1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Stock Photos - best place?

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by LucasArthur, Jul 12, 2014.

1. LucasArthur

LucasArthur Renowned Member

Hi Peeps

Ok, i have a little project that may require some stock imagery.. Not sure best place to get from and it all gets to confusing with the sites i have visited.. Example.. Sign up for a per month plan and get xx credit.. each image is worth x credit multiply by 4,6,8,10 or more credits.. i am getting lost..

Any pointers on better sites to get stock imagery from and best way to buy (cheapest always the best though :D)

Thanking all in advance

Jason
  2. expatpat1

expatpat1 Member

Hi Jason,
    Getty images has just released 35 million photos free to use, so worth checking out their site.

Failing that, here's a site that I used which linked to a bunch of stock photo services - http://www.wework.com/magazine/knowledge/10-resources-replacing-generic-stock-photos/

Also worth looking at Flikr as some of those photos on their can be used as stock photos. Some royalty free, some paid.

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Pat
  3. bluepenguin

bluepenguin Renowned Member

I use Dollar Photo Club
    They have a huge library (including many images you'll find on the more expensive sites), no ongoing contracts, and you only ever pay $1, not matter what size.

The tiny downside is that their interface can be a little annoying.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. Dave - FS Concierge

Dave - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Mirella Vertigo

Mirella Vertigo Member

Hi Jason,

To clarify, just because something is "royalty-free" doesn't mean it's free to use. Most photos on free stock image sites are for personal use only. You need to buy a license/pay a fee to use the photos commercially. Commercial use will attract a much higher cost. Some sites like iStockphoto have certain tiers of commercial use, for example, it will cost more if you want to use a photo 5000 times than 200 times.

Another thing to consider is photo quality. A smaller size and low-resolution image will cost a lot less than a larger size and high-res one (obviously), but businesses these days can't get away with having a tiny low-res images, especially in print materials. Buying a small image then enlarging it to the largest size possible (as a way of getting around paying for the larger image) is always met with dire results. For image optimisation, the minimum is 300 dpi for print and 72 for web.

It's also a good idea to gauge what your competitors are doing with their images because a lot of businesses use the same uninspiring stock photos. Pretty sure we're all sick of seeing the same handshake with the same guy in the same board room!

Why all these boring rules and regulations for photos? Because if you take an image from a Google search or you use a photo on a stock image site for commercial purposes without paying for it and you get busted, you could face a copyright lawsuit. No one wants that! And with Google's reverse image search it's now easier than ever for photographers to find out if people have been "stealing" their work.

If you let me know what type of image you want and what you want it for, I can help you find a cost-effective, legitimate, and suitable resource. :)

@expatpat1 – Getty Images are free for non-commercial use only. Flickr has photos free for commercial use but you need to check the licensing first for the extent of that use.

Mirella
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. help4bis.com

help4bis.com Active Member

Any image taken before 1955 is copyright free under AU law.
    Any image of

Bunch of sites with free images.
    http://websitefromscratch.org/free-royalty-free-images-for-commercial-use/

Now re copyrights,
    If I take a picture of someone... with my camera.. In the first level I would own the copyright, yet if the person in the picture challenges that, they most likely will.

There was a case not so long ago, that someone claimed copyright on an image of them and I believe they won that case. But that is a legal thing.

Key points
    • Generally, copyright in photos lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years.
    • Copyright has expired in photos taken prior to 1 January 1955.
    • Ownership of a photo varies depending on the circumstances under which it was taken.
    • You will not own copyright just because you own the camera.
    • Photographers also have moral rights in relation to their works.

This applies to photos.
    1 person likes this.
  7. expatpat1

expatpat1 Member

Thanks for the update Mirella. I haven't used Getty for my commercial stuff yet so good to know.

Pat
  8. Adam Hodgson

Adam Hodgson Member

Hi Jason,

Here is another one http://unsplash.com/

Adam

1 person likes this.
  9. MissSassy

MissSassy Renowned Member

Hi Jason

I use istock and just have a credit with them as I use the images for my blogs too.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Luke Jones

Luke Jones Member

Another thumbs up for unsplash.com, great site.
    1 person likes this.
  11. Slinky_Thing

Slinky_Thing Member

We use dollar photo club. Name says it all. Unsure how long they will stay cheap. You have to sign up to a membership - don't worry when they say they need to review and decide. It's all computer generated but I think they want to appear a little exclusive. Think it's about $10 and you can have pics of all sizes.

They have most of the same stock as shutterstock etc.

Images come up well in web and print.

Hope that helps :)
  12. LuchiaBloomfield

LuchiaBloomfield Active Member

1 person likes this.