Home – New Forums Logistics Sole Distributors Rights? Reply To: Sole Distributors Rights?

createdevelop
  • Total posts: 171
Up
::

I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on the rights of sole distributors for me?

If there is a sole distributor for a product in Australia can I still source the same product internationally and then re-sell it in Australia as long as i’m not selling it at wholesale to other businesses?

I’m asking this because I cannot purchase the full range of a certian brand I want from the Australian Distributor and they will not order it in for me.

You can get into some grey areas here, as there are different laws governing imports, and parallel importing, so I would suggest you seek legal advice. However, as a marketing genius I can offer this as a guide; If you purchase a product overseas and import it legally, there is no reason why you can’t sell it in Australia, for whatever price you want, to whomever you want.

Obviously there are a lot of things to consider, like support/warranty on the product, who is liable if the product explodes etc.

However there should be no reason why you can’t import a product, and infact I think the ACCC actually protects people who import products like this.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/179183