ecommerce solution has different strengths and weaknesses and pricing plans include different features.. Why not set up free trials in each solution and have a play with features and pricing?

I'm one of the people having a jump from Neto and I'm amazed at how much I've learned about different options out there from other users that are also jumping. Many are not choosing to go with Shopify and Big Commerce doesn't seem to be getting any action. I certainly look at front end and backend very differently now. Chew I was very impressed with Ricemill, if I were bigger you would definitely be a front runner.

Right now Ecorner is my strongest contender but I just need find the time to set up a free trial and play with it.

Bert, this is the "Selling Online" Forum. If you think the Neto posts are all "whinge threads" perhaps you should scroll on by the threads that mention Neto ;)
  14. gadget72

gadget72 Member

Many thanks for your reply, very helpful..I have just been on the shopify forums which has so much information and it’s good to see what people’s problems are with their system also. I think my wife and I will bite the bullet and go with one or the other this weekend and start setting it up. Cheers
  15. chewlim

chewlim Member

On Shopify, you can connect to all the above. I'm not too familiar with Bigcommerce. So, can't comment on that.
  16. chewlim

chewlim Member

Thanks. You can definitely benefit from Ricemill if you run your own warehouse and processing over 20 orders daily.
  17. Tbsco

Tbsco Member

I have been using Shopify for almost 2 years, and opened my 2nd website with them a little over 6 months ago. We ran into quite a significant issue with Shopify for our 2nd store end of last year, that actually made me reconsider my loyalty to Shopify and I started scouting for an alternative platform . Long story short, after evaluating many platforms including bigcommerce I decided to stick with Shopify. They have so much money behind them and invest big money into their platform. Yes, they might be more expensive if you are not using their payment system but as you are in women's accessories, there's no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't.

Shopify has a lot of users and there's a ton of resources out their. I don't have a technical background but to date I have done everything on my website DIY and with the assistance of Shopify support .

As far as Amazon and eBay integration, I believe there are some apps that claim to do that with eBay but not Amazon Aus as far as I'm aware .I manage my own listings on Amazon for now

Feel free to let me know if you would like to know anything else.
  18. John Debrincat

Neither BigCommerce or Shopify automatically link to eBay Australia or Amazon Australia. Both need add-ons to connect to these marketplaces. That is a major downside of these platforms, you need 3rd party paid add-ons for almost everything. As they are developed by 3rd parties it matters little what the development investment is by Shopify or BigCommerce. Don't kid yourself about how much is spent on R&D by shopify they spent over 200% more on marketing and sale vs research and development. They made a operating income loss of US$92 million in 2018. They have a US$64.5 million net loss to share holders in 2018 and have accumulated losses every year since they started reporting.

When will the love affair end?

P.S. eCorner support both eBay and Amazon Australia out of the box. eBay is easy to implement for a merchant but Amazon is a little harder and you need to know what you are doing. It is difficult to list products that are not already listed on Amazon and they need to be first approved by Amazon.

John
  19. Tbsco

Tbsco Member

John, are you able to share a few examples of websites built with eCorner?
  20. John Debrincat

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019