1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

The Best Small Business Books Shelf

Discussion in 'Get productive' started by Astrid, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

Hi

I was wondering if we could build a thread with book recommendations from users? No matter if they are educational, inspirational or just entertaining (business) books. I'm always looking for new titles, for presents or for myself.
    Couldn't this thread be pinned to the top of the board, Jayne?

Here are my most recent reads:

"Why people fail" by Siimon Reynolds, one of Sydney's advertising personalities and now business coach, mentor and keynote speaker. Very entertaining and very much 'on the spot'. He covers almost everything from business routines to work life balance.

From his book list at the end I picked "A Passion for Success" by Kazuo Inamori, one of Japans most influencial entrepreneurs, born in 1932 and still rolling ;-) He shares inspirational, spiritual and practical thoughts on life and business in short essays.

Cheers,
    Astrid
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
    opsvirtuous and Tarnae like this.
  2. BB

BB Member

Oh Astrid - what a good idea!

But where to start? Reading is a passion of mine and I have quite a good library with so many favourites.

Hhmm... let me see

I'd start with -

"The Fall of Advertising and the Rise of PR written by AL Ries and Laura Ries.
    "High Heeled Success" written by Marcia Griffin (a must read for all women in business)
    "How I raised myself from failure to success in selling" by Frank Bettger

Then ... well, I'm sure there are lots of favourites from other members.

Happy Reading!

B.B.
  3. ozcos

ozcos Member

Great Idea, a book or reading referral forum.
    You kinda made me head to the library and pull a few of I got value from…

Here’s a sample (no particular order)

What choice Do I Have? by Michael Kerrigan

The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz, Ph.D.

A Millionair’s Common Sense approach to Wealth by Dexter Yager

High Five by Ken Blanchard, Sheldon Bowles

What choice Do I Have? By Michael Kerrigan

What I didn’t learn at school but wish I had by Jamie McIntyre

The first book of life Skills by Larry James

That’s a few starters, wow looking back at them maybe I should go over them again……

I tend to find each time you read these books you have different priorities in your life, so each time you revisit them you get something you missed the last time or do we just relate in a different manner.

After a while you learn that in particular times in your life you can pick up the right book and just “go over” the sections that apply.

Cheers,
    Ned91 and gen Y advantage like this.
  4. Scratch

Scratch Member

Business Stripped Bare - Richard Branson

Before you Quit Your Job - Robert Kiyosaki

kind regards

Shane Scott
    Scratch Property
    www.scratch.net.au
    1 person likes this.
  5. Steve_Minshall

Steve_Minshall Well-Known Member

Influence: Science and Practice (Robert B. Cialdini)

Steve
  6. ray_223

ray_223 Active Member

I could add so many - but 2 of the best for me:

The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing - Al Ries & Jack Trout

Create Your Own Future - Brian Tracy

And I don't think any list would complete without:

Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
  7. [Former] FS Concierge

[Former] FS Concierge Renowned Member

Thanks for this idea Astrid!

My current faves...

Buy-Ology by Martin Lindstrom and anything by Seth Godin.

Cheers
    Jayne
  8. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

Hey, my book list is growing, thanks ;-)

And thanks, Jayne for sticking the thread to the board.
  9. [Former] FS Concierge

Thanks Astrid, but actually it was Peter :)
  10. Past-Member

Past-Member Renowned Member

My favourites include design and art books.
    You could say I was a passionate collector of design and art books. :)

The Art of Pixar (image attached) - book
    It includes a foreword by John Lasseter, essays, interviews and over "250 full-color pastels, pencil sketches, storyboards, and final rendered frames" from the shorts, from The Adventures of André and Wally B. and Luxo Jr. onward.

I love the book because it shows the development of an idea and concept on paper, through to the development on screen.

Logo Design Love - book by David Airey (image attached)
    A guide for designers (and clients) who want to understand what this mysterious business is all about. Written in reader-friendly, concise language, with a minimum of designer jargon, Airey gives a surprisingly clear explanation of the process, using a wide assortment of real-life examples to support his points. Anyone involved in creating visual identities, or wanting to learn how to go about it, will find this book invaluable.

I love the book because it shows the value of having a good designer create for a client and the reasons behind good logos.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

11. Cesar

Cesar Active Member

One of my best Authors is Seth Godin and I would highly recommend all business owners read his book Purple Cow.
    1 person likes this.
  12. TonyArena

TonyArena Member

Hi!

