Home – New Forums Tech talk Your first computer? Reply To: Your first computer?

Dave Bockett
  • Total posts: 97
Up
::

It would have been some time around 1983 or 1984 and it was my Dad’s old IBM computer from his work. It had a green screen, ran an early version of DOS and a massive separate 3 bay 8in floppy drive. It used to run his companies accounting software and think he paid something like $15,000 for it at the time! I think we sold it shortly afterwards for about $20 to someone who would come and collect it!

After that was of course the Commodore 64 with tape drive. I remember buying one game and every time you died it had to load the whole game again from the tape which took something like 5-10 mins. So easy to copy games though – just put it in your double tape deck getto blaster and make a copy.

After that a orange screen XT with 5 1/2 inch floppy drive. Many an hour wasted playing Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest, Kings Quest etc..

I think we missed the 286 and when straight to a 386. Remember the old turbo button on those? Why would you want it run at 12mhz when you could turbo it up to a super fast 25mhz?

Dave.