Home – New Forums Other discussions for fellow graphic designers Reply To: for fellow graphic designers

LeelaCosgrove
  • Total posts: 634
Up
::

While I get what you guys are saying – there’s a word you’re using that I’m concerned by …

“Fair”.

Life isn’t ‘fair’. Business isn’t ‘fair’. If you want to create an ‘equal playing field’, you take away the basic tennants of capitalism and you’re left with communism … which wasn’t ‘fair’ either.

I’m not a designer, but as a writer the service I offer is very similar … it got to the point with my business where my hourly rate got so high I struggled to find work – because people could go on Guru and get articles written for nothing.

Eventually I realised that if I kept doing what I was doing I couldn’t be competitive … so I took on people who wanted to get into writing, trained them and offered their basic level as a low level service to clients who needed that kind of a service … this is pretty much a loss leader for me – I make a very small profit from these articles.

However, it allows me to get clients into my funnel and then EDUCATE them.

Most of the clients who come in at this basic level end up moving up into the more advanced level of work.

This might not work for you … that’s not the point.

I get it’s not ‘fair’ – and I’m reminded of David Bowie in the movie Labyrinth …

“It’s not FAIR!”
“You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is?”

You can allow the situation to upset you.

Or you can turn your MASSIVELY CREATIVE brains towards finding a solution to deal with it.

You’re not going to get rid of the bargain basement designers. Just like I can’t get rid of the bargain basement writers.

So you have two choices …

1. Let it go on this way – and let’s face it, the biggest worry with this is that even GOOD designers in places like India and China are able to undercut you in price.

2. Come up with a solution …