1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

'The Indoor Golf Centre' - Sunshine Coast

Discussion in 'Starting your journey' started by secretgolfproject, Feb 1, 2010.

1. secretgolfproject

secretgolfproject Member

Hi All,

So here we are - and I am putting my ideas on there for some feedback from everyone on here (especially those involved with the golf industry).

My concept is to offer the following...

- Indoor golf centre within a prominent and easy to reach Sunshine Coast area
    - 5 state of the art simulators, with the ability to offer practice facilities and over 50 high definition, life like golf courses for those who would rather play a round of golf. Only takes 1hr to play 18 holes per player!
    - Ability to cater for upto 20 players at one time at full capacity (more during corporate events - up to 40 players)
    - Indoor putting practice green with 'life like' turf
    - Great facility for beginner golfers, no pressure to perform as they can book a simulator on their own and play at their own pace
    - Great for those who want to improve their game as the simulator offers instant feedback on ball flight, spin, distance, swing path etc. For the serious golfer - this can wipe shots off the handicap
    - Ladies nights - to get more females involved in the game in a comfortable environment (champagne etc - I have looked into short term license requirements with govt and all seems good to do this sort of thing)
    - Corporate angle - everyone is in the same room rather than walking around the course! Keeps everyone talking and allows business to get the message out there
    - Networking groups could come along, have some breakfast and a coffee and meet other like minded individuals for a 'round' before work.
    - Competition Leagues for elderly golfers who would normally struggle to play a round of golf. There are a lot of aged care facilities on the coast catering for retirees who are still very active.
    - All weather facility - offering an all year round solution (as I write this, there are grey skies and lots of rain outside - not good for outdoor golf!)
    - Membership options for those who would utilise the centre

There is much much more to my concept, but that is the nuts and bolts of it. I would really appreciate any feedback - and if anyone can see any negatives (as I may be guilty of wearing rose coloured glasses for some of the time) I would love to hear them.

Similarly - any Sunshine Coasters, if you would use/not use this facility - let me know. I can only evolve the plan and concept if I am getting the right feedback.

I am keen to show people who may be too scared to go onto a golf course, and to offer those who practice on a regular basis the opportunity to really improve rather than hitting balls down the field all day and not really understanding at the end of the bucket, what they have learnt.

The simulator is like real golf outdoors ... indoors! You still use your own clubs and balls (or you can hire them from me!) and it is literally like playing outside but with air con instead!

Look forward to your feedback...
  2. dan

dan Guest

The golfing purists like me would disagree with that. I've tried simulators before and it just feels like a gimmick. I'd rather go to a range and see the flight of my ball than look at monitor. But that's not to say your business wouldn't work.

You might also look at the option of getting a pga pro in to give lessons.
  3. King

King Renowned Member

Sounds like a high capital investment....therefore a detailed level of market research is warranted. Talk to clubs - maybe a member discount etc so you align, not compete with them. Good access to golfers.

Also, with the year-round good weather, is the sunny coast the best spot? I'd have thought Melb or even Sydney (owing to space issues for golf course = travel) would be better?
  4. secretgolfproject

secretgolfproject Member

Hi,

I would readily agree that for an absolute purist there is still no comparison - moreover, it allows realism without visiting an outdoor facility.

With respect to weather up here - in fairness, a lot of the guys I play with avoid certain times due to the heat - and I think that this would be aimed more toward the 'social' aspect of the game. Golfers who are very serious about game improvement would benefit more from a practice angle rather than playing a round.

I believe that I will appeal to 2 distinct markets based on research...

1. Serious club golfers who will utilise the accuracy and data (which is stored for comparison over time) for practice and game improvement.
    2. New and social golfers - remember how intimidating it was teeing off for the first time? They can some along for a round alone or with mates, for a lot less than 18 holes at a course, and play in comfort and at their own pace.

I also see some side markets, namely elderly, female and kids who can benefit from using the technolog in different ways aswell.

I am currently looking into lessons and working in a pro who can offer tuiton etc and clinics.

Thanks for the advice to date - appreciate the feedback.
  5. JamesMillar

JamesMillar Renowned Member

There is one of these close to where I live in Melbourne http://www.golftec.com.au/ Not sure on how much space they have but its a pretty good location and its well presented - perhaps fly down and have a look if you progress to the next stage.

Indoor entertainment centres can be good businesses but managing your fixed overhead is the key. I'm not sure how much space you need but determine that first and build your financial model around it (my guess is at least 500 sm). I co-founded an indoor entertainment centre in Melbourne that has 5,500 square metres of indoor warehouse space close to the melbourne CBD (more than one acre) - trust me finding a good lease is the biggest challenge. Mitigate your risk with favourable lease conditions such as a short initial term with good long term options thereafter, low security / bond, no personal guarantees, and dump as many infrastructure costs onto the landlord as you can.

PM me if you have any specific questions about indoor operations and i'll give you some input.
  6. Davee

Davee Member

Hi..

I actually agree totally with you and have put some thought into this exact type of project for the exact reasons you mentioned. I have been looking into this for a month or two. In my research I have stumbled across your post.

Have you taken this any further?
    Are you looking for partners for this venture?

PS. I am also based on the Sunshine Coast
  7. mrbackspin

mrbackspin Member

We are an indoor golf bar in Sydney, looking to expand to a second location in the Sydney CBD and also in Melbourne and Brisbane. We have been established for 18 months and are already more successful than the other two indoor centres in Australia. We give 80 lessons a week and have tapped into the Corporate market. We host buck's parties and are planning a charity event in the comings months. We have done all the hard work setting up the systems and marketing/ Branding. I'd be interested in speaking to anyone already located in one of our expansion areas on how you can own part of all our centres.

Regards
    Scott
    1 person likes this.
  8. SportsCourtsBuilder

SportsCourtsBuilder Member

Hi

I have just come across this post. Just seeing if anything had progressed as I have an interest in an indoor golf centre.
  9. spinninghill

spinninghill Active Member

Likewise, am curious just becasue I'm curious. Sunny Coast actually has a lot more rainy days than people would imagine. Definitely more rainy days than Brisbane (not based on any real stats, just perception..)
    1 person likes this.
  10. Mark2012

Mark2012 Member

Hi all,
    This is my first post on this site.
    Is anyone still interested in looking at whether an indoor golf centre is viable on the sunshine coast? Or maybe in Brisbane?
    If so, please contact me.
    Cheers
    Mark
  11. tonyk

tonyk Renowned Member

Being based in Brisbane, an indoor golf centre is something that I would love.
  12. Rob Perkovic

Rob Perkovic Member

Agree. Sounds like you need to identify your target demographic and put the survey to them and see what they have to say....after all, they are your market.

Best of luck