1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Tips for new players to the forums

Discussion in 'New here? Share your story' started by [Former] FS Concierge, Sep 17, 2013.

1. [Former] FS Concierge

[Former] FS Concierge Renowned Member

Hi there,

Thank you for joining the Flying Solo forums – you’ve made our day!

We’ve put together this list of handy tips to help you get the best from your time here and suggest you spend a few moments working through them before making your first post.

Set up your signature: Your forum signature appears underneath your posts, so anyone who’s interested in your products or services will know where to find you. To set yours up, head to the Control panel, and choose Signature. Please keep your signature short (4 lines, 200 characters max) and professional. Adding a tagline and linking to your business website is fine, but no more than three links are permitted and no images please.

Show us your face: We’d love it if you personalised your profile by uploading a headshot to appear alongside your posts. First crop your picture to be 80 x 80 pixels and no more than 19.5 KB, and then head back to the account area and choose personal details and upload an image from your computer, upload the file, and save your changes.

Personalise the rest of your profile: Also in your account area, choose from the menus to enter a little more info you’d like to share about yourself and your business (including where you’re based), and include links to your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest accounts. (Hint: When linking to your social media pages, make sure NOT to include http:// and to scroll right to the bottom of the page to save the changes you’ve made).

Read up on the rules: To help get a handle on how things work around here, please have a read through of the forum community guidelines, and this brief introduction to forum etiquette.

All done? Right-oh, you’re ready to make your first post! We recommend you start by introducing yourself and your business to the rest of our community by starting a new thread in the New Members section of the forum. Once that’s done, feel free to jump in and get amongst it.

And if you have any questions, please send me a private message (PM) – I’m here to help and will respond within 2 working days, probably sooner ☺.

All the best,

Jayne and the FS Crew
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
  2. The Content Bloke

The Content Bloke Member

I can't find the signature setting you mentioned. Have I overlooked something or is this a feature available only to premium members?
  3. Dave - FS Concierge

Dave - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Content Bloke,

Simply head to your account area when logged in (look for your username in the top right nav of this page), then look for the signature link in the left column.

Welcome aboard!

Dave
    1 person likes this.
  4. JenGreenlea

JenGreenlea Member

Hi Jayne,

Thanks for the tips for my profile for the forum.

I am wondering if there is any way I can receive alerts about messages and threads with particular topics that are relevant to my business?

For example, I would like the opportunity to read and respond to anyone with queries about labels, stickers and new businesses needing help with their printing needs, such as business cards and flyers.

Can you please let me know if and how I can track these forum discussions?

Many thanks,
    Jenny
  5. Peter - FS Administrator

Peter - FS Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for joining and welcome :)

There's no way I know of within the forum to set up alerts for new posts covering certain keywords, but there are a few options.

One is to run a keyword search of the threads here - this can filter by 'keyword', 'date' and some other settings which you can save, so if you ran this regularly you could find relevant posts that way.

Also, using the 'thread tools' or 'forum tools' links in the menu above threads and post pages you can subscribe to discussions that you'd like to follow. And, by default, you also get subscribed to threads you participate in (these setting can be edited in control panel).

It's not something I've used a lot, but as a more general tool, I've heard that Google Alerts, https://www.google.com/alerts, can be a really powerful way to monitor the web for new content.

Hope that helps and any questions just let me know.

Cheers
    Peter
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Sales Coaching GC likes this.
  6. daringdiva

daringdiva Member

Hi. i still can't find control panel despite all my attempts, can someone point me in the right direction please because its not at the top left of this page.

thnx
    Mona
  7. Peter - FS Administrator

Hi Mona,
    Sorry for the confusion, we've relaunched the site in the last couple of months so the 'control panel' has moved! (I'll edit the old post above as it refers to the old location). It's now in the top right menu of the forums when logged in (look for your username in the menu), or click here to access when logged in.

That's where you can add a signature and edit your forums settings.

Hope that helps!
    Peter
    daringdiva likes this.
  8. daringdiva

daringdiva Member

Thank you Peter I found it! :)
  9. Peter - FS Administrator

Nice one :) And I can see you've added a signature too!
  10. totalyrecycled

totalyrecycled Member

Hi I was reading a post about this forum over on the Warrior forum so I decided to check it out as I am also in Australia. I have posted a little about myself in the introduce your self section. I realy like the lay out of this forum and it seems that you have a pretty big following also, so congratulation on that as well.I will visit the other forums when i get time and post if there is any thing I can help people with .Thanks in advance for letting me join.Sincerely Andrew Aidulis
  11. Peter - FS Administrator

Hey Andrew - so glad you made it across :)
    Hope to see you in the discussions.
    Cheers
    Peter
  12. totalyrecycled

totalyrecycled Member

Thanks peter .
    I think my other introduction post got edited I Didn't read the posting rules lol but all is good.Hope I didn't tread on any ones toes by plugging my website .Have read the rules now :). Will certainly join any discussions that I can add useful advice or help with.I did put a signature in my profile but it doesn't seem to be showing. Will have another look ma-bee i did it wrong or something.Cheers Andrew.
  13. Peter - FS Administrator

Hi Andrew,
    No problem at all - it can be tricky to get the head around everything and our moderators are eagle eye :) I think this is your intro post over here and I can see that your signature is now appearing so hopefully smooth sailing from here :)
    Any issues just let us know.
    Cheers
    Peter
  14. Detailn

Detailn Member

Hi, not sure if this is the correct section to ask this but I cant get my pic to show on the forum. In the control panel the pic I selected is there but it also says 'no picture selected'.

I have resized it to 80x80 and 18kb.

Cheers.

Nick.
  15. Peter - FS Administrator

Hi Nick,
    I've sent you a message. If you you could email me your image (or attach it here) I can check in the backend for you.
    Cheers
    Peter
  16. Rena OakTeckVA

Rena OakTeckVA Member

Hi guys,
    It's good to join this forum. Recently moved to Melbourne from NZ, I have been looking for a local platform for a while. FlyingSolo looks great. I am glad I've made it here.
    Cheers,
    Rena
  17. Gizmo

Gizmo Active Member

I'm glad you posted this article.
    I would upload a picture of myself but having seen and read about identity theft I avoid doing so, I hope you all don't mind me using an avatar :)
    Dave - FS Concierge likes this.
  18. Samantha-C

Samantha-C Member

Hi,

Is it possible to change my username? I've somehow ended up as Samantha-c which isn't one I would have picked, at least not without a capital C! Please can you point me in the right direction for doing so?

Many Thanks,
    Sam
  19. Peter - FS Administrator

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for getting involved :)
    I can help with this. I'll send you a direct message now.
    Cheers, Peter
    Samantha-C likes this.
  20. JoeMorrison

JoeMorrison Member

Hi
    I have just sorted out an issue with Lisa's kind help which had my email address showing instead of my user name. The first post I made on a topic is still showing the email address. Is there somewhere I can delete the post?

Cheers
    Joe