Home – New Forums Starting your journey Does having a part-time job harm your business? Reply To: Does having a part-time job harm your business?

Renee Barber
  • Total posts: 360
Up
::

Hi Jay

When your business takes off, I believe there will definitely come a time when the juggling becomes too much since there are only so many hours in the day. For that reason, it might be best to ditch the part-time job before your health and/or personal time starts suffering. On the other hand, you may be one of those people who wilts a bit when away from the interaction of an office setting so the fifteen or so hours you’re working ‘out of doors’, may be the thing that keeps the pep in your step. The key is to, as others have advised, do what’s right for you, when it’s right for you.

I preferred a clean break when I started my business, but later became part of another company as I felt it had a ‘good fit’. That didn’t quite work out because just about the time my business started really picking up steam, the other one did too! At any rate, the experience was great as it (a) reminded me that I prefer to run the show and (b) sometimes it’s best to just make a clean break and concentrate on following your passion.

I have to say I find it to be incredible that a client would put in their tuppence about what you’ve elected to do with your career/livelihood. While you have an obligation to create great work for them within reasonable timelines, I cannot see how a client would believe they have the right to dictate how you manage your time. Have you read, ’50 ways to fire a client’? Google it; you might need it soon. *grin*

At any rate, good luck with your business and please keep us posted!