Home – New Forums Tech talk Major changes to Google.com.au Reply To: Major changes to Google.com.au

JohnW
  • Total posts: 2,642
Up
::

Hi,
GIVE ME BACK MY AUST PAGES RADAR BUTTONS, PLEASE GOOGLE!!!!

Sorry about that.

Google has been bringing this in for a while. If you use IE 8, Google has been delivering this new page layout for several weeks. What we now see is the page layout if you clicked the “More options” function in the old Google layout.

If you are not seeing it, it may be because you are viewing a Google “home” page version that has not yet been amended.

I tried phoning Google a few years back to ask about the incidence of Aust pages searches but was politely told that Google regarded this information as “commercially confidential”.

Anecdotally and logically, I expect the Aust pages button would be very frequently used and its use increasing.

I don’t think this layout is motivated by a better user experince, I think it is about Google sticking more of its revenue generating options in front of people’s eyes. (Google owns YouTube and Ebooks).

I find that Google’s recent attempts to anticipate what it thinks is important me is driving me to using other search engines.

In case you don’t know. Google intruduced Universal search that artificially elevated videos, images, job sites, news sites and PDF (read E-Books) into the top rankings for short search phrases. What that did was force everyone to use longer search phrases and more searches to find the info they were seeking.

To Samot: You are probably experiencing the fallout from Google’s latest plague. It’s called “caffeine”. I think it will be temporary (read up to 3 months) but watch it like a hawk. Search for ‘Google caffeine” and you will find around 3 mill pages. Here is one of many webmaster forums discussing the impact on websites: http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4125460.htm

Regs,

John W