1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Twitter tips...

Discussion in 'Marketing mastery' started by MissieK, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MissieK

MissieK Member

I've just joined Twitter (http://twitter.com/MissieK if anyone wants to follow).

Does anyone have any tips on how I can make the most of Twitter to promote my business?

And if you use Twitter, how did you get people to follow you?

Melissa
  2. JodieR

JodieR Member

I've just been doing this over the last couple of days. Will add you and get back to you on that one. I will send you a direct message through twitter on a person to join to help you with this.
  3. LeelaCosgrove

LeelaCosgrove Member

1. You get people to follow you by following them. Add "MrTweet" as a friend and he'll return you a list of people with similar details to you. Add them and most will add you back ... from there you'll end up interacting with other people and it all just kind of happens organically. You can also add your Twitter link on your website, facebook account, etc.

2. Whenever I post a new blog post, I always update my status on Twitter, Facebook and Linked in: New Post on My Blog "5 Things you Need to Know BEFORE Getting Into a Home Based Business" www.businesswritersanonymous.com.au/blog

I've noticed a large spike in traffic since I've started doing this.

Of course, it only works if you're actually interacting with the community and they see value in what you say and so WANT to go and check out your blog ... from there, you've got them on your website so that's Major Hurdle #1 overcome!
  4. JodieR

JodieR Member

hmmmm maybe I can only send you a direct message if you follow me as well. I've just 'followed' you.

One of the first people you need to follow is MrTweet - in about 12-24hrs he will send you a Direct Message with a link where you go and he recommends 200 people to follow. I selected a few that I found interesting and some aussies to Network. A lot of them will then follow you.

There's a few help pages or tweeters here and there as well.

The main part is to post something interesting regularly and you will get people to follow you.

Don't flat out advertise too much because this will turn people off a bit as well. Helpful tips, link to a blog etc. is good.

Shorten and Track your links using: http://tweetburner.com/

you don't have many characters so long URL's take up too many. With the track you can see your stats and what comments/URL's are being clicked on by the community.

Spend some time viewing the "everyone" link and follow those you find interesting.

have a look at some of my friends - quite a few are into marketing, design, helpful tweet tips etc.

a few more links I found useful:

http://mashable.com/2009/03/03/retweetability-index/

oh poo... I found other blogs, that give you 7 tips to tweeting and the like but I can't find them on this computer. I will have to check my other computer and get back to you on that one.

some applications that I haven't looked in to yet

http://twitter.pbwiki.com/Apps#GroupsandOrganizations

Basically I started by googling different things to do with twitter because I had trouble finding what I wanted to do on twitter itself. So definitely try googling :eek:)

Hope some of that helps... Like I said, I'm still getting use to it myself.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  5. MissieK

MissieK Member

Thanks for the tips, and for following me :) I've just marked you all to follow back :)

Over morning tea I might do a search on twitter tips.

Melissa
  6. Lisa Murray - Biz Coach

Lisa Murray - Biz Coach Member

Hi Melissa
    I'm just getting into twitter as well - I put together a few twitter resources on my blog on Monday and will keep adding resources on the blog as I find good ones!

Also, I've just downloaded Flock (firefox replacement) - it is fantastic for integrating all your social networking. Have managed to link facebook and twitter up so far but have lots more to do!!

My best tip so far is to know what your objectives are - this will head you in the right direction strategically (more on my blog on this on 6 March...)

I'll add you to my follows!
    cheers
    Lisa
  7. JodieR

JodieR Member

sounds interesting Lisa, will have to check that out too at some stage.
  8. linkartist

linkartist Member

There are some great videos on Social Networking by Perry Belcher, a marketing consultant from the US who is really great.

RULE NUMBER 1: Don't use Twitter to flat out sell. This is a big mistake that businesses who use social networking make. The sales from social media marketing should be looked at as long-term results that come from relationship building.

Check out Perry's videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1cspHx7DU
  9. JodieR

JodieR Member

10. JodieR

JodieR Member