Home – New Forums Find the help you need Do you have a mentor and where did you find them?! Reply To: Do you have a mentor and where did you find them?!

LeelaCosgrove
  • Total posts: 634
Up
::

I spent $100,000 on mentoring / education in the first 3 years of my business – SMARTEST thing I ever did. It’s MORE than paid for itself.

My STRONG suggestions are:

* Find someone who has achieved what you want to achieve. They don’t have to be in your industry, but the closer they are the easier it will be. Remember: NOT ALL ADVICE IS CREATED EQUAL. Make sure you want the results of the person whose advice you choose to take.

* Find someone who’s done it the way you want to do it – you can still get the results YOU want from someone who has done it a different way, but it’s harder.

* Set yourself a tangible outcome from the mentoring you are going to get – e.g. $50,000 NEW revenue over the next 4 months totally attributable to what you’ve learned. Then track the results.

* Let your mentor know that you’re doing this UP FRONT. If they’re freaked out by it, probably not the mentor for you.

* Always remember that your mentor is just one more form of ADVICE – they’re not the be all and end all. You should ALWAYS consider what they have to say – and if you’ve chosen the right mentor remember that they’ve been where you are now and might be able to tell you something. However, if they ever tell you to do something that you feel doesn’t fit YOUR value system / vision for the business, feel free to disagree. It’s better to have a discussion than just go behind their backs, but never be afraid to buck authority!

Having a mentor is the BEST way to get where you want to go, fastest. A good mentor will cost – and will be worth every single cent. AS LONG as you get the right one … I REALLY can’t stress this enough … you need the RIGHT person for you … not all ‘mentors’ are created equal!