Home – New Forums Starting your journey Types of insurance needed? Reply To: Types of insurance needed?

Solo Lawyer
  • Total posts: 42

Dear keepsmiling

I think Zippy is right. The client is likely to want you to get public liability and workers compensation.

In relation to public liability you should ask the client what level of cover they want before getting quotes. Obviously the amount you pay will depend on how much cover you get and your claims history.

Workers compensation is more complicated. If your business operates through a company, you will need to get workers compensation. The cost is usually a calculated as a percentage of your total wages bill – usually between 1.5 to 2%

However if you operate as a sole trader or partnership and do the work yourself, you do not need workers compensation. While WorkCover recommends that you get personal accident and illness policy or an income protection policy, this is not a legal requirement.

Have a look at the WorkCover site if you need any further information –

Michael Terceiro
Solo Lawyer