Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Pushy Salespeople Reply To: Pushy Salespeople

LeelaCosgrove
  • Total posts: 634
Up
::

I believe a great salesperson should actually make you feel happy about buying from them, create some excitement, it should be a positive and enjoyable experience for both parties.

I agree completely … what I wonder about is where the line is … because what you view as ‘pushy’ might to others just be ‘asking for the sale’.

What you discussed in your original post is called an ‘assumptive close’.

The point being you ask the prospect – “So, would you like it in red or black?” … or “So, would Tuesday or Wednesday be a better time for us to deliver?”. The assumptive close works under it’s own assumption … that if you don’t want to buy, you’ll say “I’m not ready to buy yet” – and then the sales person can go back and see what other objections you have – that is, what they haven’t told you that you need to know to buy.

To me, being pushy is saying:

“Hey – do you want to buy this?”
“What do you mean no??? What’s wrong with you?? Freaking buy it already.”

Which, while underneath many salespeople feel this way, is just bad manners.

That said – I don’t see anything wrong or pushy about an assumptive close. See in sales the most important thing is to get to the objection so you can find out what is REALLY holding people back. The assumptive close is a great way to get to the heart of the matter.

“Do you want it in red or black?”
“Hold on – I haven’t said I want it all.”
“Okay, well – what do you need to know to make that decision?”

Sales is a game. Don’t take it personally – the salesperson certainly isn’t! They’re just trying to get to the heart of your objection so that you’ll answer it …

They certainly don’t want you to buy something that you don’t want to buy … ask any salesperson and they’ll tell you the bane of their existence is refunds / unhappy clients.

So I agree it should be a fun experience – and most of the time I’ve found it is! In fact, on several occasions when selling for other people, clients have been shocked to find out I’m actually a salesperson …

That said, you don’t always get the sale by it just being fun and enjoyable. Sometimes, you have to bring in the pain – you have to remind the client of what they’re missing out on if they don’t buy your product … and sometimes you do have to call people when they’re being wishy washy …

I had a client who I was ‘nice’ to for a couple of months on the phone … We had great chats but he had taken up hours of my time and hadn’t made a decision … eventually I was just like …

“I love our chats – and you’re a great guy. But it’s time to make a decision. It’s been 8 weeks – why are you still putting off what you KNOW you need to do? That’s 8 weeks you could have been getting the results you wanted. It’s time for you to make a decision … “

He did … dropped $30k upfront on a program … and then hugged me and thanked me the next time I saw him for kicking his butt into gear and getting him moving.

There’s pushy and there’s pushy … but in most cases (and there are exceptions, I’ll admit) – the salesperson is just trying to sell you something they believe you need.

If you disagree, just tell them so – they’ll try and answer your objections, because that’s what we do – and if you convince them you’re right, then they’ll leave you alone and go on to the next person …

As Ben Affleck says in Boiler Room (one of my alltime favourite sales movies!)

“No sale? WRONG! A sale is made on every call! Either you sell him on the stock or he sells you on why he can’t. A sale is made on every call – the only question is, who’s it gonna be? You or him?”

If you’re more convinced you DON’T want something than the salesperson is that you do, you’ll win … they’ll move on …