1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Where do you get your best ideas?

Discussion in 'Get productive' started by Lucy Kippist, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Lucy Kippist

Lucy Kippist Active Member Staff Member

I got a text from a friend this morning. After weeks toying with a name for her new business, she finally found one after driving for three hours down the coast and spending some time outside her normal routine.

Hooray for her! And it got me thinking that I too get my best ideas when I step away from normal life. Doesn't even have to be overnight, just a change in location for a day can do it for me.

How about you?
  2. LucasArthur

LucasArthur Renowned Member

Some of my best thoughts, ideas or when i need to 'refresh' my viewpoint tends to come when i remove myself from my standard space and relocate to a coffee shop - be it my regular, or heading elsewhere for something new, as long as it has wifi - i'm good...

Its like the old retail adage, sometimes one becomes store blind due to being within the same space and 4 walls (example) which prevents the person from seeing things uniquely. Key reason is everything becomes the norm, and its hard to break away from the 'norm' or work on the problem/idea/opportunity from 'within' the problem/idea/opportunity.

This also happens in corporate, although instead of taking the lower ranking corporate monkeys (LOL) out of the environment, management tends to introduce a new element in the form of a guest facilitator or program etc etc to stimulate and think from outside of the normal routine..

Oops, this became more than you asked for - apologies.. but to reconfirm my reply, i merely remove myself from the existing and routine environment in order to stimulate a different point of view that hopefully brings forward a new method of thinking and seeing a solution that was not present before from within the box..

Cheers
    Lucy Kippist likes this.
  3. Lucy Kippist

This is a great reply Jason, thanks! Also i had not thought about this before:

"his also happens in corporate, although instead of taking the lower ranking corporate monkeys (LOL) out of the environment, management tends to introduce a new element in the form of a guest facilitator or program etc etc to stimulate and think from outside of the normal routine."

Excellent points.
  4. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

I have 2 times where ideas come about.

1. When I am out doing my hobby (Geocaching), as I am in a relaxed environment, often just walking in the bush or some other interesting environment, and all the humdrum of daily life is forgotten. But some brilliant idea will pop up.

2. Strangely, I have a couple of jobs where all I am doing is sitting on the ride on going around, and around, and around in circles for a couple of hours, and the mind tends to wander, and sometimes your best thinking can happen then as well.
    Lucy Kippist likes this.
  5. Lucy Kippist

Nature is definitely a muse when it comes to ideas and problem-solving!
  6. Dave - FS Concierge

Dave - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

7. BusinessTrade

BusinessTrade Active Member

Business ideas are a dime a dozen. You just have to analyse them properly when they pop up in your head to figure out whether they're a gem or a dud.
  8. JonJon1212

JonJon1212 Member

When I am watching videos of famous entrepreneurs, reading books and having conversations with my pals. Strangely enough, I don't see any business idea come out without filling up your mind with information. It's like with a car - you put into a gas (books, videos, conversations) to reach a certain milestone (come up with an idea)
  9. steve201

steve201 Active Member

Hi

I get my best ideas for business through life experiences, such as travel, youtube, books and conversations with others.