Home – New Forums Get productive How do you beat procrastination? Reply To: How do you beat procrastination?

gregpritchard.virtualcio
  • Total posts: 51
Up
::

Some procrastination tips that I use, sometimes successfully, sometimes not:

1. Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA is quoted as saying “Time is your most important resource. You can do so much in ten minutes. Ten minutes, once gone, are gone for good.” – when I feel like there is too much to do, I follow this wisdom by focusing on one and only one thing for 10 minutes. Set your watch and work. Sometimes just the inertia of doing 10 minutes work will get you into the groove to finish what you started.

2. Price your time. Let’s say you pay yourself $100k (picking a round number, could have been $25k, $50k, $250k). That equates to roughly $50 per hour (based on standard HR numbers). Like a solicitor or accountant or consultant, track your time for every 15 or 30 minutes. At the end of the day, you need to have 6 or 8 or 12 hours completely accounted for. Now, when tracking your time, you also have to record when you’re goofing off. Then, at the end of the day or week; you can see, in real dollars, how much surfing, or housework (during the day) really costs you.

3. Make yourself accountable to someone else – such as a friend, partner, associate or your coach. Send an email to that person when you’ve finished an important task. Alternatively, set your tasks into BaseCamp (or similar) and have BaseCamp email when you the tasks are due to be completed.

4. Go and watch Andrew May’s presentation on personality types to understand when you work best. You can only procrastinate when your brain biologically isn’t switched on!

5. When I have a particularly complex problem to solve; I remove myself with the laptop to a cafe. Sometimes the issue isn’t proscrastination; its a lack of stimulation which is needed to re-wire your brain in order to solve something innovatively.

I’d be interested to hear more…..