Home – New Forums Other discussions Taking it personally Reply To: Taking it personally

LeelaCosgrove
  • Total posts: 634
Up
::

Andrew,

I understand the temptation to tell them to stick it, I am VERY firey by nature (combo of being a Taurean and having an Irish background) – but this is a mistake on SO many levels and only hurt you in the long run. You don’t want to get a reputation as being childish or unprofessional – even if the work you are doing is free.

At the end of the day, it’s their decision to make. If it’s the wrong one, it’s their mistake to make as well. You can guide a client but you can never make the decision for them.

The WORST thing you can do is to take this personally. Because it’s NOT personal (nothing in business ever is!) – they’re not saying “Andrew you suck. You’re a bad person and a bad designer …” – they’re saying they have made a different decision. That’s business and to be fair – they know their business better than you do. They MIGHT have made the right decision for them (and if they didn’t, as I said, that’s their mistake to make).

Be gracious and professional – and you should probably think about what you’ve posted here and whether that’s something you want your clients to see … this is an open forum that comes up high in Google rankings … any time you post something here you should do so with the expectation that both current clients and potential future clients will read it …