1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Website maintenance and wordpress

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by ForSci, Aug 19, 2020.

1. ForSci

ForSci Member

We had a website built for our company a couple of years ago. It's a wordpress website.

All has been good in that time - it's a static website, just 5 basic webpages. It just serves for a way for people to find us.

We paid around $2000 to have it built and were happy with the result. This is our site: http://independentforensicservices.com.au/

Nothing has been done to the site in last couple of years, we haven't touched it and no maintenence, but it has been working abosutlely fine. We recently contacted the web developer to ask for a few updates to the copy, and all was fine.

Initially we were told that there were 16 system updates required for oour website for it to work properly and securely. These are at different levels: PHP (code version) + WordPress (CMS) + Theme&Plugins (installed in WordPress). In order to fix this she stated she would need to create a subdomain (development environment), backup the whole website,proceed with the system updates + cleanup & troubleshooting. The quote for these updates and the small ammendments to copy was $600.

We paid 50% deposit and agreed to commence work. But we now have been told she was able to create the subdomain and proceed with the necessary system updates but unfortunately, some of these are locked because of compatibility issues and missing/expired product licenses. This problem leads to the content of the pages being broken and uneditable in the backend. She is now offering to rebuild the site for an extra $350.

My question is, to any web developers on here, does this sound right? The website is operating fine from our perspective, so are we better to just leave it?! And is this normal, that a relatively new website would have this many issues? I am concerned about the average spend per year just to have a static website!

Any advice appreciated.
  2. LucasArthur

LucasArthur Renowned Member

Howdy

Not a web developer, although if your site was untouched for years and depending on the pages licenses (add ons etc etc), everything being said is highly likely.

WordPress updates every so often, it can break old plug ins and so forth.. this is possibly why they wanted to create a sub domain and back up the site just in case something broke - sometimes it does in this situation..

Overall, i dont think they are asking an arm and a leg - and if you sourced the web builder from reputation, hopefully this would carry merit to their advice as well...

All in all, you may find someone cheaper to go in and do it... although i feel this is reasonable IMO.. would love to read up on some other web gurus advice..

Also, might pay to ask what licenses are being renewed and do they need re-registration every 12 months etc etc or lifetime - aka ongoing fees...

Cheers
  3. ForSci

ForSci Member

Thanks so much for your reply - it's very re-assuring. We have faith in our web developer and have worked very well with her in the past, so are very keen to keep that relationship going.

Good point about asking re the ongoing fees for licenses. The developer has offered us a maintenance package of $150 per month which I am going to explore.

I honestly had no idea that these problems could occur!

Thanks again
  4. micknewman

micknewman Member

Hi,

I have some limited experience with Wordpress as a developer but I am familiar with it as our website also runs on Wordpress. I agree with Jason that the costs seem fair considering the work involved. Your PHP version is quite old now and should definitely be upgraded. It sounds like your developer is quite experienced and is being careful to limit your site's downtime as much as possible.

These days, when giving recommendations on static sites, I tend to go for for platforms like Wix or similar as it removes the need to be across all the tricky server management. I still recommend using a web developer for these setups, especially if you need customisation - you have a nice website and it's still pretty new so it's more something to consider for future upgrades.

I hope that helps!
  5. BusinessTrade

BusinessTrade Active Member

Are they charging you the maintenance fee as well as the $950 payable for the changes/updates?
  6. Jonathan Waterworth

Jonathan Waterworth Member

Hi as a web design, this sounds fair, I do not use WordPress anymore this being one of the reasons why.

As it is constantly being updated this means someone does need to make these updates on your website and if you have any plugins installed these require updating constantly as well!

One of the big reasons in needing to keep things updated is WordPress is known for hacking attacks through targetting of out of date systems.

There are lots of other options out there these days that do not need as much constant update, but there is always some work involved with having a website.

Feel free to contact me if you need if you have any further questions you need answered!
  7. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Good answers by some, good sales pitch by others so far.

But to answer this question, you say it's being up a couple of years, so 2 years later you are going to have to spend $950, so your average per year is a widget under $500.

It all comes down to Return on Investment (ROI).

To me $500 per year is a lot of dollars because I get one job a year from my website, and personally don't want any jobs from my website, just have it because we are told we need it for ''authenticity''. So I spend zero accept for hosting fee's.

But if you are making a million dollars worth of business from your website, its small bananas really. So you need to sit down and work out what is your website worth to you.