Interesting topic. I'm currently reading "Drive - The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us" from Daniel H. Pink, very much recommended.
  13. CarpentersNow

CarpentersNow Member

Below are a few books that have recently help me in business and life, I have included the title and snip its of the amazon reviews

enjoy!
    Carpenters Now
    www.carpentersnow.com.au

Conquer The Chaos - How to grow a successful small business without going crazy
    Conquer the Chaos speaks to you as a small business owner by making sense of the overwhelming demands on your business and providing a twenty-first century recipe for success with sanity. With engaging stories, quotes, and examples, Conquer the Chaos leads you through the six strategies you can incorporate to bring order to your business today. Find the money, time, and freedom in entrepreneurship that inspired you in the first place

The Emyth Revisited - Why most small business don't work and what to do about it
    In this first new and totally revised edition of the over two million copy bestseller, The E-Myth, Michael Gerber dispels the myths surrounding starting your own business and shows how commonplace assumptions can get in the way of running a business. Next, he walks you through the steps in the life of a business -- from entrepreneurial infancy through adolescent growing pains to the mature entrepreneurial perspective: the guiding light of all businesses that succeed -- and shows how to apply the lessons of franchising to any business, whether it is a franchise or not. Finally, Gerber draws the vital, often overlooked distinction between working on your business and working in your business. After you have read The E-Myth Revisited, you will truly be able to grow your business in a predictable and productive way.

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - by Steven R Covey
    The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change was a groundbreaker when it was first published in 1990, and it continues to be a business bestseller with more than 10 million copies sold. Stephen Covey, an internationally respected leadership authority, realizes that true success encompasses a balance of personal and professional effectiveness, so this book is a manual for performing better in both arenas.

The Second Coming of Steve Jobs - by Alan Deutchman
    For the legions who revere Apple Computer's high-profile cofounder as a godlike figure, the aptly titled Second Coming of Steve Jobs will prove an intriguing picture of a seminal time in their deity's roller-coaster life. It should emphatically vindicate their deeply held faith in the man and his ideas. But even for those with a lesser opinion, Alan Deutschman offers an interesting and enlightening look at the crucial period from Jobs's unceremonious Apple exit through his triumphant return.

Think and Grow Rich - by Nepolian Hill
    A must for anyone wanting to improve their lives and their positive thinking. There have been more millionaires and indeed, billionaires, who have made their fortunes as a result of reading this success classic than any other book every printed. NAPOLEON HILLS's "Think and Grow Rich" is the authors most famous work. This is the COMPLETE Reference Book. A true masterpiece with the fundamentals of the Success philosophy.

The Richest Man in Babylon - by George S. Clason
    This book holds the key to success-in the secrets of the ancients. Based on the famous "Babylonian principles," it's been hailed as the greatest of all inspirational works on the subject of thrift and financial planning.

All great books and worth a look at!

Carpenters Now
    www.carpentersnow.com.au
  14. snicho

snicho Member

Also recently picked up at an airport:
    - The Brand Called You by Peter Montoya and Tim Vandehey. McGraw Hill, 2009.
    I found it to be a great contemporary marketing book.

For fellow consultants:
    - How to be a Successful Consultant, by Don Matlock. Woodslane Press, 2009.
    This is good because it's written by an experienced Australian consultant.

And for those looking to combine art and business presentations:
    - Information Dashboard Design by Stephen Few. O'Reilly, 2006.
    Beautifully printed in full colour, it provides excellent advice on presenting data clearly.

I'll stop there before I give away all my secrets ;-)

Stephen
  15. smallspark

smallspark Member

16. seocourse

seocourse Well-Known Member

Mmm

Good topic

here are some on top of the laptop.

Freakonomics --> love it

How Starbucks saved my life

The 4 hour work week --> Tim Ferris (he is my personal Jedi MASTER)

Click from Bill Tancer (good for all the data/online marketers)

Business as UnUsual --> about the creator of the Bodyshop.

Before you quit your job --. from the same Guru of Rich Dad Poor Dad...
  17. [Former] FS Concierge

John, I am so with you on that. It is fabulous. Have you also read their more recent one Switch? It's definitely worth checking out.

:)

Jayne
  18. wecancreate

wecancreate Member

Hey everyone,

Apart from some of the Seth Godin books out there (as mentioned by one of the posters), I would personally add the following book that I just recently finished reading:

“Rework” by Jason Fried & David Heinemeir Hansson

It's full of great tips about doing business unconventionally. I've written up somewhat of a review/summary of it if any of you are interested. Check it out here.

--
    Adam Wozniak
    http://www.wecancreate.com - affordable, high quality web and graphic design
  19. engs

engs Member

I found all the books that I would recommend already on the list. One thing that I've found really useful is Audible.com. You can immediately download a lot of these books as audiobooks. Quite a few of them are unabridged too, which is a bonus. I listen to them in the car when I have to travel long distances or on the iPod as I go for a walk with the baby. Very useful way of absorbing books whilst multi-tasking.
    1 person likes this.
  20. Philip Stephens

Philip Stephens Member

I found "What would Google Do?" by Jeff Jarvis to be a very thought provoking book.

Borrowed it from the library and read it twice, and now have my own copy.

Regards - Phil S.