Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Marketing critique Reply To: Marketing critique

gtgc
  • Total posts: 8
Up
::
Candela, post: 10050 wrote:
Leela,

* My target market is 90% Architects, 5% developers, 5% home builders.
* …?
* Why me – My work is significantly better than most for a competitive price.

I’m based on the Gold Coast.

Hi Martin

Plenty of good advice coming your way from this post. Here’s a bit more from me:

Think about your business, before you think about how to promote it.

That’s the targeting and value proposition area that Leela’s ably covered, so no need to repeat it.

But a couple more thoughts:

“My target market….” Try to apply the 80/20 rule. In most categories, 80% of sales come from the top 20% of customers. From what you’ve said, that would suggest concentrating solely on architects, and within that segment, focusing on only those practices that need the service you’re providing. eg; I don’t know anything about architects, but presumably some do their renderings in-house? So you’d leave them off your hotlist for a start.

You’ll already know other key differentiators from your understanding of the business. Try and use that knowledge to ‘hone down’ to a business type that represents your KEY target prospect – based on your unique proposition. If you want a result you must tell prospects something about your offer that’s different, yet relevant, and compelling. To them.

“Why me…..” : Instead of pitching your target clients via the standard mechanisms already outlined by other people here, what about trying a different tack?

Don’t just call and say “Hi, I’m good. Got any work?” (in effect).

These are challenging times, people are looking for solutions, collaborations, maybe even ways of ensuring their business survives to see better days. How do you think your prospects might respond to an approach that’s all about that?

For example:

Notwithstanding my earlier ‘dismissal’ of firms with in-house facilities, in the current economic climate, there could be an equally compelling argument for focusing entirely on those operators, offering to help them identify significant savings – by ditching the standing overhead of high staff costs, and replacing that with a project based approach, utilising your superior skills, available on-tap, without any overhead at all.

Your superior skills thus provide the solution to a business need they might not have thought about with the clarity you demonstrate. You’ve identified their need; which has created your opportunity, and that’s why you’re re-entering the market (SOT, you’d have to develop this much better of course.)

But the point is your approach is not solely about drawing/rendering. And it’s not about you being “significantly better than most for a competitive price”. It’s about adding value to their business, and saving them money, without compromising their quality standards. (Assuming you are in fact as good as you say you are.. ;-)

There’s heaps more you can think about I’m sure. I’m just recommending that you do the thinking before you do any more half-cocked marketing. After all, you only get one chance to make a first impression. And it’s vital to make sure it’s the right one.

One last thing. Nowhere in any of the responses you’ve received does anyone suggest that “good, and cheap” represents any kind of enticing platform for your business. The same should go for the people you choose to work with in positioning and promoting your business. If you want the best from your communications, from both a strategic and creative POV, I’d sincerely suggest not making price the key criterion in your selection of a copywriter. Beats me why so many people have this attitude that copy has to be cheap as well as good; or worse, that it’s something most could easily do themselves if only they weren’t so, so busy. Or whatever. (Sorry, just a small rant..)

Good luck Martin