1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Web maintenance fees

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Queenofgreen, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Queenofgreen

Queenofgreen Member

I really enjoyed the article about web maintenance/ updates, hosting etc...,
    I would very much like to get an idea of what hosting and website maintenance should cost on a monthly basis? if there are some small businesses on this forum who can tell me what they pay then I would be grateful?
    I am with a web hosting company (a small one based in Australia) that offers full site maintenance as part of their managed hosting plans and quoting $300 per month, but that does include the fee of licences, Wordpress & plugins, updates etc..

thank you.
  2. Rowan@quaotic

[email protected] Well-Known Member

What do you need that you can't do it yourself? Unless you have quite a big business website maintenance is easy to do yourself and hosting for small businesses shouldn't cost more than about $100 a year.

Hosting sites give Wordpress free, and most plugins cost from free to $100 one off fee. The thing you would probably be paying that amount of money or more for is marketing services, or actually building your website.

What is the fee they are quoting for actually for? It might be a good deal depending on the service.
  3. Queenofgreen

Queenofgreen Member

Thank you Rowan; - the website has been built. (so I dont think it includes that.) & there's no marketing really.
    So I'm interested to read your response. (& altho I do receive a good personal service, I cant afford almost $300 per month. But I am a bit of a tech dinosaur so slightly wary of doing the 'maintenance' myself.

This is what I have been quoted for:

- Website Firewall: YES
    - Monthly Care Report: YES
    - Software Updates: Weekly
    - Woocommerce Updates: YES
    - Performance, Security and Uptime Monitoring: YES
    - Keyword Monitoring: YES
    - Backup: Daily
    - Performance Optimisation: YES
    - Spam and Revision Cleanup: YES
    - Broken Link Checker: YES
    - Video Manuals: YES
    - Support: Help Desk
    - Professional Consultation: YES
    - Support Time*: 60 min (doesn't rollover)
    - Page Builder Pro: YES
    - Page Builder Addon: YES
    - Unlimited Content Updates: NO
    -Cancellation: 30 days notice
  4. Rowan@quaotic

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Most of those are nothing to do yourself - they take little time and effort. Pagebuilder pro is a one off fee of $39 US and you may not even need the pro version since your site is built. Support can be handy and worth paying for if you have a large site.
    I don't think it is worth the money, honestly, unless you are very insecure about handling your site at first.

If you were going to spend money, do it on marketing services, otherwise there are some great FB groups for giving help to non-techies and their websites if you get into trouble.
  5. Queenofgreen

Queenofgreen Member

Thank you. Much appreciated.
  6. BusinessTrade

BusinessTrade Active Member

The price is too much for just maintenance.

What type of business do you have?
    Queenofgreen likes this.
  7. Jonathan Waterworth

Jonathan Waterworth Member

Hi, I am a website designer and from my perspective, this seems super high for a monthly hosting package, I would expect for that price point you would be getting an SEO service included, not just typical maintenance.

Most of these things listed are automatically done and doesn't cost them anything or take much time to actually do.

Going through the list, the only things they are actually spending time on each month is updating plugins which 99% of the time is 2 clicks and server space for your website, I do think it is beneficial to pay someone to take care of it for you but this price does seem quite high.

Feel free to contact me if you need any more advice or help! Not looking for business just have heard too many horror stories of people getting ripped off from hosting companies taking advantage of non-tech savvy people.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Queenofgreen likes this.