Home – New Forums Starting your journey Mortgage broking business? Reply To: Mortgage broking business?

Corinne
  • Total posts: 5
Up
::

I guess intially I just took every loan that came my way as I wanted the work and its hard to get the business up and running. most real estate agents and land selling organisations want a huge cut – usually around 50% of your upfront fee to get going, but initially i accepted what ever cut I could get as i just needed to get my name out there. as i did a good job, they passed my details onto their friends and family, so it takes some time, but it does build up. I didnt instinctively set out to only work during the day, but to be truthful, many people are too busy themselves also, and i was able to do much of the business over the phone, which is a great help. I had a checklist i emailed to each new client and ticked the boxes of the items that needed to do. with changes to the regulations there are certain things that have to be signed as orginals but i did have some clients i never even met as we did work well over email and phone. So it really gets down to your gift of the gab, and how good you are at working with people. i had a great knack of making them feel at ease with the process. i really prided myself on getting quite personally involved in their purchase/refinance and it really did pay off. so once you find your thing you can get comfortable with the lenders, their processes and idiosyncracies and allay clients fears or even prewarn them of what to expect throughout the process of their loan. lots of these conversations were done during the day while they were at work. they would go home and get the info i’d emailed them to provide and scan them and email them to me. it worked great for those with the technology. so you really can customise the lack of “physical” contact by making the phone service and email really personal, and therefore lessen the amount of night time work and weekend work. Most brokers work every night and every weekend, but i dont know how they’d do it!

as far as where to start looking to work, that really depends as your other reply stated, as to where you are based. and your state’s setup. I worked through a guy who had a couple of entity changes over the years, but got stuck with AFG as they were the biggest for a while in WA and had a few people by the short and curlies. but i think they all might know that. once you’ve been there a while you build up too much trail to just walk away…

i guess the best suggestion is to call all the brokers you can find close by where you want to work, and ask their advice and suggestions. I did find one about a year before i quit that was just a small band of guys but they’d negotiated a really good deal with another wholesaler. cant remember who it was, but again it all depends on the people you want to work with.

my experience – as an investor – was that 90% of the brokers were single loan bog standard loan type of guys, and there were 10% out there who were outside the box. I think I was one of those, but there were lots of people who worked for just one or two lenders. and that is just crap. you cant call yourself a broker if you work like that. but again the licensing didnt address that. so you really need to do some home work with the people you choose to get involved with. if they cut too many corners they might end up short cutting you too. i guess its an ethical debate. i have very high ethics, even though i did lodoc loans. i think the best advice i can give is dont rush into a quick decision on who to work through. as it can be a very costly mistake if you have to pull out a year later. you’ll loose all your trail and have to start building it up again.

best of luck!