1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Square POS and Online Store (squarespace?)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by germansalamanca, Jul 3, 2020.

1. germansalamanca

germansalamanca Member

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and safe. Despite the current climate, my partner and I are opening a retail store. There's 2 things that we still need to figure out, but I will break it in 2 different threads, so this one is about using Square POS and payments and also selling products online.

We love the simplicity and how easy Square is, so we want to use Square as our POS system and in-store card payments. Square also offers a free Inventory Management, which it's pretty okay for our needs.

The trouble comes when integrating everything with an online store, managing the inventory of both (offline and online) becomes either difficult or expensive.

Square now offers Square Online Store, but the features are limited, so we don't want to use. We prefer Squarespace (we need the blog and other full website features), but then whatever we sell online, will not be synced with our offline inventory.

I would appreciate any feedback and ideas!

Will create another thread about creating SKUs, barcodes and printing tags :)

Thank you all!

David.
  2. VoIPSmart

VoIPSmart Member

There is Shopify POS that I think would be suitable as Shopify has a strong online ecommerce tool. It has the inventory management built in and you can get you printer etc also. No sure about barcode scanner.
  3. germansalamanca

germansalamanca Member

Hi @VoIPSmart

thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciate it. I did look into Shopify, the only downside I found is that their hardware - credit card reader - is not available in Australia, so you need to get your own terminal, meaning you pay the terminal fees for each transaction, plus Shopify’s fees for each transaction... ending up paying double. Am I right?

does anyone has experience using Shopify both online and in brick and mortar stores?

thank you!

4. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Have you looked at Ecorner
    germansalamanca likes this.
  5. germansalamanca

germansalamanca Member

Thanks, will have a look.
  6. BusinessTrade

BusinessTrade Active Member

If you want to build an eCommerce website that can scale without spending too much, look at the number of plugins/addons and integrations available and specifically what is required to implement them.

Any platform that doesn't have transparent information about how much it costs to integrate or documentation regarding that (whether or not you can do it with Zapier, or if there is a monthly cost, etc) will most likely require you to go down the custom option which generally costs lots of money.

If the platform you use has hardly any designers/developers, you're going to be spending a premium getting someone to do it for you.

There are a lot of WordPress and Shopify web designers and developers and since the market is quite competitive, you will be able to find relatively inexpensive professionals to help you.

I'm not trashing eCorner, they most likely have a free trial option as do the other options such as WordPress and Shopify.

Go and try them and see for yourself which is best. Then find quotes for each platform and see what is included and what the difference is.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  7. germansalamanca

germansalamanca Member

Thank you for your great insight @BusinessTrade

words of wisdom that I will consider for sure.

regards,

david
    BusinessTrade likes this.
  8. micknewman

micknewman Member

Hi David,

ECWID could be a good option as they have integrations for Square POS, Squarespace and WIX (another good option worth looking into).

ECWID is great for selling through social media platforms as well E.g. Instagram and Facebook.
    germansalamanca likes this.
  9. germansalamanca

germansalamanca Member

Thank you! that looks really great!
    micknewman likes this.