1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

What kind of Chair do you have?

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by Jexley, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

Hey kids,
    I've spent $48 on the Big W cheapo and got the $400 one off of eBay (for $9, which was awesome) but I have yet to find a chair that makes my lower lumbar happy.

Can other Bad Back Folks chime in with what they've got for a chair and how it makes their world ooze with awesomeness?

Cheers!
    -Judd
  2. [Former] FS Concierge

[Former] FS Concierge Renowned Member

Judd, I will be so interested in the results of your survey.

Sadly my $99 one from Freedom doesn't cut the mustard either, and is just a smidge lopsided. But it's hot pink, and that's the important thing, don't you think?

Jayne
  3. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

HA! Back in the day, wife refused to let me get the LG phone that came in Hot Pink.

I showed her though, 5 years later and I've got the LG Flat Keyboard in pink, and I got it half off, though I think these things might be related...

My chair was alienbarf green, so I sewed a new cover for it, but that doesn't help the fact that it actually gives me headaches through my neck. Stupid chair.
  4. jasonm

jasonm Member

I picked up a mesh back chair from mojo direct, had it over a year now and the quality seems good, it was something like $140 delivered.
  5. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

Yep, got that one from Office Direct for about $180 a few years ago. The back isn't adjustable though, which made me quite sad.

I did looooooove the mesh back in summertime though.
  6. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

7. Past-Member

Past-Member Renowned Member

8. OneArmedGraphics

OneArmedGraphics Active Member

I'm in the chair-seeking niche too. Astrid, do you know how much this one is?
  9. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

Hmmm... I think it's $349 mate. Heh.
  10. OneArmedGraphics

OneArmedGraphics Active Member

First thought = EEK!
    Next = hmm, considering the time I spend in my chair it's best to invest.

Something to think about. mm.
  11. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

See, I'm always all about test-driving 'em, and can be found int he back area of OfficeWorks making "vroom vroom" noises and scooting around in the $349 chairs.

Then I cry a little, and pay $100 instead.

I tried a few at Ikea that really tickled my lower lumbars, but can't find them for under $400 either.

Investment indeed...
  12. AgentMail

AgentMail Renowned Member

I know this might be a little dot com era, but have you thought about fitness ball? Supposed to be very good for those with back issues.
  13. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

A good chair is an important part of your ergonomic set up. You can't really look at what other people are sitting on as your body is different to theirs. Get the chair that is the best in so many ways and then adjust it. What you can do is put a cushion in your lumbar region to get the support. You can make one yourself in order to get it just right.

The one I bought a few years ago when I had really low iron and would fall asleep in front of the computer is totally wrong now that my health is a lot better. I've now taken the arms off it but the back has support in all the wrong areas for someone sitting up properly. What was fine when I was slumped down doesn't work now. I'd fiddled with the controls to get the angles as right as possible and then put a cushion or a folded scarf at my lower back to get support that way.

As I work on a laptop I'm going to have to invest in a better table. I want one that is on castors so I can just wheel my computer and half my office out of the dining room when we have people over. It needs to have room at the back for the computer and also a keyboard drawer. At present I have the keyboard on my lap and that's not quite right.

If you want any more advice, or if you're on my side of Melbourne and want me to come and have a look for you just yell.
  14. sensory fx

sensory fx Member

15. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

Thanks Jexley, for your help answering the price question.
    I have to admit, I got it as a present.
  16. bluepenguin

bluepenguin Renowned Member

I am sitting on a gym ball right now... It actually seems to be making my back hurt more than normal.

I have a customer that got the most amazing chair in the world from his chiropractor. You sit in it and everything adjust to provide the best support possible for your whole body. Only problem is that it was $900. I'd say it was well worth it though. I'm not sure what the brand is.
  17. John C.

John C. Active Member

I've heard amazing reports about Herman Miller chairs - this one in particular At over $2k, it's out of my budget at the moment though, so I just use my $99 Officeworks special, which gives me a good reason to get up every 30 minutes!

A more affordable Herman Miller chair is the Aeron, but I think that's also up around the $1k mark.

I've never had one of these really high end chairs, but did have a $300 or $400 office chair at my last job (just a standard computer chair on castors) and the difference in comfort between that and my $99 one at home is very noticeable. The padding on the seat of my current cheap chair is very thin and easily compressed, where as the more expensive chair provided much better support and comfort, with firmer cushioning that I could comfortably sit on for hours at a time without thinking about it. Like most things, you get what you pay for up to a certain point. You probably don't need to spend thousands to get a decent chair, but those Herman Millers sure do look nice!
  18. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

Wife is, as I type this, "reminding" me that she's suggested a gym ball before.

I see the rather sizable prices for the Awesome Chairs and now I wonder what the cost of a giant sitty beachball is. I'm thinking they should be $25-$30, which means they're probably $90.
  19. altaimage

altaimage Member

I'd like to say mine is more of a throne than a chair but i'd be lying!

Anyway, back on topic - get one of these foot stool chair things, they look strange as can be and you'll probably feel a bit weird at first semi-kneeling all day. When I had a bad back they we're ace, really good, you can only sit up straight on them so it's a win - win as far as back pain goes!

Here's a link to what they look like, not seen one yet in Officeworks or the like but when I do...

http://www.naturalliving.co.uk/acatalog/kneeling_chairs.html
  20. mineral

mineral Member

I have two aerons at home and one at work. They are great and result in me being able to work for longer periods of time without getting sore/stiff.