Watch out for those giving an answer who have no idea about your business and business marketing model.
  8. arrowwise

arrowwise Active Member

Wordpress is built for the developer more than the end user / business owners. There is a lot of routine tasks that need to happen to ensure all elements continue to function efficiently and reliably. Either you spent lots of time out of most peoples depth to keep on top of this or you engage a professional to take care of it all. In my opinion it can be at least a few hours per month to keep on top of everything if you are relying on your site to actually have a good ROI, rather than just be something on the internet as point of presence.
  9. danthecloudman

danthecloudman Member

Hey @ForSci,

I build WordPress sites day in, day out.

Updating your website on a regular basis is extremely important!

Unscrupulous scripts and individuals spend 24/7 looking for ways to break your website in order to extort money from you, and just generally inconvenience you.

The easiest way they do this? To look for known vulnerablilites in outdated software. Yes, that includes WordPress. I have lost count of the number of clients who have come to me telling me that somebody has "hacked their site", and my first question is always - did you keep it updated? Each and every time the answer has been no.

$600 to perform the updates - in my opinion this is a rort.

$350 to rebuild the site - this is a bargain. In saying that I'm going to guess that the real cost is $600 + $350 taking the total to $950, which for your very simple website - is a rort!

If you would like me to login to the backend of your WordPress and offer a second opinion, I would be more than happy to do this free of charge - just shoot me a message, or you can google me to find my direct contact details!
  10. Jaylene

Jaylene Member

Wow, you can update Wordpress yourself and all plugins simply by clicking the update buttons. I have been using Wordpress for years and it is the easiest thing to update. You don't need to create a subdomain to back it up. There are FREE plugins that will do full back ups.

Yes updates are essential as they repair vulnerabilities etc to prevent being hacked however anyone can do these with the click of a button. Wow I would do your updates for $50. Do you have access to the Wordpress Admin or are they hiding this from you in case you find out how simple it is to do the updates?
  11. LucasArthur

LucasArthur Renowned Member

This is a great option IF you understand wordpress.. IMO, it is very easy to break your website if you update a plugin that is not compatible.. Even getting the white screen of death, and if you cant access or dont know how to access the database to remove the active plugins.. ouch...

But if you know very little... tread carefully should be the advice
    bb1 likes this.
  12. Jaylene

Jaylene Member

Hi Lucas
    I agree with you however as long as you have a backup plan then it is not a problem. Even if a plugin destroys the site and you don't have backup simply connect via FTP and delete the plugin and re-install it.

I agree though that if you have no tech experience then sure leave it to the experts. By the way Lucas do you know why my image won't show on here even though Iv'e uploaded it?

Thanks - Jaylene
  13. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Your Avatar Image should be no larger than 200 x 200 Pixels.
    Please private message me if you continue to have problems.

Cheers
    Paul
  14. Jaylene

Jaylene Member

Hi Paul
    Yes the one I uploaded is but still isn't appearing for some reason.

Jaylene
  15. Jaylene

Jaylene Member

This is my exact image but it wont allow me to save it or use it?

Attached Files:

16. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

This actually sounds like a far more responsible approach to the upgrade then that suggested by @Jaylene, so many times I have seen people say just hit the upgrade switch and close your eyes, and 2 minutes later all is good. Sadly and in particular if there are multiple dependencies that rarely happens, and a testing (yes I said testing), approach is the most appropriate method.

plus the person providing the quote sounds like they have an intimate knowledge of the website, not just a 2 second look at the front end on a forum. The person providing the quote knows all the dependencies, etc.

The fact the original OP is asking the questions they have asked, there is no way I would be suggesting to them, hit the big blue switch and keep your fingers crossed.

I would run and run quickly from anyone offering to do it for $50, all care and no responsibility attached to these offers, suddenly if something does go wrong you are left in the, well you know what. Or as @danthecloudman offered '' If you would like me to login to the backend of your WordPress and offer a second opinion'', please never give anyone on a forum access to anything, Yes we are all 100% trustworthy on this and all forums.
  17. Jaylene

Jaylene Member

Hi Bert
    I was only kidding about the $50. All I meant was it is EXTREMELY simple to update plugins and themes and providing you have a proper backup there is nothing that cannot be reversed. I'm not trying to be a smart Alec but just letting you know that it is easy to do. I have been designing websites that have returned massive revenues since 2007 so I am not just mouthing off.

Kind regards Jaylene
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  18. Jaylene

Jaylene Member

Hi Bert
    Also if you host Wordpress with a company like Siteground then they have auto backup so it's impossible to mess things up as there is always a restore button to hit.