1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Writing as a business

Discussion in 'New here? Share your story' started by csipke, Aug 28, 2020.

1. csipke

csipke Member

Hi there,

My name's Michelle. I've been turning my spare time into learning time, mostly thinking of converting my skills to business opportunities. As part of my research, I'm hoping to get answers to the following questions:

1. What would you think of a website that published the beginnings of stories and allowed you to add the endings? Or even just write a portion and leave the rest for someone else? As many times as you like? (Think of all those times you finished a story disappointed and thought "I could write that better")

2. Would you pay for something like that? A small amount or more?

3. What other incentives might be interesting?

4. What if your name were to appear on the story after you contributed?
  2. Rowan@quaotic

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Michelle.

It is not something that I would pay for, especially if I had contributed a major part of the work. As a fun exercise it would be attractive as something to pass the time, but again, not something I would pay for.
    I get where you are going with this but I am not sure it is viable - those who want to write can do it for free anywhere.
  3. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to Flying Solo Michelle,

This also sounds like it would be a fun app.

I too wouldn't pay for this but may spend some time on it.

It is harder to do these days but if the site became a success, you could sell adspace or use the site for Adsense and make money that way.

I would stick with the idea and try to work up some ways to monetise it.

Cheers
    Paul
  4. The Ale Tales

The Ale Tales Member

I love the idea, like a digital version of 'pass the story'? But I wouldn't pay to take part in something like this.

If you could somehow curate or 'guide' the story into something coherent, maybe you could sell the finished product?

Or maybe package it as a learning tool and aim it at schools?
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  5. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Rather then me pay you, I think you should be paying us to write your story, sounds backwards to me. We provide the creative input and pay you, no way
  6. OliverCivic

OliverCivic Member

I think the only way you could charge for this is if you made it a competition in some way. There are plenty of writing comps that charge for entry, so if you say 'This is your prompt for the month, you just finish the story' and then offer prizes for the top or top three entries, you might get some interest.

As a new site, you'll definitely get more interest if it was free. Looking at income, you could maybe give everyone one free entry a month and they pay to have more. Or there are some free comps and other paid ones (with bigger prizes).

From my experience, the best writing competitions are the ones that have a community attached to them. One I loved just got people to post on a forum and then they let other writers give feedback (I think that was a condition of entry, actually) so it meant people got to know each other and improve as writers.
    Paul - FS Concierge likes this.
  7. UmarBatchelor

UmarBatchelor Member

Many people wish to be an author of a book...perhaps if it is a rolling story where 50 people contribute to the story and the final book is edited , published with a beautiful cover with their name on it...50 people would refer it to their 20 friends to purchase it and the proceeds are distributed...you get a cut.

I would love to be part of that book if I can choose a genre. It ticks one of my bucket list
  8. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

@UmarBatchelor ,

That is a great reply and a reason why many think the idea good is generally.

Some think it won't offer a return on investment.

But if OP can tap into people's existing motivations and determine a way to package things in such a way that they have their motivations met at a price they would be willing to pay.

Viola - a business is born :)

Cheers
    Paul